• There is NO official Otland's Discord server and NO official Otland's server list. The Otland's Staff does not manage any Discord server or server list. Moderators or administrator of any Discord server or server lists have NO connection to the Otland's Staff. Do not get scammed!

Team PyOT

And why are you using Python 2.7 instead 3.5+? The other PyOT used 3.4, right? (I don't know much about python, I'm just asking for knowledge)

As I said, I can't help since I don't know Python, but I'll follow the project as I did with the old one :) GL
It uses Python3.4, Tornado 4 and pymysql. Was using the old document, edited now.

yeah I figured that when I read it's less coding in Python, I still don't know jack shit about Python but I like the sound of it that it's less complicated than C++.
I like C# more than C++ because that thing, for one you have 50% less files to work with, and after that it's a lot easier to work fast under C# :D

I found those, Python can be faster than C is some places
PyPy Status Blog: PyPy is faster than C, again: string formatting
PyPy Status Blog: PyPy faster than C on a carefully crafted example

PS: Anyone can join us to discuss more about this or check out different projects on our discord server:
Discord

Moved to Github:
GitHub - PyOT

Last edited:
We are trying to elaborate a proper roadmap and soon start working on this. Looking for any kind of support =)

You can follow the progress or join the discussion on our discord server: Discord

Just to further add information into the C++ versus Python discussion, Python is interpreted and C++ is compiled. This alone makes C++ superior in most cases. The only advantage interpreted languages have over compiled is optimizing the program during runtime. Example in spoiler for anyone interested.
When you have an if somewhere, the processor usually does what is called predictive execution, aka guess the result and start running. If the prediction fails, the processor has to backtrack and do the right thing. In case of an interpreted language, the interpreter (Java Virtual Machine or Python Interpreter, for example) could see that an if 99% of the time fails, so it guesses "fail" every time. Half an hour later, something on the program changes and it starts passing 99% of the time. The interpreter could now guess "pass" every time now. This is hard to implement on compiled languages.

More on compiled vs. interpreted performance:
Anyways, compiled is usually much better than interpreted (another reason why Android phones are usually slower, the Operating System itself is interpreted!).
In situations where performance is not needed interpreted languages are usually the better choice because they require less work to code. Lua is another example of interpreted language. Not only interpreted but also not strongly typed like C++.
This is good and bad. Requiring the programmer to specify the variable type (int, bool, string...) makes the code less likely to have sketchy bugs and errors, but it also reduces flexibility. When scripting I find myself abusing a lot of the weak typing, sometimes I just add strings, tables, nil or whatever I need in the same variable and return it.
Lua is a good example of interpreted language to be posted here in otland because most people know how it works: the source code has a Lua interpreter implemented in C++. The server has to load the script and kind of interpret what it says, using it's own C++ code, which is why it is called interpreted language. This adds a layer of complexity that usually translates into poor runtime - and yes, easier programming most times, plus no need to compile anything!
Now, I know you can compile Python - sort of. But that's a bit beyond the point, since C++ is faster in most applications and you're losing the no-need-to-compile thing that Python has, which most people love.

tl;dr: Python where you can, C++ where you need (I think someone who works at google said that once. not sure).

Still looking!

Update:
Now you can start the server and database with docker

Edit:
Testing on OTClient, Server Up:

Loading complete in 4.326079s, everything is ready to roll

w1DKxuN.png

Last edited:
Hi @Amiroslo
I'd like to ask if this project is abandoned? Couldn't see any update since 2+ years on github.
Also, vapus.net is no more here, so I cannot access documentation etc.

Should I use OTHiro or TFS instead?
NOTE: I'm python developer for a while, so it would be easier for me to write in Python than in C, but still maybe it's just easier to pick up C and skip few errors/bugs?

Hi @Amiroslo
I'd like to ask if this project is abandoned? Couldn't see any update since 2+ years on github.

NOTE: I'm python developer for a while, so it would be easier for me to write in Python than in C, but still maybe it's just easier to pick up C and skip few errors/bugs?
This project appears to be abandoned. @Amiroslo can't respond because he is banned.
The TFS engine is much more feature-complete than this project, so you would get more things out of the box.

Hi @Amiroslo

Yes sadly it has been abandoned again. Some people tried to work on it but there was not much interest and it was hard to continue what was started. Thanks for your interest tho. Also it is far from complete and can not be used on a public productive server.

Back