• There is NO official Otland's Discord server and NO official Otland's server list. The Otland's Staff does not manage any Discord server or server list. Moderators or administrator of any Discord server or server lists have NO connection to the Otland's Staff. Do not get scammed!

Moving forward

OTLand is an open-source community, and there is nothing wrong with the people who run servers and make money from that, running a server is not essentially free and takes a lot of effort. The problem is when people use free resources such as The Forgotten Server and don't give anything back to the community -- or even worse, try to sell the resources they create.

We need to start working together to move forward. I've been working on The Forgotten Server for free for over 6 years and I've never asked anyone to pay me for a copy. When I see people fork my project, add something to it and sell their additions it demotivates me from continuing to share my improvements to the engine for free.

I'm not going to be nice and expect people to understand what an open-source community is anymore, as of today, I'm closing down the Marketplace board and making it illegal to sell OpenTibia resources on OTLand. If you're in an open-source community to make money, you're at the wrong place. It is still OK to charge for hosting services, and advertising such services should be done in the Jobs forum. Advertising websites where you can buy or sell OpenTibia resources will not be tolerated.

The best way to move forward is by doing it together, and therefore it is important that we help all the newcomers with their questions in hope that they will learn and contribute to the community. The support team has done a good job with that, but there will always be room for improvement. If you cannot contribute with codes or scripts, at least contribute by helping out the newbies in the community!

To encourage developers and end-users of the OpenTibia software to contribute more, I've also closed down the private subversion in favor of an open GitHub repository. While this may result in less donations to OTLand because many were paying for a premium subscription with the intention to get private subversion access rather than supporting OTLand, I will do my best to keep OTLand ad free.

Watch and fork The Forgotten Server at GitHub! If you have made any changes that you feel should be in the official repository, create a pull request.

Actually why now just move most of what was there into the downloads and let people go get what they need at will??

I won't upload something I won't maintain on GitHub, and I would rather see people use the new version.

Yes it is a good idea, and you are putting TFS 1.0 just based on TFS 0.2 with that many who use TFS 0.3 will have to rewrite many scripts.
But thank you very much for what you are doing!
Thanks ^^

i understand mark you wish for everyone to use the latest but look at it like this, i wish for everyone to support feed the children but that dont mean everyone e3lse wants to do that.
we need to consider that there are many who may choose to stay with an old version. now that does not mean we have to support it but as a community we should offer the choice.

We support feeding children but we don't feed them.

We never supported private SVN TFS revisions and now we also don't provide them.

We never supported private SVN TFS revisions and now we also don't provide them.

OtLands main source of money was generated from people who purchased OtLand Premium in order to gain access to the private SVN TFS(an incomplete work that will remain unfinished). I'm sure that the OtLand staff was fully aware of the fact that they gained the most Premium Members because they would allow access to the private SVN TFS, I'm wondering how you can claim that you didn't support a work that you would let users have access to if they bought Premium Membership?

Maybe your intention never was for people to buy Premium Membership in order to gain access to the private SVN TFS, but as more and more people started to buy Premium Membership to get access to the benefits and not to actually support OtLand I'm sure that it was more and more being considered as selling a product and not receiving donations. I'm glad that the private SVN TFS and Marketplace now has been removed, but honestly I think it's way too late.

Yes it is a good idea, and you are putting TFS 1.0 just based on TFS 0.2 with that many who use TFS 0.3 will have to rewrite many scripts.
But thank you very much for what you are doing!
Thanks ^^

You can simply take 1.0, modify it to whatever the hell you wish. Let it be custom systems, custom function names, 7.6, 8.6, 9.1 versions, whatever you like.
All of this can be done on your end. All you need to do is take the latest 1.0 revision and start working on it.

many here support staff and moderators, are expressing themselves without even knowing what they're saying!
say they support, and also used.
say they are satisfied, should more inside this crazy rage.

You can simply take 1.0, modify it to whatever the hell you wish. Let it be custom systems, custom function names, 7.6, 8.6, 9.1 versions, whatever you like.
All of this can be done on your end. All you need to do is take the latest 1.0 revision and start working on it.

I'm not saying that the functions of TFS 0.3 was good, because I know that the best basis is the TFS 0.2. Being that as Mark said, should help new users, and new users use TFS o.4 and TFS o.3. As a new User, who started these days with OTserv will do what you are saying? --"

Last edited:
OtLands main source of money was generated from people who purchased OtLand Premium in order to gain access to the private SVN TFS(an incomplete work that will remain unfinished). I'm sure that the OtLand staff was fully aware of the fact that they gained the most Premium Members because they would allow access to the private SVN TFS, I'm wondering how you can claim that you didn't support a work that you would let users
have access to if they bought Premium Membership?
It was never intended to sell it as a product. In fact, you would have to be stupid to buy a never-support and never-working product. The fact that you can ask questions about it doesn't mean it's supported. It was never supported because it was never stable. You could get some help on Premium Support Board, but it was explicitly forbidden to ask for support on non-premium Support Board. Now it's removed and not obtainable anymore unless you have it. It is still allowed to ask questions about it on Premium Support board, but it's best for everyone that 0.3/0.4 fade away.

All new users SHOULD start with TFS 1.0.

