• There is NO official Otland's Discord server and NO official Otland's server list. The Otland's Staff does not manage any Discord server or server list. Moderators or administrator of any Discord server or server lists have NO connection to the Otland's Staff. Do not get scammed!

Make more OTs for Linux/UNIX based systems!!

Basse

Expert Tutor
Reaction score
I mean while UNIX and Linux based systems are the most stable and best performance with running a server, theres most servers for Windows, I don't understand, Windows is meaned to play on not running servers, Linux/UNIX is more made for that, cant you see it? and don't host servers and play on the same Computer, It makes it lag, and slows it!
can't you guys see, Ye i kno' im a UNIX Freak, but still im running Windows on my primary PC and Ubuntu on my secondary laptop

nah Windows is very good for hosting too. Look at Plesk. In Windows Plesk can handly php4 and 5 at the same time. In Linux you must code code code to get it to work and it dont work 100%. Windows is easy way ... everyone have it and to run a server you can have windows too. Why should work windows bad'er than linux? In the statistics stays that microsoft come back with his good software and there were better and better!

If you host a server with linux and play it on the same machine than you got lag too. Linux is not better!

PS: TFS is for linux too. (you only must know how to use your linux system :)

If Windows is so good for hosting, why does it require a DE which use alot of your CPU/RAM, on Linux it is optional to run a Desktop Environment. I might be wrong about this, but while I was using Windows I didn't hae any option to run it in a 'single-user mode'. Windows commandline sucks aswell compared to the commandline in Linux.

I've used both Linux and Windows, and the only good thing I can see with Windows is the great compatibility with hardware (I guess this is because alot of hardware is only being tested with Windows, and alot of companies only provide drivers for Windows), other than that it sucks.

I only use linux now, and I say:
Linux is very good for server (I have a Dedicated Server) and is very good for Desktop too (Tibia works well in Linux).

You can compile OTServ on Linux, close all processes that you don't need and run OTServ using high priority, it works better than Windows XP.

nah Windows is very good for hosting too. Look at Plesk. In Windows Plesk can handly php4 and 5 at the same time. In Linux you must code code code to get it to work and it dont work 100%. Windows is easy way ... everyone have it and to run a server you can have windows too. Why should work windows bad'er than linux? In the statistics stays that microsoft come back with his good software and there were better and better!

If you host a server with linux and play it on the same machine than you got lag too. Linux is not better!

PS: TFS is for linux too. (you only must know how to use your linux system :)

What stupid arguments. Windows is horrible for hosting. You can run php4 and php5 sametime in linux. Windows is no more easy than ubuntu or debian!

If you play on the hosting computer you have to see the factors. Maybe it's cips noob client that makes it lag? Not the server..

I agree that Linux is way better than Windows, the only reason that I use windows is because software producers make games and programs for Windows, and there are no versions available for Linux.

Last edited:
yes it is nice that linux is fast and stable server and very cheap (for free :p) but 98% never worked with linux :).

Windows is only for playing *lol*? No you can work better with Windows as with Linux like Microsoft Word (you will never find a better software than the Mircrosoft Office Products). That is true!

If you got an Windows 2003+ Server than you can host an OT too that is no problem :) and it should be than secure enough!

PS: Use only Linux if you know the basics or you are lost :)

At last i want say and this is my last post in this Thread. Windows is the dominate system but in Web Server is unix the dominate system but Windows comes very near every Year (that is a fact!)!!!

Last edited:
@Slider There doesnt in fact come a new windows every year, 4 years between XP and vista, and the rest cant remmember :p

Windows is only for playing *lol*? No you can work better with Windows as with Linux like Microsoft Word (you will never find a better software than the Mircrosoft Office Products). That is true!

I find OpenOffice better than Microsoft Office.

At last i want say and this is my last post in this Thread. Windows is the dominate system but in Web Server is unix the dominate system but Windows comes very near every Year (that is a fact!)!!!

Everyone is always new to something, you can't just know the basics. Ubuntu is a good start for beginners.

Windows x Linux in servers... Let us see:
- Microsoft, who is better? Linux or Windows? Apache or ISS?

http://toolbar.netcraft.com/site_report?url=download.microsoft.com
Netblock Owner IP address OS Web Server Last changed
ADSL endpoints NAT conections only 84.45.224.6 Linux Microsoft-IIS/6.0 18-Dec-2007
Akamai Technologies 80.67.87.22 Linux Microsoft-IIS/6.0 17-Dec-2007
ADSL endpoints NAT conections only 84.45.224.6 Linux Microsoft-IIS/6.0 24-Nov-2007
Akamai Technologies 80.67.87.41 Linux Microsoft-IIS/6.0 23-Nov-2007
ADSL endpoints NAT conections only 84.45.224.6 Linux Microsoft-IIS/6.0 17-Nov-2007
Akamai Technologies 84.53.175.168 Linux Microsoft-IIS/6.0 16-Nov-2007
ADSL endpoints NAT conections only 84.45.224.6 Linux Microsoft-IIS/6.0 12-Oct-2007
Akamai Technologies 80.67.87.41 Linux Microsoft-IIS/6.0 11-Oct-2007
ADSL endpoints NAT conections only 84.45.224.6 Linux Microsoft-IIS/6.0 3-Oct-2007
Akamai Technologies PROVIDER Local Registry 84.53.177.51 Linux Microsoft-IIS/6.0 2-Oct-2007
- Ohhh my god Linux!!! Microsoft using linux in your server!
http://toolbar.netcraft.com/site_report?url=http://jogos.msn.com.br
Netblock Owner IP address OS Web Server Last changed
Comite Gestor da Internet no Brasil So Paulo 200.212.184.198 Linux Apache/1.3.33 Unix Resin/2.1.14 3-Dec-2007
Latin American and Caribbean IP address Regional Registry Potosi 1517 Montevideo 11500 UY 200.212.184.198 Linux Apache/1.3.33 Unix Resin/2.1.14 2-Dec-2007
Comite Gestor da Internet no Brasil So Paulo 200.212.184.198 Linux Apache/1.3.33 Unix Resin/2.1.14 20-Sep-2007
- WTF! Microsoft using Linux and Apache TOO!

