• There is NO official Otland's Discord server and NO official Otland's server list. The Otland's Staff does not manage any Discord server or server list. Moderators or administrator of any Discord server or server lists have NO connection to the Otland's Staff. Do not get scammed!

Linux sucks balls.

linux is basicaly written 'by user for user' and its not popular as windows nowadays thats why its 'hard' for newcommers, windows is writing for users with no informatic school by so big corporation they make everything look pathetic simple.

lol grow up kid..look at my scripts..you wouldnt talk anymore :D
scripts? lol
you buy them or get someone to make them, im not trying to start a problem but just saying.. i dont love to see ppl acting big when theyre not

scripts? lol
you buy them or get someone to make them, im not trying to start a problem but just saying.. i dont love to see ppl acting big when theyre not

I helped make every one of my scripts -.- who r u lol.

linux is basicaly written 'by user for user' and its not popular as windows nowadays thats why its 'hard' for newcommers, windows is writing for users with no informatic school by so big corporation they make everything look pathetic simple.

yea makes sense..thats wat im trying to say.

Windows pay over 30million EUR in tickets from EU every day because they break the law forcing producers to include Windows in order to keep the deals. Still they know if they stop with it they die.

So, let the next generation use Linux instead of Windows and the problem is solved.

Last edited by a moderator:
No, you use the package system...

Wine Is Not an Emulator

Ventrilo works in Wine, and there is a open source project for it too (don't remember what it was called tho)

It's hard to run oldest ventrilo 2.1.4 in linux.
It's easy with newest version tho.

i thinks this is realy stupid its a processing system...... simple or not does it realy matter

I was always using Windows, now I gave a try for Linux to host my server, it's working great, I still dont know anything about it, atleast not much. But I'll make my other computer to Linux, and use the terminal etc and then I'll learn more, or I'll use Virtualbox :p

I've used Linux not a lot but much, both in school and home. Right now i'm using windows, But when i'm done with school (3 months left) i'm going to permanently remove Windows from my Laptop an install Gentoo or something on it.

And no, Linux is not that hard :p if you got a logic"?" mind and know what google is you can solve the most of it.

Also if you encounter a strange problem there's always a IRC chatt for almost each Distro with ppl online 24/7 that can help. not like microsoft were you need to send a damp email and get a support answer 1 week later were someone answers that doesn't know a shit...

It is generally true of many people to use linux as a system which installs on hosting, becauseit has the best ram, processor. :p

I've used Linux not a lot but much, both in school and home. Right now i'm using windows, But when i'm done with school (3 months left) i'm going to permanently remove Windows from my Laptop an install Gentoo or something on it.

And no, Linux is not that hard :p if you got a logic"?" mind and know what google is you can solve the most of it.

Also if you encounter a strange problem there's always a IRC chatt for almost each Distro with ppl online 24/7 that can help. not like microsoft were you need to send a damp email and get a support answer 1 week later were someone answers that doesn't know a shit...

For laptops I'll prefer Archlinux so you don't have to use up your battery when you do install/upgrades.

Why not? works just as good as Windows maybe even better
I've used Linux as my day to day operativesystem for the last 5 years, and had it on my computer for 6. Now I can barely use Windows because it lakes all the nice things you eventually start to take forgiven. How the heck can you live without multiple desktops, highly customable UI and always on top? Or compize right top corner function?

hats the problem? You shouldn't install linux if you have no idea how to use it.
You shouldn't install Windows, ever.

For laptops I'll prefer Archlinux so you don't have to use up your battery when you do install/upgrades.

Don't really care about the battery time :p my battery is broken so you can't have it unplugged for more then 5-10 mins before it shuts down xP

And no i don't have the cash to buy a new, costs like 80EUR

I can see both points.

Slain wants ease (He might have his reasons to keep windows).

I also have to admit, LINUX IS BETTER (Easier than windows, stuff is more logical, BUT, you're used to windows) , I had used it for like 3 months , but I gave up when couldn't make games work properly (Ofc it was my own fault, didn't have enough libs I guess).

