• There is NO official Otland's Discord server and NO official Otland's server list. The Otland's Staff does not manage any Discord server or server list. Moderators or administrator of any Discord server or server lists have NO connection to the Otland's Staff. Do not get scammed!

Jfrye's Mapping Pieces

Here is another small wolf cave I made. Looking to get opinions again on what it could use for improvement.

Wolf Cave:

I think it is best to use some other type of grass for the insides of a cave, but I'd keep it just as long as the grass tuffs are ON the grass and not on the dirt.

Looks good, a lil bit too much grasstuffs on the dirt and too few on the grass borders. The stairs could have some mountainwall behind it so yo can't climb it from behind. It also looks better that way.

I think it is best to use some other type of grass for the insides of a cave, but I'd keep it just as long as the grass tuffs are ON the grass and not on the dirt.

Looks good, a lil bit too much grasstuffs on the dirt and too few on the grass borders. The stairs could have some mountainwall behind it so yo can't climb it from behind. It also looks better that way.

Thanks for the input guys. I appreciate it.

Im back with another small piece and needing opinions. If anyone has read through previous posts, you would see that I really suck at swamps.

Well here is another attempt at a swamp. It is a very basic outline, and just looking to see what opinions are so far. Swamps are my nemesis.

another swamp.png

Last edited:
You use 8.6? otherwise there is a lot more swamp sprites that looks so much better and can even be mixed with old ones..
it makes it look way better.

How ever to stay on topic, for a classic swamp, the outline looks good, however there should be some "larger" field with just grass inside the swamp ( my opinion ) and not just small narrow paths surrounded by swamp.. (bad mothafuckin explanation). hope you get it :)
and also it would be nice with some floor changes ( mountain perhaps? ) not just flat swamp on grass :) ( once again my opinion)

Here is another small wolf cave I made. Looking to get opinions again on what it could use for improvement.

Wolf Cave:

This looks gorgeous tbh, just as magnetico said, use other grass type or moss instead, reason is that grass needs sunlight to grow, but since it's a cave there won't be much sunlight for it to grow, perhaps SOME grass or leaves at the entrance but not that many in the rest of the cave.

However, that's just my opinion and if you like it as it is (like I do) keep it as is :)

You use 8.6? otherwise there is a lot more swamp sprites that looks so much better and can even be mixed with old ones..
it makes it look way better.

How ever to stay on topic, for a classic swamp, the outline looks good, however there should be some "larger" field with just grass inside the swamp ( my opinion ) and not just small narrow paths surrounded by swamp.. (bad mothafuckin explanation). hope you get it :)
and also it would be nice with some floor changes ( mountain perhaps? ) not just flat swamp on grass :) ( once again my opinion)

I use 10.77. I just prefer these sprites.

This looks gorgeous tbh, just as magnetico said, use other grass type or moss instead, reason is that grass needs sunlight to grow, but since it's a cave there won't be much sunlight for it to grow, perhaps SOME grass or leaves at the entrance but not that many in the rest of the cave.

However, that's just my opinion and if you like it as it is (like I do) keep it as is :)

Thank you.

Here is more work on the swamp, if I can get more opinions.

Apparently I cant upload from photobucket anymore

another swamp 1.png

Last edited:
I would reccomend Gyazo for your next uploads or just uploading to imgur. Its nice to see you back at mapping again, was wondering what happened to you.

I would reccomend Gyazo for your next uploads or just uploading to imgur. Its nice to see you back at mapping again, was wondering what happened to you.

Thanks for the upload advice. it's weird that it won't let me use photobucket, bc I just uploaded one from there less than a week ago.

I'm glad to be back to mapping. I took a little break from it, but back now.

Hey guys. Ive been working on the map, but havent really uploaded any pics. Taking a break from Rook for a bit, and starting on a new town. Im uploading a picture of a temple for the new town. It doesnt seem quite right to me. Something with the archway at the entrance, and just the symmetry of it seems off, but then again it doesnt. So if you guys can give me your opinions on how to change the temple, or leave it alone, it would be appreciated.

