New server list - OTServers.eu

Discussion in 'Discussion' started by Elime, Jun 26, 2018.

1. 4Muki4

4Muki4 HOROHOROHORO

Best Answers:
    Hey,

Neat idea what you're trying with voting but I don't think it will work personally it died in wow private server scene too. I hope I'm correct that your site is in early stages, if you want at least try to be successful serverlist you need something recognizable a logo or something to give the design a kick because everything is white and bland. Also the rows are huge what happens when you have 100-150 servers registered try to make it 50% smaller.

Edit
    you could also try to add region flag near the thumb but whole OT community is bunch of crybabies and hate each others "omg its a damn br"

2. Ahilphino

Ahilphino Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    what we really need is a trusted serverlist that really checks and makes sure a server has real players. u see in alot of these oldschool servers they have really strong systems for spoofing, darkot and kasteria is two examples, there was in 1 thread where wille attacked some other server by logging in with 500 players instantly so just imagine what he can do on his own servers. u also can see zusckins doing this on real tibia on youtube but for other reasons (botting tons of characters)

if there was trusted otservlist then i believe more players would go and use that one since we are all sick of getting tricked to playing by these fake numbers

3. Elime

Elime Active Member

Best Answers:
    I think the focus should be on the server list and not some fancy website logo. But yes, might not hurt to add some detail to it. When there is many servers the list just grows as you scroll down. Filtering will help to reduce the number and finding the server you are looking for. Not sure if the row size is too big. A previous poster thought it was too small. I will keep it as is for now but might change it in the future.

Doesn't the voting system solve this problem? I mean the online count can still be misleading. But at least players won't vote for a server that disappoints them.

4. Webtimize

Webtimize All-in-one Premium User

Best Answers:
    The voting system doesn't solve anything (imo) if you're getting rewarded for voting. Servers with big playerbases will still dominate the top of the serverlist.

You should create systems that can detect spoofs, there are numerous ways of doing so like crawling their online lists, comparing daily statistics and random changes in amount of players online.

5. Elime

Elime Active Member

Best Answers:
    How would you implement such a system without it finding false positives? Also it would be easy to circumvent since the server can return whatever information it wants.

6. Webtimize

Webtimize All-in-one Premium User

Best Answers:
    That's why you have staff checking it out and confirming the data. You should never automatically ban.

Yes, but that will be noticeable. By simply looking at graphs with peak times and overall online players. If a server gives 500 players online via the query but the crawler only detects 100 characters on the onlinelist, there is probably something wrong. Creating crawlers for the most common AAC's isn't really that hard.

7. Elime

Elime Active Member

Best Answers:
    Then I could just add a "Report for spoofing" button.

Those who actually want to spoof will soon find out and start spoofing the website as well.

But keeping statistics can definitely help and give further proof that a server actually was spoofing.

8. Raggaer

Raggaer Godly Member

Best Answers:
    I think the best approach is to not use any data from the server, so not showing the amount of players online, just allow people to add a server and allow players to vote for it

Nice idea