• There is NO official Otland's Discord server and NO official Otland's server list. The Otland's Staff does not manage any Discord server or server list. Moderators or administrator of any Discord server or server lists have NO connection to the Otland's Staff. Do not get scammed!

The Custom Stats Discussion

I could write one that could, sure my system seems incomplete where it applies to spells but this was intentional and in actuality it could apply to anything.

All I really did was give a basic foundation and left the creativity up to the developer, I'm not one to just copy and paste code I like to take it apart and see how it could be in other ways, these few releases are not the extent of my capabilities or imagination but why should I do all the work :p

There is a huge amount of us on theses forums releasing our work in the hopes that it redefines the definition of what it is to be a server, somethings get added to the official release while others are lost to the void.

I've learned quite a bit from the scripts that are released here on these forums this is why i released some of mine, in the hopes that it helps someone else build something spectacular.

No one said you couldn't write a stat system that works for this person's specific server.

I'm saying it is IMPOSSIBLE to write a stat system that works for every custom server that wants a stat system. Even some things mentioned in this thread require a bit of custom scripting that would be specific to this server.

No one said you couldn't write a stat system that works for this person's specific server.

I'm saying it is IMPOSSIBLE to write a stat system that works for every custom server that wants a stat system. Even some things mentioned in this thread require a bit of custom scripting that would be specific to this server.
Nothing is impossible :) Am I the one the prove that? Maybe not but I'd like to think anything is possible :)

Nothing is impossible :) Am I the one the prove that? Maybe not but I'd like to think anything is possible :)
Well people are always going to want something different added, or they don't require something, so it would require constant updates and changes for each individual person, so really there's no way you could use one script to work for all servers. This type of thing isn't a 'one size fits all'.

Well people are always going to want something different added, or they don't require something, so it would require constant updates and changes for each individual person, so really there's no way you could use one script to work for all servers. This type of thing isn't a 'one size fits all'.

Maybe not you guys, but it goes back to what he was saying in the first place..... What he released is some basics to building your own, really more of a library than a system, since it can be used for so many different aspects, it could be used on almost any server, if it weren't for the compatibility issues between distros. Anyways going back to it not being one size fits all, nothing on here is one size fits all at all. Not a single script anywhere, simply because people are unique and their ideas, concepts or desires are unique to them, so there isn't anything that can make everyone happy....

Nothing is impossible is a stupid statement. There are plenty of things that are impossible.

And yes, it is impossible to make a stat system that does everything. You just aren't using your imagination if you think it is possible.

Like my stat system on my server has "meleeRange" and "distanceRange" in it, which will change the range that your distance weapons and melee weapons can hit.
Guess what, this stat can be on rings, armors, helmets, shields, anything.
Tada, you need either source edits, or making a script for every single weapon in weapons.xml for this to work.

So lets say you DO add this functionality to your stat system. You have "meleeRange" and "distanceRange".

Then a new person downloads your stat system and says "hmm I want Elevation stat, that increases your elevation so players and creatures can levitate around."
So they go into TFS source and OTClient source and make a new Elevation ability, where players can float above the ground when they have the elevation stat, the higher the stat, the higher they float.

Tada, you don't have that functionality, and even if you "added" it, they'd need to use YOUR OTClient and TFS to do it. But what if a player already has their own OTClient and TFS? I guess you could have a tutorial of how to add it.

Then a new person would download your OTClient and TFS and Stat System and think to them self, "Hmm, this stat system is great, but I want a stat so when you eat food, it fills you up faster, and a stat that makes potions work better, and a stat that makes it so when you get hit, you urinate on the attacker and it does poison damage, and a stat that makes it so your weapon has a higher chance to cause bleed damage, and a stat that makes it so when you are healed there is a chance for a rainbow appear above my character and it heals other players around me, and a stat that makes it so when I die, rats will come and eat my dead body before other people can loot it (higher the stat, the more rats that come), and a stat that makes it so every time I attack, it posts a new post on THIS thread showing a new stat you don't have (the higher the stat, the longer the forum post would be).

I'm saying custom servers, (at least good ones) require thought, and you can't just copy and paste a bunch of people's ideas and say it's good, you WILL have to do your own custom work, with your own custom systems, and maybe they can use your stat system as a base, but it WILL NOT do everything they need it to do 99% of the time.