Temple:
Naporia Temple.png

put the right basin 1 sqm to the left
the shape is too cookie cutter, make something a bit larger with more detail on the walls

Tibia's 2D aspect forces you to either choose to make the walls symmetrical or the pathable ground tiles symmetrical.
As an example; The carved tile in the middle has three pathable sqm to the east and west. The the wall withthe circle thing has one wall to the east and two walls to the west. You simply choose pathable symmetry and that's why it seems off but isn't.
Your coal basins, as Static_ mentionned, are also throwing you off; one is two sqm to the east of the carved tile, one is three sqm to the west. The distances don't match.

The symmetry is probably why your archway looks off. Your pathable tiles is based on uneven numbers but your archway has an even amount of pathable tiles.

Generally I'd say make the building larger so you have more room to smooth out symmetry oddities.

put the right basin 1 sqm to the left
the shape is too cookie cutter, make something a bit larger with more detail on the walls

Tibia's 2D aspect forces you to either choose to make the walls symmetrical or the pathable ground tiles symmetrical.
As an example; The carved tile in the middle has three pathable sqm to the east and west. The the wall withthe circle thing has one wall to the east and two walls to the west. You simply choose pathable symmetry and that's why it seems off but isn't.
Your coal basins, as Static_ mentionned, are also throwing you off; one is two sqm to the east of the carved tile, one is three sqm to the west. The distances don't match.

The symmetry is probably why your archway looks off. Your pathable tiles is based on uneven numbers but your archway has an even amount of pathable tiles.

Generally I'd say make the building larger so you have more room to smooth out symmetry oddities.

Thank you for the input guys. I knew something seemed off, but it was giving me a hard time. I'll give it another try here in a bit and post more results.

Here is another shot at the temple. I think all I did was make it a little wider, add the columns and another set of stairs. Input is appreciated.Naporia Temple1.png

Got some more work done on the new town this evening. Its just a Depot and a couple houses. The ship in the back is how the mail is brought in. I know it doesnt really fit because of Depot boxes, but I feel it adds a little realism (maybe its just in my head).

So as always, any input is appreciated.

Naporia DP and houses.png

The temple looks better than before, but it still looks too plain. It has no spirit. There are no windows, too few details and it looks too white.

The depot seem to have a bit too many dustbins and mailboxes. You could even cut down on the wall lights and add windows.
I would try to make the depot more compact. The north part has 4 lockers, which is nice. But then you spread out 8 lockers two-by-two. I think two-by-two lockers are okey, but don't place 4 of them like that.

Use the red tiles instead, you can walkthrough these.

ba68ba34fcd1dd044847adbf058e7685.png

The house up against the stone wall like this doesn't look good.
6c0537ef2cc55563309069478298283d.png

I like the boat idea a lot. It sure does add a realistic aspect to it! Although, I dislike this part.

079c05ab38e97d12852abf717d96d125.png

The windows are just overkill. Don't place so many in a house, and having two beside the door like this won't look good when you open them.
1a2b3e8f635d30200c2954c0523746d1.png

It seems as your open nature is much better than caves, towns etc. Keep experimenting with structures.
Good job man keep it up!

thank you for the input @Kaspar.

Personally I don't like the red depot tiles. I never have. so if the Grey ones can be walked through, I'll add a movement script to them or something.

As far as the dustbin and mailboxes, I just tried to make every depot easily accessible to them, but I see your point. I'll see if I can figure something else out with them.

What would you guys change about the house up against the stone wall? Would you have made it all stone walls instead? I see what you mean about the windows too. I put one of them in the wrong place, as the lower part by the bed doesn't have one like I meant for it to.

Lastly, for the area by the boat, what are the recommendations on this? is it all the pillars, or the area with the torches? Or is it just the whole thing in general?

you should probably try something like abandoned laboratory

Thank you for the input. those peice are no longer a part of the map, but I will definitely keep your suggestion in mind for future parts of the map.

Back