• There is NO official Otland's Discord server and NO official Otland's server list. The Otland's Staff does not manage any Discord server or server list. Moderators or administrator of any Discord server or server lists have NO connection to the Otland's Staff. Do not get scammed!

SQL is a B**** Bring back XML

Royalty

GrinchyGame
Reaction score
Seriously me and a bunch of friends read the guide's try everything it says, but still get nothing right.

XML was so much simpler and it was rarely ever hackable, seeing as how it uses a low internet connection..

Seriously bring XML back this sucks..

Seriously me and a bunch of friends read the guide's try everything it says, but still get nothing right.

XML was so much simpler and it was rarely ever hackable, seeing as how it uses a low internet connection..

False statement. Plus it was really unstable and unreliable. If you can't setup an SQL server then you probably shouldn't be hosting OTs.

Use Sqlite then, it's very easy to setup.

XML is much much slower my friend. Here is why. SQL primarily uses memory, while XML only uses your harddisk. Memory speed is much much much faster than harddisk.

Therefore SQL is almost always used. But if you only have 50 players then you probably won't notice a difference in speed between SQL and XML.

If you can't understand SQL you shouldn't be hosting a server at all, xml is like using a pen & paper to do solve something instead of using a calculator, sure, you get it done but it takes a lot more time and work.

Last edited:
Kinda agree... it was simplier, but SQL is more secure.

More Secure? Bull shit lol. All it is very more efficient but forsure XML is more secure since no one can just go on your computer and delete your folders etc. (unless u get a virus)

I lol'ed at this thread.

Like others said if you can't set up a mySQL database and don't know how to use SQLite (which is already configured when you run the server o_O?) then you really should not be running a server at all.

Point 2, XML is slower and harder to edit then a simple table in a database...it is not meant to be used for storage.

Point 3, a sql database is as secure as you make it. Delete any users in the database and make access only available through localhost (with a password) A.A.C's that are poorly coded and that have security leaks are the reason for hackers, in which case XML with A.A.C's count as well.

Point 4, if you actually read a tutorial it will tell you exactly how to set up a server...unless you are illiterate.

Maybe you should stick to playing them if you can't figure it out. Why should the devs make a whole distro just for you? Kinda selfish.

More Secure? Bull shit lol. All it is very more efficient but forsure XML is more secure since no one can just go on your computer and delete your folders etc. (unless u get a virus)

lol... People can parse your XML without a password... SQL you can't parse without the root password.

Royalty said:

False

Agreed. Fuck SQL >.<

False

Lostboy said:
To be totally honest, I think SQL is much easier to set up than XML.

True

When i first tried setting up a SQL server, i didn't understand anything. Though, after trying a couple times and asking qestions in the forum that i got stuck on, i managed to set up one. And i discovered that it was really easy. Now i can do it in less than a minute ^^

I used to feel the same way. I used to make OTs back in 7.4, and when everything switched to SQL it took me a while to figure it out, and why things weren't going right. Once you do figure it out, it's actually very easy and useful. Believe me, it took me a good deal of time (without the great tutorials of OTland) to figure it out, but once you do, you'll surely appreciate it.

Back