Nothing is impossible is a stupid statement. There are plenty of things that are impossible.

And yes, it is impossible to make a stat system that does everything. You just aren't using your imagination if you think it is possible.

Like my stat system on my server has "meleeRange" and "distanceRange" in it, which will change the range that your distance weapons and melee weapons can hit.
Guess what, this stat can be on rings, armors, helmets, shields, anything.
Tada, you need either source edits, or making a script for every single weapon in weapons.xml for this to work.

So lets say you DO add this functionality to your stat system. You have "meleeRange" and "distanceRange".

Then a new person downloads your stat system and says "hmm I want Elevation stat, that increases your elevation so players and creatures can levitate around."
So they go into TFS source and OTClient source and make a new Elevation ability, where players can float above the ground when they have the elevation stat, the higher the stat, the higher they float.

Tada, you don't have that functionality, and even if you "added" it, they'd need to use YOUR OTClient and TFS to do it. But what if a player already has their own OTClient and TFS? I guess you could have a tutorial of how to add it.

Then a new person would download your OTClient and TFS and Stat System and think to them self, "Hmm, this stat system is great, but I want a stat so when you eat food, it fills you up faster, and a stat that makes potions work better, and a stat that makes it so when you get hit, you urinate on the attacker and it does poison damage, and a stat that makes it so your weapon has a higher chance to cause bleed damage, and a stat that makes it so when you are healed there is a chance for a rainbow appear above my character and it heals other players around me, and a stat that makes it so when I die, rats will come and eat my dead body before other people can loot it (higher the stat, the more rats that come), and a stat that makes it so every time I attack, it posts a new post on THIS thread showing a new stat you don't have (the higher the stat, the longer the forum post would be).

I'm saying custom servers, (at least good ones) require thought, and you can't just copy and paste a bunch of people's ideas and say it's good, you WILL have to do your own custom work, with your own custom systems, and maybe they can use your stat system as a base, but it WILL NOT do everything they need it to do 99% of the time.

Damn! @forgee you and I have nothing on @Flatlander when it comes to rants, he just stole the trophy :D

he snaps hella hard here :

and a stat that makes it so every time I attack, it posts a new post on THIS thread showing a new stat you don't have (the higher the stat, the longer the forum post would be).

Damn! @forgee you and I have nothing on @Flatlander when it comes to rants, he just stole the trophy :D

he snaps hella hard here :

Didn't mean to snap or be mean.

@Breed is in no way a bad person, but he is very arrogant for how skilled he is.
We are all here trying to help someone decide on how his stats should work, and how he should design the mechanics and plan ahead for balancing his server.

Then @Breed comes in with his first post saying, "I have already designed this system, it is easy to do, maybe i'll release it soon."

First of all, you did not create THIS stat system that this Poster is working on, it works completely different than your stat system. I haven't seen EITHER of them but I can guarantee you they are VERY different.
Second of all, your post de-railed this poor guy's thread, and I've seen you act the same on other threads. If you want to help, go to the job requests forum, do not post your stuff here unless someone asks for it.
Thirdly, you are quick to get upset. This is the internet, people are going to disagree with you, and you've only been here on otland since Jan 7th 2015, no one knows of you yet, you cannot just rage on every forum expecting people to recognize you as Mr. Super Scripter.

Stat systems are unique because they interact with many different things. When making a custom server, you will need to make a stat system that works with your own server.
You could make a basic stat system that works with the default TFS functionality. Basically editing itemAttributes that are recognized by the TFS source. But by no means is this what this thread is about.

I would hope that this thread can get back on-topic.
Maybe a forum admin should delete all our off-topic posts so that only posts actually related to the topic of this thread are here.

I never said I created a stat system what i did say
I like the idea for upgrading spells
I've built this system already, its actually quite easy to do :)
I might release it soon.

********Responding to below post*********
I will no longer argue with you on this thread. I have also ignored you, I have a problem that I always feel I have to respond to people like you, and show you were you are wrong.

But what evidence can you provide to someone that doesn't value evidence?
What logic can you provide to someone that doesn't think logically?
It's an impossible battle to win, therefor I'll quit now.

Last edited:
How is my statement irrelevant when my reply was to a statement someone post, you just don't like admitting when you are wrong.

@Flatlander your a smart guy but if your looking for me to agree with you it is not going to happen.
The system you built I could build too however in my version I would not be editing the sources.

