• There is NO official Otland's Discord server and NO official Otland's server list. The Otland's Staff does not manage any Discord server or server list. Moderators or administrator of any Discord server or server lists have NO connection to the Otland's Staff. Do not get scammed!

Complaint OtLand's greed for money

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well, it is an open source project. It's just that some like to take advantage of their scripting knowledge and use it as their own benefit and make some cash off of what they able to create.

You are free to fork the project, and even make your own SVN with an exact copy of otlands. The GPL lisence doesn't put any limit to that.

Open Source projects CAN be financed from sale tho. Just look at Red Hat, SuSE etc. It's GPL, but they sell it. You are however free to take the code, modify it and give it out for free.

Also, the war system has nothing to do with TFS.. Its elfs own system, that he created to sell it so he can earn money... so your free to buy it or not.

The otland forum donations goes to the forum and not the developers, so they cant afford pussies even though we got many donators. So the thugging Elf need to earn money somehow. :p This was his solution. Making money out of open source. It's not OTlands fault, though in my eyes, we should delete those threads, I heard we aren't allowed to sell stuff on otland.

Write your own scripts and release them if it's a problem for you, oks? But your OWN scripts, not a copy of someone's else work.

As said before... The War system is not a part of the project. It's 100% elf and he can sell it if he want :p

I you now don't want to pay, then make your own..

Imho, need to stop being open sourced ^^

It is still open source. Nothing prevents you from buying something that is open source either. Also, we can't just change lisence because everyone who have ever made a commit into TFS need to agree on it. And even then we'll need to remake all the otserv parts in it (unless all the otserv devs agree to).

It is still open source. Nothing prevents you from buying something that is open source either. Also, we can't just change lisence because everyone who have ever made a commit into TFS need to agree on it. And even then we'll need to remake all the otserv parts in it (unless all the otserv devs agree to).

I know that it's open sourced xD I just wanted to say that there are already too much open sourced things in open tibia, which allow ppls without ANY knowledge earn money from OT, that's not fair. And I'm not against selling any parts of code\scripts, as Elf did. If you're clever enough - do it yourself, not - buy from someone who wasted his time for doing this. Thats how it should be.

edit: Agreed with Nahruto, thats the point...

Last edited:
Would you like to work for free? + people take your work, put in their server, and get donations for free (?)

I think it's stupid how many people just release scripts, it allows people with absolutely no knowledge to download them & run an otserver and gain money from it. That is why I don't see why people would have a problem with people selling scripts for money. What would you rather; people downloading FREE scripts & then using those for a VIP / Donation item & gaining profit? Or people selling their codes that they've spent time on, the buyer will use it towards their advantage to make money anyways..

Yes, but OT would never been so big if we'd just sold our code. I'd bet on maybe 2-3k players in total.

Yes, but OT would never been so big if we'd just sold our code. I'd bet on maybe 2-3k players in total.

Agreed let the dev's do the thinkin we do the playing..it's the same thing I say in my game when someone says something stupid as shit.

What the hell does that have to do with otland or TFS? Hes selling a script he made, how is that greed?

hi,

Elf PwNz

bye

I am happy to donate to otland and help the community & forum. Otland is not greedy at all, maybe you should change the thread name. The TFS devoloping team works hard to provide a product/service that you can freely use to obtain funds, basically profiting from their work. I hope they keep it up and I want to say thank you for everything so far, even if I don't have a server, I have learned a lot about LUA over the years and still learning & helping this community!

Regards,
JDB.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back