• There is NO official Otland's Discord server and NO official Otland's server list. The Otland's Staff does not manage any Discord server or server list. Moderators or administrator of any Discord server or server lists have NO connection to the Otland's Staff. Do not get scammed!

Jfrye's Mapping Pieces

I know these two caves arent that great. What would you guys recommend I change/delete/add to make the two caves look better?

wolf.png
skeletoncave.png

Last edited:
I know these two caves arent that great. What would you guys recommend I change/delete/add to make the two caves look better?

Sometimes seeing is better than reading a description. Here's something I made in 10-15 minutes based on your first picture. It's a rough idea, and I would tweak it more, but I don't have much time to do so at the moment.

FEtnqcW.png

Here's a download link if you want to dissect the piece. I'd recommend importing the map on a blank map if you aren't able to open it.

Last edited:
Your nature is way more better than your caves I dint like the troll cave :( the shape was bad and you could use the gravel way more better its just thrown there with auto border.

Like @Dark199 stated, sometimes seeing is better, i learn A LOT from just watching and analysing other peoples maps and get inspiration from it, try look around at the forum if you find something thats " OH MY GOD" then try recreate it with a little touch of your own mapping style aswell, but do like the same theme and so on! :)

I think you have the basics down pretty good, just keep on doing it and you will do great man :)

Sometimes seeing is better than reading a description. Here's something I made in 10-15 minutes based on your first picture. It's a rough idea, and I would tweak it more, but I don't have much time to do so at the moment.

FEtnqcW.png

Here's a download link if you want to dissect the piece. I'd recommend importing the map on a blank map if you aren't able to open it.
Thank you for taking the time to do this. That looks so much better than mine, and has helped me to get better ideas. As you can see, caves are something I still need to work on more. My biggest issue, in my opinion, is the detailing. I know the shapes need work, but that's easier to fix.

Your nature is way more better than your caves I dint like the troll cave :( the shape was bad and you could use the gravel way more better its just thrown there with auto border.
What is wrong with the shape? I ask so I can see why you said it, which may help me improve overall.

Like @Dark199 stated, sometimes seeing is better, i learn A LOT from just watching and analysing other peoples maps and get inspiration from it, try look around at the forum if you find something thats " OH MY GOD" then try recreate it with a little touch of your own mapping style aswell, but do like the same theme and so on! :)

I think you have the basics down pretty good, just keep on doing it and you will do great man :)
Thanks for the input. Looking through my thread people are starting to to see my weak points so far, and areas I need to improve on. I try to look through the forums for the areas I'm working on, such as a troll cave or something, but half the time images don't work bc the threads are so old. It makes it a tad bit harder for me to get ideas, so I do the best I can, and place items that I think look good in there. Ofcourse, everyone's opinions vary, so I've been coming here to get more opinions.

Thanks everyone for the input so far. Any and all help is appreciated.

your nature is pure amzingness, i really enjoy this style maping. its simple, not overdetailed, but also not boring in the same time. i would love to walk through such nature. please continue with this maping style.

your caves are a but boring, but maybe its because i usually dont like caves.

well, i am amazed by your nature mapings, post more, i will be happy to see

edit: the swamp wasnt that good :/ too many colours at once

your nature is pure amzingness, i really enjoy this style maping. its simple, not overdetailed, but also not boring in the same time. i would love to walk through such nature. please continue with this maping style.

your caves are a but boring, but maybe its because i usually dont like caves.

well, i am amazed by your nature mapings, post more, i will be happy to see

edit: the swamp wasnt that good :/ too many colours at once

Thank you. I appreciate it. I understand the caves and swamp suck. They are definitely on my list to redo and improve really soon.

wolf.png

I attempted to do this wolf cave over. Here is my outcome. Please let me know what your opinions are now.

wolf1.png

Last edited:
In an attempt to make my swamp not suck, I have also started it all over. You can see above how bad it was, and now Ill post up what I have done so far. Please tell me your opinions so I can improve this one as I go.

swampredo.png

Last edited:
Getting more work done in different areas of the map. Here I want to show you a couple pictures of a bear cave. Be warned that the first picture is awful, and honestly I made it a year ago when I first started this project. I copied it to my new map, and gave it a revamp. Please tell me what you think, and also please tell me what the new cave is missing (I feel like I'm forgetting something).

Old Cave:
bearold.png

New Cave:

bearnew.png
Thoughts on the new cave?

Last edited:
Really happy about how you listen to the tips people give you, the new bearcave is really good :)

Really happy about how you listen to the tips people give you, the new bearcave is really good :)

You are improving so much its so much fun to see

Ure getting better and better! Great job man.. Will follow ur progress :)

Thank you guys. It helps to inspire me to do better when I hear great words like these.

On a side note, does anyone have any opinions of the start of the swamp I posted above?

Getting more work done tonight, and I'm back for more opinions.

First one is the swamp that I am in the process of redoing. Its still a work in progress, but I'm wanting to know if the shape looks more playable now. Also, does it look less autobordered?

Swamp :
swampredo1.png

Secondly is a small snake cave under the swamp. I'm also wanting to get opinions about the cave, like whats its missing, and if the borders used look right. I'm not too sure if the borders look right to me.

Snake Cave:
snake.png

Last edited:
More work on the swamp. Opinions? Does it need more variation with dirt and grass?

swampredo2.png

Last edited:
Here are some ingame pics of the swamp and the bear cave.

Swamp:

swamp in game 1.png

swamp in game 2.png

swamp in game 3.png

swamp in game 4.png

swamp in game 5.png

Bear cave:

bearcaveingame1.png

bearcaveingame2.png

bearcaveingame3_zpsuu7qtgcz.png

Last edited:
Back