• There is NO official Otland's Discord server and NO official Otland's server list. The Otland's Staff does not manage any Discord server or server list. Moderators or administrator of any Discord server or server lists have NO connection to the Otland's Staff. Do not get scammed!

Suggestion for safer Forum

Status
Not open for further replies.

Laloomega

Mega-War ❤
Solutions
Reaction score
Hey Otland Team, it would be great if you could connect your personal phone number towards otland, or even a State ID or Country ID, safer transactions, trustworthy people. make it show that you are verified via phone and/or State ID

I think his point was that it wouldn't be hard to implement something on the forums to increase security. Somehow make it so you can't register or something without verification of your identity. Anything really. In the end people will get past it because the only solution that would work would require a lot of time for mods to approve applications for registry. Something is better than nothing I guess is the idea. photo id verification would help a bit but even that wouldn't be perfect.

There's no easy way for mods to spot scammers without investing so much time behind that user, I think it would be better if the community take this matter into own hands and expose scammers, maybe create a list of scammers outside Otland with proof for each scammer added on the list.

It's in fact, not our job. We explicitly declare that we do not interfere with personal businesses. I hope you understand the amount of time that we'd need to investigate every single matter, is vastly beyond our current timeframe of volunteer work.
P.S
Pinging @mods does not work.

On-topic, this suggestion won't stop any scammers regardless. Use common sense when doing business online. That should be enough.
Why do we even have mods in that case? And ofc I know pinging mod does not work...
Post automatically merged:

There's no easy way for mods to spot scammers without investing so much time behind that user, I think it would be better if the community take this matter into own hands and expose scammers, maybe create a list of scammers outside Otland with proof for each scammer added on the list.
Maybe something like steamRep.com? But OtlandRep.com (kinda)

Disabling the ability for users to hide their profile and removing name changes (why is this even allowed in a forum that suffers from scammers/multi-accounts?) would help a lot to keep track of good/bad users.

People should stop thinking that OTLand is the HQ of Open Tibia community. That admins and mods here are behind anything that happens in this community, like a freaking illuminati.
They are not your babysitters to come running to your crying every time you get scammed because of your own fault.
If you have any doubts about a person you about to work with or buy something from them or whatever, then just ask others, create a thread and wait for some people to vouch for that person or at least check them, their OTLand profile, posts history etc.

Disabling the ability for users to hide their profile
hard agreed on this

If the forum is intended to be so "open" as a community, there's no reason for this soft anonymization. The user's post history which despite being harder to access, is searchable anyway:
1624878808900.png
1624878968308.png

even deleted users content can be found to some degree:

if there's anything to hide, I suggest letting the user disable some tabs in user profile rather than blocking the whole profile entirely

As Kaspar said, common sense. Look up the service provider and see if he has a good reputation history. If he's fully unknown and no one of your peers can vouche for him, maybe take a step back.

When selling, pay attention to details. If the buyer is suddenly changing his mind about method of pay that should be a signal to pay attention to. I know that one from personal experience.

People should stop thinking that OTLand is the HQ of Open Tibia community. That admins and mods here are behind anything that happens in this community, like a freaking illuminati.
They are not your babysitters to come running to your crying every time you get scammed because of your own fault.
If you have any doubts about a person you about to work with or buy something from them or whatever, then just ask others, create a thread and wait for some people to vouch for that person or at least check them, their OTLand profile, posts history etc.
Mentioning Illuminati? In 2021? Bro for real? Update your references

Yeah much like referencing OTLand mods to Illuminati, a great fucking DaVincian masterpiece of a contribution

Why do we even have mods in that case? And ofc I know pinging mod does not work...
Post automatically merged:

Maybe something like steamRep.com? But OtlandRep.com (kinda)
Moderators on the forum enforce the forum rules. I’m not sure why you are so adamant about making moderators handle these issues. Meanwhile you are actually protecting one of the biggest scammers the community has seen, with deceiving reviews. Maybe work on yourself first than trying to change the moderating of OTLand.