And Stian has been using it for a while, learned it, and is happy with it (i'd be happy to , if I knew, or wasn't too lazy to learn).

Of course stability seems attractive, I've just had a 230 hour uptime using windows tho, just got a crash for an Admin's pathetic mistake (Item creation BUG).
But I guess Slain, your problem with stability on windows (At least you seem to have) , has to do with your scripts, like it happenned to me.

So it's not like I'm taking parts, but I prefer windows cause my Admins are able to use it too (they WON'T learn linux, nobody in my server even knows what is a terminal).

Keeping it "winblows", but still. I like that cause I AM LAZY and my gay admins wouldn't like to.
I just think that scripts shouldn't be case sensitve (I noticed I couldn't host it on linux for this only reason, and I got many many SELFMADE scripts that would take loads of time to be fixed)

Ps :

Last year, when I went to a famous brazilian computer store, ALL I SAW, was windows computers.
Now when I went there, like a week ago, 40% of the laptops had Linux on it (They had such an ugly interface which could be better, maybe a KDE plx).
But still, my friend who works there told me that sales were like :
From 100 computer bought, 70 were windows and the rest would be linux (They do not work with apple comps)
Dunno if that happens abroad too.

So I guess that in no time we'll have to learn linux.
Better,safer,faster.

its not too much for me lmao..its a FACT that windows is 10x easier to run than linsucks..ITS more stable to host on linsucks only because the devs made it that way..if they had windows OS'es I guarantee windows users would have a much easier time..I dont host linsucks because I want too trust me..I had to.

Its hard for me because my ot of 300+ active players went offline overnight and I had to switch operating systems..its a pain in the ass when you have to download all your drivers again, compile ip changers, edit all your scripts because now there CASE SENSITIVE LOL, compile a new ot differently using this OS. I dont even think you can play most games on ubuntu compared to windows lol.

bet you feel like a big man calling someone stupid

Most linux distros are FAR FAR more superior than Windows. Windows is for HOME USERS. It should NOT be used for servers and it should NOT be used for development environments. I use Windows 7, Mac OSX, and Debian / Ubuntu. I must say that Windows is ONLY good for playing games. I use Mac OSX on my Laptop because it gets the best battery life. Debian is amazing for hosting servers. Its REALLY REALLY easy to use and is so much more efficient with resources than Windows will ever be. And IMO, servers should not have a graphic interface...it should be command line.

From 100 computer bought, 70 were windows and the rest would be linux.

Linux is free, so the PC price is lower, then they can install windows and crack it, which is not a big problem.

Keep in mind this: Linux is easier to maintain. And there is MORE guids for Linux then Windows (=earier to learn), try learning Windows in the age of 50? Few manage, but even my mother manage to use Ubuntu.

To people who get scared of a terminal. Well, noone forces you to use the UI on a server, it's optional (but few use it). Just like the UI is optional on Windows Server (but more use it). To be honest I don't se the point having a UI on your server, whatever it's Windows or Linux. But you you prefer a UI, then just install it on Linux. Google "Ubuntu Freenx".

man, if you think that write: dont know... yum install 1of1093819208390183123132packages... or aptitude install thesamepackage or whatever...

could you please... use the GUI? dah?...

and I can tell you a feature from Windows:

IT STILLS COME WITH CMD!

cmd ftw! :)

if thereisnocommandline then
you are screwed
else
that is GOD...

and i will not talk about if gnu linux is faster, winbugs is faster or whatever... I can tell you something:

GNU LINUX IS FASTER, WINDOWS SLOWER, they are coded in that way so DONT COMPARE LINUX WITH WINDOWS... they both can do the same shit!

i have used it for more than 6 months now... and if u work with gnu linux, windows, mac os, solaris, hp-ux you shouldnt care they work for god sake!

that's all, cambio y fuera!

Back