• There is NO official Otland's Discord server and NO official Otland's server list. The Otland's Staff does not manage any Discord server or server list. Moderators or administrator of any Discord server or server lists have NO connection to the Otland's Staff. Do not get scammed!

Leveraging AI to Modify Maps in Remere's Map Editor (RME) for Open Tibia - Discussion and Possibilities

loreal

Reaction score
Hello everyone,

I would like to initiate a discussion on the use of Artificial Intelligence (AI) for modifying and optimizing maps in Remere's Map Editor (RME) for Open Tibia. I've been thinking about this idea for some time, and I believe that with recent advancements in AI technology, this possibility is increasingly becoming a reality.

Based on my research, here are some possible approaches:

1. Machine Learning:

One way to do this would be through the use of Machine Learning techniques. This would involve training an AI on a large amount of existing maps, allowing it to learn the characteristics of 'good' and 'bad' maps. Over time, the AI could then be used to generate new maps based on this knowledge, or modify existing maps to improve them. There are many Machine Learning techniques that could be used for this, from Convolutional Neural Networks to understand the spatial structure of maps, to genetic algorithms for optimization.

2. Procedural Generation:

Another approach would be procedural generation. Instead of training the AI on existing maps, we could program it with a set of rules and guidelines to create maps. Procedural generation is common in many games and could be an interesting way to create new maps that are unique yet still follow a certain design pattern.

3. Combination of Machine Learning and Procedural Generation:

I believe the most exciting approach would be to combine both methods. We would use Machine Learning to understand what makes a map 'good' or 'bad,' and then use this information to inform the procedural generation. This would allow the creation of unique maps that are also optimized for gameplay.

Challenges

There are several challenges we would have to overcome to implement this idea:

• Collecting Training Data: We would need a large amount of existing maps to train the AI. Collecting these data could be a challenging task.
  • Code Adaptation: The RME code, available at GitHub - hampusborgos/rme: Remere's Map Editor (https://github.com/hampusborgos/rme), would have to be adapted to allow the AI to interact with it.
  • Training Time: Training an AI to understand and create maps could take a significant amount of time, depending on the complexity of the map and the amount of data available.
  • Validation and Testing: Checking whether the maps generated or modified by the AI are playable and fun will be a significant challenge.
I would love to hear your thoughts on this idea. Is there anyone with experience in AI who could contribute to this discussion? Any feedback or suggestions are welcomed.

Wow, it is a great discussion! I really love to see the applicability of AI in everything. I think that all three methods are good one and I algo agree that the 3rd one can be really interesting. I would need to study more about mapping to apply specific rules but I don't think you really need to use rme. You can use an adapted version of otbm to json (I think just a search is enough to find it). Anyway, I really liked this idea!
I dont think AI will be possible to create what we want + Who cares about hardcore custom maps in 2023
Overall could be something cool but not needed
I think this comment adds nothing to the thread, it just limit the potential of using AI and clearly ignorant it and all other niches that you're not involved at. (yes, the world is bigger than you think)

Wow, it is a great discussion! I really love to see the applicability of AI in everything. I think that all three methods are good one and I algo agree that the 3rd one can be really interesting. I would need to study more about mapping to apply specific rules but I don't think you really need to use rme. You can use an adapted version of otbm to json (I think just a search is enough to find it). Anyway, I really liked this idea!

I think this comment adds nothing to the thread, it just limit the potential of using AI and clearly ignorant it and all other niches that you're not involved at. (yes, the world is bigger than you think)
You are right my bad sorry

Hi there,

Thank you for your enthusiasm and your great input! You're absolutely correct that we could use an adapted version of OTBM to JSON. This could indeed simplify the process of interfacing with the AI system, as it could potentially work directly with the JSON data rather than through the RME. This is definitely something worth exploring further.

The main advantage of using the RME would be the possibility to leverage its existing functionality, like its rendering engine and user interface. This could allow for easier visualization and manual editing of the AI-generated maps. But your suggestion offers a more flexible way that could also reduce the complexity of the task.

It’s exciting to see this discussion progressing, and I appreciate your contribution. Let's continue exploring these possibilities!

I managed to run a small tibia like game in the browser using otbm2json library and this converter of spr files:

Back