Well, as long as we're being open...

Sup with always locking threads? 🤔
Click the link in the post you are referring to and you will see my explanation to as why I locked the threads.

Not being an idiot is the most effective protection.

//Also, with such a big help as this forum holds i'll just recommend people to learn shit so you don't have to buy anything from anyone.

We can make a community handled rep thread, if they let us put it in the job board. No need to force Otland staff to do more work.. we can handle ourselves.

In order to +1 rep someone, you should at least have a certain reaction score / points / registration date or be recommended by someone else..

Biggest problem right now is alt accounts / fake reviews imo.
The community recommendation thread. (https://otland.net/threads/the-community-recommendation-thread.156238/) is the perfect start.. we just need to build on it.. maintain it

Part of the issue too explained prev by other users is we cannot edit the threads.. so if I make my own recommendation thread, its going to be an absolute bitch to try and maintain without the ability to edit..

What I had in mind is this...

Recommendations
Nekiro
(xKrazyx, Kaspar, etc)
Znote (xKrazyx)
Qbazz (xKrazyx)
Ezzz (xKrazyx)

Recommendations

C++

Nekiro (xKrazyx, Nemphis)
Qbazz (xKrazyx)
Ezzz (xKrazyx)

PHP
Znote (xKrazyx)
etc..etc..

with the integration of @ makes it really easy to check ppl out/ and whos making the recommendations, you could do this before.. this just brings it all together in a place easy to see thats organized.

Apologies if I used your name w.o permission and it wasnt cool

After a certain amount of time.. given you filter out alt accs and BS recommendations.. you would have a great list.. especially if you also included scam instances.. maybe below the recommendations.. you could even include contact info etc.. all right there for a person to see.

EDIT: and further..

Not Active - Nekiro (xKrazyx, Nemphis)
Active - Qbazz (xKrazyx)
Active -Ezzz - (xKrazyx) - Contact Info: TwistedScorpio#1887

PHP

Not Active - Znote (xKrazyx, Kaspar)
etc..etc..

Scam Reports
-Aurelion Aka Josh Tamm (xKrazyx, Ezzz)

Last edited:
Thats why people should respect the mods more. They do this without any compensation. Would you do that? And I mean in an unprejudiced manner, without any interior motives, and with no personal gain whatsoever? I dont think anyone would be capable enough to put their egos aside, especially seeing how many of you behave here and how you treat others. Show them the respect they deserve atleast, thats all they ask.

Thats why people should respect the mods more. They do this without any compensation. Would you do that? And I mean in an unprejudiced manner, without any interior motives, and with no personal gain whatsoever? I dont think anyone would be capable enough to put their egos aside, especially seeing how many of you behave here and how you treat others. Show them the respect they deserve atleast, thats all they ask.
If you decide to join the mod team, you're giving the most precious thing away for free - your time. Your years of youth. No amount of money can compensate that. You spend your time angry behind the screen, wasting your time dealing with people you don't have to deal with. You could spend that time outside, having fun, doing some physical activities, spending that time with friends or even coding something, but instead of all that, you're here. Spending hours to write responses to reports, browsing through three derailed threads, with rules opened in second tab, to inflict warnings to the users, wasting more time to write reasons behind them, angering others and wasting their time too. Hours go by without you realising. No one will give you that time back. The time you're spending playing the moderator role will always be alien to you. The time you spent not accomplishing anything. The time you spent not building, but destroying the time others have (written post = time spent). The time you didn't even sold. The time you gave away without getting anything in return.

You may argue that using this logic that contribution to public repo is a waste of time too, but it's different. Contributions to repo push the world forward, for common good. It's creation. Moderation is destruction. You destroy content to satisfy your empty sense of justice. Hard to respect someone who respects neither his own time nor the time of other users.

edit: don't try to tell me that I've never been a mod myself. I've spent years moderating the largest polish forum that was about opentibia, never getting paid for it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back