• There is NO official Otland's Discord server and NO official Otland's server list. The Otland's Staff does not manage any Discord server or server list. Moderators or administrator of any Discord server or server lists have NO connection to the Otland's Staff. Do not get scammed!

The reason why tfs is delayed: we let the great programmers goes away

Honestly I would even risk to say that tfs isn't the server that you download and run, it's the base which you can utilize to create anything you want. We are taking into consideration performance issues or other critical server issues
(and game breaking bugs), but if you gonna come here and say "cip tibia has this and tfs dont, add it", then yeah you are right no one will bother, as it's not mandatory to have this nor priority.

Honestly I would even risk to say that tfs isn't the server that you download and run, it's the base which you can utilize to create anything you want. We are taking into consideration performance issues or other critical server issues
(and game breaking bugs), but if you gonna come here and say "cip tibia has this and tfs dont, add it", then yeah you are right no one will bother, as it's not mandatory to have this nor priority.
Ok, this is probably why most issues are not solved for months/years - you never considered them as important. This is also a reason why less and less people are reporting problems. As someone said earlier - no one even bother to waste time. I wish you good luck in continuing your development process. I disagree with path you are all following, but right, it's your project, your responsibility.

And to clarify something, I wrote these posts today to see what's the reason behind why no one of you ever bothered to create pull request here:
Answer is now obvious: you decided it's not important. Segfault is not critical server issue.

By the way check this issue which I could not get fixed in any way and decided it's critical issue for tfs and your first comments:

nekiro commented on 10 Apr 2019

Does it? Because everytime I hear about that crash its related to some otx code or other modified one.

You ignored critical issue and let it be for another months. Be humble, that's all I ask for I guess. You are not a god ;)

Wish you all good luck.

Ok, this is probably why most issues are not solved for months/years - you never considered them as important. This is also a reason why less and less people are reporting problems. As someone said earlier - no one even bother to waste time. I wish you good luck in continuing your development process. I disagree with path you are all following, but right, it's your project, your responsibility.

And to clarify something, I wrote these posts today to see what's the reason behind why no one of you ever bothered to create pull request here:
Answer is now obvious: you decided it's not important. Segfault is not critical server issue.

By the way check this issue which I could not get fixed in any way and decided it's critical issue for tfs and your first comments:

Does it? Because everytime I hear about that crash its related to some otx code or other modified one.

You ignored critical issue and let it be for another months. Be humble, that's all I ask for I guess. You are not a god ;)

Wish you all good luck.
no, I'm the god, you can't say that.

I have to defend nekiro in this one: you were using a modified - and therefore untested by the developers - version of the file, and were unable to nail down the issue to the specific function call that crashes it. When reporting issues in modified files, at least try to find a minimal reproducible example i.e. comment line by line/branch by branch until you find the one that crashes.

Many don't bother creating issues or PR's anymore because they are just going to sit there for months on end, completely ignored anyway. And that's a fact I've heard from multiple people (and myself) who previously contributed to TFS quite frequently.
This seems to have improved over the course of this month, that's good to see. However, I just got 4 email notifications from the forked OTC repo, where there are a prime examples of what I meant. 4 pull requests, 3 of which were entirely ignored for 6-9 months, and one that took 4 months to even get a review or comment, after asking about it multiple times, months apart. The author lost hope and ended up closing all of his PR's.

This seems to have improved over the course of this month, that's good to see. However, I just got 4 email notifications from the forked OTC repo, where there are a prime examples of what I meant. 4 pull requests, 3 of which were entirely ignored for 6-9 months, and one that took 4 months to even get a review or comment, after asking about it multiple times, months apart. The author lost hope and ended up closing all of his PR's.

We aren't really maintaining this otc repo. You should contribute to mehah otc or the main otc repo, but I think its dead too, so the best bet is help mehah.

We aren't really maintaining this otc repo. You should contribute to mehah otc or the main otc repo, but I think its dead too, so the best bet is help mehah.
Yeah, just wanted to show that as example of why a bunch of people stopped bothering with their contributions. About that forked repo, no idea why that was ever done to begin with, all that has accomplished was splitting the already small group of OTC contributors even further apart

Yeah, just wanted to show that as example of why a bunch of people stopped bothering with their contributions. About that forked repo, no idea why that was ever done to begin with, all that has accomplished was splitting the already small group of OTC contributors even further apart
That's the problem. People have no idea of how/why things happened, still they complain without putting the effort. OTC was forked because it was 2 years without a maintainer, as soon as it was forked Iryont went back to main repository and it got some activity again, soon after OTCv8 became a thing. The otland fork just lost purpose, it was meant to concentrate the efforts, not to split. Using it as exemple ilustrates nothing, it's a totally different monster which state relate to other problems not related at all with this topic.

It is hard to rely on Don to move everything foward by himself. "Ohh but a pull request is months without being pushed", yeah, there is a need for more people involved reviewing code and changes.

Why you people can't stop being obnoxious by bumping this thread parroting nonstop "commits should be pushed!", "issues should be addressed", "bugs should be fixed", "code should be reviewed". That doesn't sound smart, pretty the opposite, makes you look a clueless guy that can't realize that man power is needed to achieve that. If you are not the person that gonna get your hands dirty helping, over repeating that other people should do more doesn't help at all.

People have no idea of how/why things happened, still they complain without putting the effort. OTC was forked because it was 2 years without a maintainer
I mean, I was there and saw why they did it, I meant why it was done in such a stupid way

Using it as exemple ilustrates nothing, it's a totally different monster which state relate to other problems not related at all with this topic.
It does, because the same shit happens in the TFS repo and the same shit happens in RME repo, and most other relevant tools repos, like Item Editor and whatnot. I just used this as an example because I got examples served on a silver platter and I'm not about to go back in the TFS repo history to find similar examples

It is hard to rely on Don to move everything foward by himself.
Nobody talked about Don

parroting nonstop "commits should be pushed!", "issues should be addressed", "bugs should be fixed", "code should be reviewed"
I've seen TFS maintainers reply back with the opposite a few times, saying that the community needs to contribute in order to move things forward, but then when it happens, barely anyone cares about it

If you are not the person that gonna get your hands dirty helping, over repeating that other people should do more doesn't help at all.
See point above, one shouldn't expect to have one without the other

Not replying here anymore now since I don't like to discuss with people. If anyone wants further confirmation then simply go around and ask some people personally about why they stopped contributing, perhaps you can even start in OTLand's own (sometimes previous) staff & support team

I have to defend nekiro in this one: you were using a modified - and therefore untested by the developers - version of the file, and were unable to nail down the issue to the specific function call that crashes it. When reporting issues in modified files, at least try to find a minimal reproducible example i.e. comment line by line/branch by branch until you find the one that crashes.
I stated that this is bug that resides in otland repository. As a response, I got a mocking answer. I know I did not know exactly how to reproduce it, but that's because I simply was not aware of it. But that crash was real and I was not the first one with that issue.

Hey,

If you know the repos that are ahead of the tfs with their improvements (performance, bugfixes), please let tfs devs know with links to exact commits.
If there's enough of it, we can make some sort of to do list.

Back