TFS 1.x, a lot of its functionality that exists in its sources can be emulated in its scripts.
You might be thinking to yourself well if i can change the functionality in the source why would I bother doing it in the script?

Because of the butterfly effect, changing 1 thing no matter how precise or explicit can alter the state of something else and that change can alter the state of another thing which you might not see til you run the application.
So now not only do you have to backtrack to find what is causing the problem but also have to recompile the sources while making those changes could possibly break your custom system.

Creating a system in the scripts minimizes the butterfly effect but also allows you more control in altering the system without the need for a source edit or compile.
TFS functions exist so that we can extend or manipulate the functionality of the server and not everyone knows C++

@Flatlander I am not getting upset, you seem to be the one getting up because I am not agreeing with your opinion
You do not know everything and neither do I and we will probably never agree on this subject but I will just agree to disagree and leave it at that.

@Topic

You have two stats of dexterity listed on the main post. I think those traits should be merged with agility, and all fall under dexterity, except for critical hit, I think critical hit should fall under strength. And the strengths should be merged as well. Then health/vitality(the one I would go with), health regain as a stat as well. Same with wisdom/int/mana/magic, mana regain as a stat...

lol @ OTLand. Anyways, the difference between the stats is very minor but I do agree that maybe it would be wise to merge them for the sake of adaptability.
@Topic

You have two stats of dexterity listed on the main post. I think those traits should be merged with agility, and all fall under dexterity, except for critical hit, I think critical hit should fall under strength. And the strengths should be merged as well. Then health/vitality(the one I would go with), health regain as a stat as well. Same with wisdom/int/mana/magic, mana regain as a stat...
Codinablack, are you saying that:
[2 VOTE] Weapon Mastery - Attack Power/Weapon Dynamic
[5 VOTE] Agility - Speed + Evasion + Ranged Power
[3 VOTE] Health/Vitality/Constitution - Health + Armor/Defense/Capacity?
[2 VOTE] Magic/Energy/Wisdom - Mana + Magic Power/Spell Reqs
[2 VOTE] Strength - Pysical Damage + Defense + Crit Chance + Hit

Would be a better alternative than the current setup?

lol @ OTLand. Anyways, the difference between the stats is very minor but I do agree that maybe it would be wise to merge them for the sake of adaptability.

Codinablack, are you saying that:
[2 VOTE] Weapon Mastery - Attack Power/Weapon Dynamic
[5 VOTE] Agility - Speed + Evasion + Ranged Power
[3 VOTE] Health/Vitality/Constitution - Health + Armor/Defense/Capacity?
[2 VOTE] Magic/Energy/Wisdom - Mana + Magic Power/Spell Reqs
[2 VOTE] Strength - Pysical Damage + Defense + Crit Chance + Hit

Would be a better alternative than the current setup?
Seems pretty solid. You could adjust the properties to your setup and voilà.

You could also put Capacity on Strength if you wanted.
Seems pretty solid. You could adjust the properties to your setup and voilà.

I have updated the thread. Weapon Mastery has been removed.

Starting Stats:
Level: 1
Health: 150
Mana: 50

Agility:
Ranged Power - ?
Hit - ?
Evasion - ?
Speed - ?

Vitality:
Health - ?
**Armor - ?

Wisdom:
Magic Power - ?
Mana - ?
**Spell reqs - ?

Strength:
Physical Damage - ?
Crit Chance - ?
Defense - ?
Capacity - ?

RED = OFFENSIVE
GREEN = DEFENSIVE
PURPLE = OTHER
** = UNSURE

These are the current stats chosen, based on all feedback.

Last edited:
Updated the thread a bit more. I wont keep updating every update to it unless I get feedback.

I like agility, but I feel for the traits listed dexterity fits better

This thread is just starting to get good. Lets keep 'er goin'

I don't think that Physical Damage and Crit Chance should both be on the Strength stat.

Most games put Crit Chance on dexterity, or agility.
This is because getting more damage and also a chance to crit all on 1 stat makes it the ultimate damage stat.

Also I know you've stated "Speed" can be many things, maybe you should start defining the specifics?

Like:
Strength:
Physical Damage -
Increases physical damage done
Crit Chance - Increases chance for critical strike
Defense - Increases armor? or defense? or both? or something new like block recovery?
Capacity - Increases player capacity

Back