• There is NO official Otland's Discord server and NO official Otland's server list. The Otland's Staff does not manage any Discord server or server list. Moderators or administrator of any Discord server or server lists have NO connection to the Otland's Staff. Do not get scammed!

Open Tibia Technologies and Tools

Night Wolf

I don't bite.
Solutions
Reaction score
Hello all,

I've started this discussion to know which different technologies and tools people are using in their servers around the world. I'll keep this thread updated with whatever you guys comment so we all will learn about new things to use in our projects throughout life.

Since open tibia is a hobby for me that taught me about many tools I'm currently using at work I thought that would be nice if we had a topic to centralize this.

So, I'll start by saying which tools we use in Empire Server:

pm2: Since our website is written in node.js, the pm2 allow us to create and control easy instances of both site and tfs itself, every time we have an edition at website the pm2 recompiles it instantly, it also allow us to reopen tfs instantly after every shutdown or crash.
atom: Atom is a mix of IDE concepts with a very flexible text editor, also has github attached which is really a plus for any other text editor.
nuclide: Nuclide is a package of Atom that allow us to control remote projects while being able to support many editors at once (like docs.google.com)
slack: We use slack only to redirect the console of the server, which means we don't have to manually enter the VM to read the console, we just go to our slack (in the web) and go to #console channel.
Our slack also has some cool commands: /compile which recompiles the entire source and replace the old file and /restart which kills the process of tfs (the pm2 reopens it instantly).
github: GitHub is our versioner, with him we can keep track of the changes and easily revert them if we found out they are harmful in the future.
trello: Trello is a site that allow you to have a better control of what's happening in your project. You can create many cards to track every feature, bug, and work you have.
diffchecker: I've used this website for many years, it just compare two files and highlight differences. It's nice to compare files without having to make a commit to check changes.
notepad++: before using atom we used notepad++, there's a plugin for it called 'Compare' that does the same as diffchecker.
gdb: the official debugger of GNU. If you intend to have a serious server you'll have to use gdb EVERY TIME. If your server crashes it will generate a report of what caused the crash.
ovh: OVH is a VPS company. We have also used Amazon for a while but OVH provided us a better ping and a cheaper service.

I'm waiting to hear which tools you guys use in your projects.

Not already mentioned:

Dev side:
GNU Nano: CLI Text Editor for Linux
Hexedit: CLI Hex Editor for Linux
xxd: CLI Binary file dumper in Hex/ASCII format for Linux
Geany: IDE and Text Editor (similar to Notepad++) for Win, Mac and Linux
ImageMagick: CLI (also bound to various languages including PHP) image and animations (e.g. GIF) manipulation/creation tool available on most platforms
SCP: CLI Secure FTP client tool for Linux

Server side:
Vanilla tools: Apache, PHP, MySQL/MariaDB, Iptables, Cron, etc.
Custom scripts written in Python

Back