• There is NO official Otland's Discord server and NO official Otland's server list. The Otland's Staff does not manage any Discord server or server list. Moderators or administrator of any Discord server or server lists have NO connection to the Otland's Staff. Do not get scammed!

Linux sucks balls.

I'm very happy to have my server running linux now, its just way more stable en way faster, yes it requires some learning but didn't Windows when you bought it?
Doesn't every new OS of Windows require a bit more learning cause they move stuff around?

At the moment I'm just running my netbook on linux and my "game station" still on windows cause I'm also to lazy to get all games for linux.

Though I take my netbook more often than my pc when I'm not gaming even though it has the crappy keyboard and mouse, it just works better.

You don't need to learn anything for windows even with a different OS..everything installs automatically with a pretty user interface unlike most of the linux programs..if im wrong plz correct me lol..

Its said that only idiots will use idiot-proof product and thats what is happening to windoze. The newer version it is the more idiot-proof, you-can-turn-off-your-brain like applications and solutionos are introduced. And if you start using a computer in such environment no wonder you will hit a wall when you need to actually use your brain, to think what you do to make things work. Thats why linux is so cursed upon, some people are just plain afraid of using their own brains, if they still have it. You know - if you dont use a body part it deteriorates and eventually vanishes :D.

Enough philosophy. For me linux is good choice for servers, both hosting servers and server-routers. Everything can be configured from command line interface or web based interface, thats why you dont need any GUI and thats saves resources. And sometimes it even saves time - think how long would it take to write text file script with IP, network speed and MAC adresses for 100 customers behind your server-router and how much time would it take to type it in into some GUI based windows routing program. But in its current stage of development i would not recomend this OS for home/family PC.

So, slain. You know that those pleaces arent working right. War arena, Capture the flag and King of the hill.

Actually those events are exclusive to Slain...working 100%

There may be other servers with these events but I have some of the most advanced versions out there ;) keep talkin.

Actually those events are exclusive to Slain...working 100%

There may be other servers with these events but I have some of the most advanced versions out there ;) keep talkin.

And I have the most advanced :p

Well I'm not an expert of linux, but I was hosting OT on it, and I compiled it without any big problems, also secured a bit and never had any problems with it.

Alright, i am probably an old-ass fogie compared to some of you, and i have a lot of experience with MS-DOS, so i know where this guy is coming from with his statement that linux command line is alien in every way. but you need to understand that if youre using an OS and you hate it, check with BOTH crowd-sourcing and official documentation before you assume that the operating system itself is a peice of sh*t. at least make sure you've tried all ubuntu distributions, and could you tell me what your problem is with debian files? be careful: many people judge ubuntu and linux based on only one distro: Unity. everyone hates Unity. Unity is a bulky, slow, and less friendly version of ubuntu than other distros. many people have only tried ubuntu Unity and assumed it was the only distro and said it sucks. i myself use XFCE version of ubuntu, which is only 250 MB, requires 15 MB of RAM to run, and runs games like Minecraft and Team Fortress 2 at almost 50 FPS, and i only have 2 GB of ram.

Alright, i am probably an old-ass fogie compared to some of you, and i have a lot of experience with MS-DOS, so i know where this guy is coming from with his statement that linux command line is alien in every way. but you need to understand that if youre using an OS and you hate it, check with BOTH crowd-sourcing and official documentation before you assume that the operating system itself is a peice of sh*t. at least make sure you've tried all ubuntu distributions, and could you tell me what your problem is with debian files? be careful: many people judge ubuntu and linux based on only one distro: Unity. everyone hates Unity. Unity is a bulky, slow, and less friendly version of ubuntu than other distros. many people have only tried ubuntu Unity and assumed it was the only distro and said it sucks. i myself use XFCE version of ubuntu, which is only 250 MB, requires 15 MB of RAM to run, and runs games like Minecraft and Team Fortress 2 at almost 50 FPS, and i only have 2 GB of ram.
6-Gold.jpg

Is fairy easy to create an otserv using Linux, at least, using something like Debian, all the installation process of the dependencies of opentibia can be done with a single command, same with opentibia downloading/compilation, and then again with apache2-php-mysql.

But apparently you failing in the begin, which is turning on your neurons.

If you want Windows like Linux you could try Linux Mint, that is really user-friendly.

lol installing files is a pain in the ass..this whole package manager system is garbage..everything you do has to be typed in a command prompt this reminds me of like old old ass version of windows. It runs better because its stripped to nothing...vista/windows 7 actually has FEATURES and with features can come bugs..

Which linux version are you using?

I see you mad and calling people names a lot. That's not how you get help!
If you want some help with linux I will gladly show you how easy it is. I don't care which system it is you are using. If you hate linux that bad, download ubuntu right now! I don't care if it's a fork from ubuntu, xubunut, lubuntu, or linux mint. Do it now my friend. You download any new release of something at-least made from the newest release of ubuntu and I can have you fresh server's (web and forgotten(ot)) up in less than a half hr on chat!

I promise you it is not as hard as you think. I was stuck there myself at one point man. Thinking the only way to do anything was by using the terminal. Always having to remember to sudo, constantly checking the internet for the correct command for my specific version of linux. Sudo apt-get this, sudo apt that, blah blah blah.

You already made it past the hardest part. Installing linux! Once you have that done the rest is a breeze I promise you.

Once you get the important programs installed its easy as hell. Ubuntu already comes installed with the essential programs, hell, it, like many others, has its own unique software installer! Since its based off debian you can find almost anything that comes in linux too and install it very easily using .deb files.

Yes thats how much I don't like Linux..I actually made a thread about it.

Hosting may be stabler but its generally 10x harder than hosting on windows..I still dont understand why these distros are built around a os that requires so much experience.

Don't post here saying linux is easy to use because you either never used windows or are just being ignorant.

Most devs are try hard nerds/hipsters that is why they prefer Linux.

People prefer linux because for anything else OTHER than gaming is way better

Last edited:
Back