• There is NO official Otland's Discord server and NO official Otland's server list. The Otland's Staff does not manage any Discord server or server list. Moderators or administrator of any Discord server or server lists have NO connection to the Otland's Staff. Do not get scammed!

Repo Questions

Reaction score
Hey, just a few questions for anyone who has the knowledge to answer.

I see release 1.2 is 5 years old now. Should I build my server off of master branch? Is it stable? What client version is supported out of the box?

I'm not familiar with C++, what C++ version would be most helpful to know when working in the code? I see support for C++ 17 was added recently.

Thanks!

The real question is, how long do you think it will take to have your server ready for launch? If it is going to be some time, I would wait for 1.4, and just use the 1.3 for development right now. 1.3 isn't "unstable" , its just that if you update your source regularly to be same as the master branch, then you could update it with a bug that one hasn't found yet.

1.4 is very very close to being released, and it will be considered "stable" release. Most any issue with the master branch can be found otland/forgottenserver (https://github.com/otland/forgottenserver/issues)

It really comes down to what it is you want. Do you want to keep your server on the bleeding edge of development? Or are you content with something that has proven stability and won't ever change?

Just like any other software out there, when you have an option to choose, do you choose the "development" software, or do you go with the "stable" version every time?

If you can understand and edit the source yourself, there is no reason to not use the master branch.

I personally use the main branch for development, always and forever, but there is a risk in doing so, a good practice would be to backup your .exe before replacing it with a newer one, just incase for some reason a new major bug happens to make its way in, then you can easily revert.

I strongly recommend master branch, tfs 1.2 is very behind. Master branch should be as stable as tfs 1.2

Back