What about people who want to use the 0.3 features?
Like the creaturescripts types, functions, outfit options etc.

I used 0.3/0.4 for 3 years, never had real problems with it.
Almost everything I could think of I was able to make because of the creaturescripts types and functions.

@ down
Those creaturescripts types aren't in 1.0 right?
Code:
statschange
direction
outfit
sendmail
receivemail
traderequest
tradeaccept
joinchannel
leavechannel
look
reportbug
push
target
follow
attack
combat
areacombat
cast

Last edited:
What about people who want to use the 0.3 features?
Like the creaturescripts types, functions, outfit options etc.

I used 0.3/0.4 for 3 years, never had real problems with it.
Almost everything I could think of was able to make because of the creaturescripts types and functions.

Isn't 0.3 creaturescripts the same as 1.0? I haven't noticed anything different to be honest.
https://github.com/otland/forgottenserver/blob/master/src/creatureevent.cpp

New functions are constantly being added, all as well as being supported in the new Lua interface (metatables).
I'm pretty sure nearly all 0.3 functions are covered and if there are missing ones, they could probably be made in Lua. The only differences are the item attributes.

Honestly, I was an 0.3 guy, preferring it way over 0.2. Once 1.0 kicked into gear, I looked at 0.3 as the new 0.4 (iow; yuck)

If there is anything, ranging from bugs to suggestions, use the issues section on Github. Mark and Dalkon are willing to look into it.

It's temporary. It will be changed soon.
Work on a new layout will most likely begin in a few hours since Mark, Korn and I are all going to sleep now.

Post your suggestions on what you want changed, added, etc.

Actually I like it <call me the odd one out> Oh... is there an option we can select our own theme?
I quoted the wrong damn post again lol, i gotta pay more attention <edited>

Understandable but Im just saying keep an open mind approach. There is and will always be people who will wish to continue work on older version even if unsupported. It is only common courtesy to allow those people that choice.
Simply place all the older stuff into a location that is accessible and make the statement that it is not supported and allow the community itself to maintain support on it.

Im all for moving forward but some like myself have put in hours of long nights, hard work to build on older versions and to close the door totally shuts those people out. Ill volunteer, tel me where I can go to download all that is needed, that was hosted on the PSVN and create a dedicated section for it and I myself will take the time to upload it to its proper location but dont close the door on it and loose good resources that were already in place.

Also, this time around, create some dead link sections so that mods can move threads accordingly :S i hate dead end links

Understandable but Im just saying keep an open mind approach. There is and will always be people who will wish to continue work on older version even if unsupported. It is only common courtesy to allow those people that choice.
Simply place all the older stuff into a location that is accessible and make the statement that it is not supported and allow the community itself to maintain support on it.

Im all for moving forward but some like myself have put in hours of long nights, hard work to build on older versions and to close the door totally shuts those people out. Ill volunteer, tel me where I can go to download all that is needed, that was hosted on the PSVN and create a dedicated section for it and I myself will take the time to upload it to its proper location but dont close the door on it and loose good resources that were already in place.

Also, this time around, create some dead link sections so that mods can move threads accordingly :S i hate dead end links

Support may be added for 0.3 datapacks on 1.0, but 0.3 is unstable and keeping it available would be detrimental to the community.

Support may be added for 0.3 datapacks on 1.0, but 0.3 is unstable and keeping it available would be detrimental to the community.

I'm just offering my advice from an old timers point of view, i don't care to admit im in my 40's and one thing I learned in community service is that if you take away individuals ability to decide for themselves, it often leads to unsatisfied users.
Dont get me wrong, Im looking at moving to a newer version myself but just consider, its sometimes best to leave options for those who may choose to use them

I'm just offering my advice from an old timers point of view, i don't care to admit im in my 40's and one thing I learned in community service is that if you take away individuals ability to decide for themselves, it often leads to unsatisfied users.
Dont get me wrong, Im looking at moving to a newer version myself but just consider, its sometimes best to leave options for those who may choose to use them

We are like players, many teams do not pay attention to them. The more we talk about it, it gets worse!

TFS 0.3 isn't unstable. --"

Last edited:
We are like players, many teams do not pay attention to them. The more we talk about it, it gets worse!

Im not sure but I think I understand that you agree, this should be left as an option for those who choose to continue use of older versions?
I dont think it will detrimental to the movement/improvement of the software but will leave users with the option. I myself once comfortable that I can properly do the scripting etc will help with any and all versions. That is the entire idea of open source. I think the staff is on the right track, just need to consider leaving options open because taking those options away then forces people to either start new or abandon the project which can be a bad thing.

@Mark
I do have a question however. I understand that in the PSVN there were lots of advanced resources, scripts etc?
Those can be beneficial to those of us who have older versions of TFS. I myself was planning to get the 8.7 that was on there, cant recall which it was however. maybe it was 0.2.10 not sure. The one in the public DL is quite bare bones.

Anyway just asking for you to keep an open mind to the options for those who choose to use them. Im off here and getting ready for a 12 hr shift ...nite all

@Mark
I do have a question however. I understand that in the PSVN there were lots of advanced resources, scripts etc?
These resources were and still are on Premium Board. In the private SVN there was only TFS engine.

Back