• There is NO official Otland's Discord server and NO official Otland's server list. The Otland's Staff does not manage any Discord server or server list. Moderators or administrator of any Discord server or server lists have NO connection to the Otland's Staff. Do not get scammed!

Ochmar, 0 - 365

29.png

30.png

Last edited:
Perspective on 29. is a bit off i think.
Love the second helmet. Isnt it a bit small tho?

I started to think to try some tiles/woods/trees etc instead of items.
Is it too soon or should I give it a try?
More of a furnitures maybe? Or some basic town objects. Sounds easier than nature.

Yea, furniture should be easier and I agree with @2Rec that 30th item could be little bigger.

I could make it a bit bigger indeed. Had like 3-4 pixels height more.
31.png

Well, thanks! But actually, there should be more of those... Had some important real-life stuff
I'm trying to catch up.
32.png

33.png

34.png

35.png

36.png

In 36., how I should make cape to look like "behind" armor part? I'm too bad to manage to do it :/

Last edited:
They need more hmm shadows? Less pillow shading, more variety in texture of items.

Personally, I love the look of those 32-36. Simple and effective. I think there is way too much emphasis nowadays on "realism". To each his own, but I'd be perfectly happy playing a game with graphics that look like those!

Great job, keep it up!

I love your enthusiasm, a piece of advice, use more contrast :D and you will see how the sprites will start looking better ;)

I love your enthusiasm, a piece of advice, use more contrast :D and you will see how the sprites will start looking better ;)
Thanks.
I will try more contrast next time for sure!

There goes 39., i know it has many many many flaws, to the point you might wonder what it is (it's not clear, I tried to do cape haha).
But the point is; that while doing "worst" sprites, I learn a lot more than doing "fine" sprites. So I'll keep posting them, even if those are terrible, just to ensure that I did not abandon this project.

39.png

32, 35, 40, 45 have a lot of potential in my opinion.

Maybe it would be cool to slow down the rythm and put more effort in the painting of those good designs.

32, 35, 40, 45 have a lot of potential in my opinion.

Maybe it would be cool to slow down the rythm and put more effort in the painting of those good designs.
Thanks!
The thing is, that even tho I made ~45 sprites, I still don't know what exactly I'm doing wrong with a majority.
Obviously, I can tell when I see the final result... but it's usually too late.
Sometimes the shape of the item is off, but when I try to correct it, it gets worse, so I ctrl + z to initial state.
Sometimes shading is too smooth, but then again - I make it too noisy.
I cannot find the compromise, don't know when to stop or what I should focus on.
I don't even know what makes "good" sprite "good" from a technical point.
Finding tutorials in this matter is also a bit tricky, some pixel-art tutorials have way different style; most tutorials are "do some crazy sword" and do not teach how to sprite, but rather how to create this exact item.
Also, my shading is kind of "random" - I just "think" that it should be this way. I would rather like to "know" it.

Thanks!
The thing is, that even tho I made ~45 sprites, I still don't know what exactly I'm doing wrong with a majority.
Obviously, I can tell when I see the final result... but it's usually too late.
Sometimes the shape of the item is off, but when I try to correct it, it gets worse, so I ctrl + z to initial state.
Sometimes shading is too smooth, but then again - I make it too noisy.
I cannot find the compromise, don't know when to stop or what I should focus on.
I don't even know what makes "good" sprite "good" from a technical point.
Finding tutorials in this matter is also a bit tricky, some pixel-art tutorials have way different style; most tutorials are "do some crazy sword" and do not teach how to sprite, but rather how to create this exact item.
Also, my shading is kind of "random" - I just "think" that it should be this way. I would rather like to "know" it.

First problems are values. You need colors with a good contrast.
hX99sIz.png

Values are the LUM property of a color.
The shield colors have no contrast, check it better by looking at the values on grayscale.

Try to paint the shield with the new values, don't be afraid to add more colors if you feel it needs, just be careful to not break contrast or it will get blurry.

Second problem is Anti-Aliasing, with the small tutorial I've posted in other page you may get the very basic of it (darker dots on the borders), and you must search for more in future.

Without good values and AA you can do great designs as you've been doing but you won't be able to do a good shading.

Back