Well, if the Microsoft wanna SELL your products. First, must USE your products.

---

In Desktops, here, in Brazil, our govern did a campaign to encourage the Free Software users and digital inclusion, selling computers with Linux with lower price, this campaign was a failure, 73% of a interview saw that was traded your operational system to Windows: piracy owns this campaign! =(
More information about this campaign:
http://www.bndes.gov.br/english/plugged.asp

Use Ubuntu Desktop i386 not amd64 else you cant use as many drivers and progs like Flash and Java they only run on 32bit distros

I've used amd64 two times (.. with Debian), and I could install Flash & Java for Iceweasel without problems. Used nspluginwrapper for Flash and blackdown for Java.

yes it is nice that linux is fast and stable server and very cheap (for free :p) but 98% never worked with linux :).

If you got an Windows 2003+ Server than you can host an OT too that is no problem :) and it should be than secure enough!

Of course, take a look:

700px-Windows_family.svg.png

Do I have to explain something?
Except that, ME and 2000 PRO were the worst OS in Microsoft's history....

Microsoft Office? OpenOffice plax!

Windows 2000 was one of the more stable releases of windows. Windows 2000 is great.
I still use it today cause of it's low use of resources. Windows ME was horrible.
Blue screen for clicking on the start menu button. But you can't say windows 2000 was bad. Cause it ain't.
Win 2000 was actually a great OS. Vista is todays ME.
Windows 2003 server is actually very stable. After I tested it. I got surprised.

@Slider
How can you say 98% don't work with Linux? What the fuck are you comparing against. You have programs that is designed to use on MS and you have programs that is designed to use on Linux. And on both. Linux is by far better than Windows on almost anything.

Last edited:
I agree that Linux is better, but I still use Windows because i've got many games that ain't compatibles with Linux, and my parents use some type of programs only avaible for Windows. But ofc im using linux too in other partition.
On my old computer, Pentium 4 - 256 mb RAM - 1.5 Ghz, I tested Windows and Debian. When i used windows, the computer used to be slow, but when i tried Debian, it worked very fine. Im talking about loading programs, etc..

Why is there even a debate?
Some Linux distributions are excellent for hosting servers. Debian-based distributions are extremely easy to use, in some ways even easier than Windows. One flaw of using a Linux distribution is that they don't (seem to) have virtual memory, meaning your RAM is all the memory you've got. This also makes memory operations much faster, so it may be a good thing if you've already got a few GB of RAM.

Of course, Linux users make up less than 10% of PC owners. This is why Windows binaries are so available, but Linux ones aren't.

I have had enough problems with Linux. I don't think I'll ever get linux. Maybe when I move out from my parents and if I have like 2 computers. I can't seem to understand those who are saying that some linux desktops are easier to use than windows. I don't know which OS is better than who, both have their own benefits. It all depends on what you need I guess.

On topic: I do agree with you. More Linux/Unix servers won't harm...

I have had enough problems with Linux. I don't think I'll ever get linux. Maybe when I move out from my parents and if I have like 2 computers. I can't seem to understand those who are saying that some linux desktops are easier to use than windows. I don't know which OS is better than who, both have their own benefits. It all depends on what you need I guess.

On topic: I do agree with you. More Linux/Unix servers won't harm...

It depends alot on the hardware, it sure can be a pain if drivers for your hardware is not available and you can't get it working.

Linux is faster, better security, open-source, free, more userfriendly commandline. Pretty much every Linux distribution has a package manager, very userfriendly, you don't have to google for packages and they're also modified in ways to fit your distribution. I could name alot more benefits about using Linux, mainly because the only benefits I see in Windows is the compatibility with things, but WINE is getting better and better all the time and soon Windows will be useless.

I would say that KDE is easier than Windows' DE, KDE is alot more userfriendly and alot more configurable like you want it (is it even possible to have multi panel on Windows, possible to change keyboard layout, possible to put opacity on the panel, ...?). In KDE, I can have multipanel, I can put the things I want to appear in the other panel just like I want, I can put some opacity to it so it looks cooler, I can change the keyboard layout to like dvorak from qwerty without that I have to buy a new keyboard...

Back