• There is NO official Otland's Discord server and NO official Otland's server list. The Otland's Staff does not manage any Discord server or server list. Moderators or administrator of any Discord server or server lists have NO connection to the Otland's Staff. Do not get scammed!

Moving forward

OTLand is an open-source community, and there is nothing wrong with the people who run servers and make money from that, running a server is not essentially free and takes a lot of effort. The problem is when people use free resources such as The Forgotten Server and don't give anything back to the community -- or even worse, try to sell the resources they create.

We need to start working together to move forward. I've been working on The Forgotten Server for free for over 6 years and I've never asked anyone to pay me for a copy. When I see people fork my project, add something to it and sell their additions it demotivates me from continuing to share my improvements to the engine for free.

I'm not going to be nice and expect people to understand what an open-source community is anymore, as of today, I'm closing down the Marketplace board and making it illegal to sell OpenTibia resources on OTLand. If you're in an open-source community to make money, you're at the wrong place. It is still OK to charge for hosting services, and advertising such services should be done in the Jobs forum. Advertising websites where you can buy or sell OpenTibia resources will not be tolerated.

The best way to move forward is by doing it together, and therefore it is important that we help all the newcomers with their questions in hope that they will learn and contribute to the community. The support team has done a good job with that, but there will always be room for improvement. If you cannot contribute with codes or scripts, at least contribute by helping out the newbies in the community!

To encourage developers and end-users of the OpenTibia software to contribute more, I've also closed down the private subversion in favor of an open GitHub repository. While this may result in less donations to OTLand because many were paying for a premium subscription with the intention to get private subversion access rather than supporting OTLand, I will do my best to keep OTLand ad free.

Watch and fork The Forgotten Server at GitHub! If you have made any changes that you feel should be in the official repository, create a pull request.

You might want to stop complaining about mods actually doing their job. If it is a rule and it gets enforced there is no reason to cry about it.
funny tho how you don't get reprimanded until you express your opinion. Where are all the mods at when we report dead threads that need moved? links that dont work but let one man post his opinion and make a double post and they jump all over it. Sorry but I shoot straight i dont cull anything for anyone. No use in speaking up if you don't speak ur mind.
Anyway I currently see that its of no use in stating your opinion here, it will be done as they choose anyway but at least I can stand proud knowing I spoke up.

Your opinion makes no sense, why get so mad if they put your posts together and don't delete them? It looks a lot better than 2 - 3 posts in a row about the same thing.

funny tho how you don't get reprimanded until you express your opinion. Where are all the mods at when we report dead threads that need moved? links that dont work but let one man post his opinion and make a double post and they jump all over it. Sorry but I shoot straight i dont cull anything for anyone. No use in speaking up if you don't speak ur mind.
Anyway I currently see that its of no use in stating your opinion here, it will be done as they choose anyway but at least I can stand proud knowing I spoke up.

Please take it to private messaging or visitor messaging, if you're this angry about the way I handled your posts then make a complaint here. By the way, I have never seen a report from you about a dead thread and links that don't work, usually with those threads they die off pretty quickly, we don't archive the map or datapack for users (some have been archived I believe though), we don't close the threads because in future someone might want the map or datapack and they request it, they can't request it if the thread has been deleted or closed can they?

So this is my first and last message to you in this thread, contact me in private messages if it's still regarding this matter in 24 hours, if not then don't contact me at all.

Regards,
Peroxide

omg
If you miss some feature then just port it, what's the problem?
0.2 was always developed slower, but 0.3 was just rushed, many features were bugged one or other way till some final fix, and that revision had another things messed up
the 'stable' private revisions just had non-critical errors, wasted cpu time, wasted memory etc, while some others could just crash because they wanted to
do you REALLY thing that with proper development cycle releasing new version would take YEARS while 0.2 was updated for almost every protocol? Do you really thing that release of 0.4 was postponed so many times just because they wanted to get money while 0.2 was perfectly stable and able to mimic cipbia and much more?
haters gonna hate

Ok well how about this idea, if Marks not going to place all that was on the PSVN in a new location and accessible, if we are going to move forward and forget about the past then...... we need to simply archive every single post here related to older versions and start on a fresh board section for the project. that way there is no clutter, no confusion, no mess etc.
Right now its hard enough to differentiate what is on the boards as it is sometimes.

Im not knocking marks ideas, just trying to find ways to make things better, keep everyone happy because we know there are tons more who prob share my thoughts on keeping the older material. I myself just dont see logic in nixing all of that when there is a possibility someone might take it and develop it further and actually make it great. I am totally sure there were lots of good resources there which are not available to the public. I myself was going to get a premium just for that. but that's my ideas in a nutshell....not knocking anything

@Peroxide
I got nothing against ya bro, i just speak up like it is and whats on my mind. sometimes Im blunt to the point it pisses ppl off but Im an ex firefighter, being blunt and to the point is part of my personality and for so long has been a necessary part of my life... sorry if I offended ya or Mark or anyone for that matter.

As for the movement, ok then lets move forward, Im going to stick with what im developing, that does not mean that later I may try moving up but for now I just see it as a big waste of time to scratch the old and try to start on a blank slate until the project has been on the table for a year or more. (working on new...sure...relying on new...not so sure)

What was so unstable about the 0.3 engine? I know a lot of popular servers that uses that and they're doing fine.

Nothing, that's the point. It just stopped from being developed. I'm using 0.3 with hotc and doing really fine, 0 problems.

It's possible for compile in vc10 or only vc12? vc12 not run in windows xp and application compiled (tfs 1.0) not run...

So the older distos are gone? And not coming back?
What about 0.3.7/0.4 will they be continued or scrapped?
WibbenZ

They are not being maintained by us, which limits the support we can provide for them. What actually happens with them is up to the community.

They are not being maintained by us, which limits the support we can provide for them. What actually happens with them is up to the community.
True but atleast the community could download them from otland. So atm only 0.2 is maintained by the dev team?

Back