• There is NO official Otland's Discord server and NO official Otland's server list. The Otland's Staff does not manage any Discord server or server list. Moderators or administrator of any Discord server or server lists have NO connection to the Otland's Staff. Do not get scammed!

Tibia Update System

Status
Not open for further replies.

Delirium

OTLand veteran
Staff member
Global Moderator
Solutions
Reaction score
Hello.

You guys have noticed for sure that when you have an outdated client, it updates automatically using a built-in update interface. Why don't otserv developers implement usage for that function so we can update our own servers that way? Would be cool.

What do you think?

epic-fail-facepalm.jpg

Indeed for me, is it so hard to enter website and download the client manually?

Btw. maybe someone play at other OTS and then it just will change his 8.1 client with 8.42 then he'll have to download 8.1 again because he need it on another OTS.

Eot?

epic-fail-facepalm.jpg

Indeed for me, is it so hard to enter website and download the client manually?

Btw. maybe someone play at other OTS and then it just will change his 8.1 client with 8.42 then he'll have to download 8.1 again because he need it on another OTS.

Eot?

Lol fail...
Do you read the posts?
What he ment was "The SERVER" will update itself to latest client, if tibia releases client 8.50 we need to grab a server which supports 8.50, what he wants is that it will update itself to 8.50 so it supports 8.50

Should that make it clear?

Gratz, failed for second time on the same thread. Do you even know that the forgotten server team is working hard on implementing new features and updating tfs? No. Get your facts straight before you start talking, then you won't need to fail.

Last edited by a moderator:
But then you would have to update the client right? ;(

It would be very nice and EASY then, I hope they think about it atleast.

Not hard making an update system, the downside is that OT community's would get a less visitors :p

This wouldn't be an easy task.
I am sure Talaturen + Elf + Slawkens can figure something out.

There is something like "Patcher.exe" in Tibia :p

There is something like "Patcher.exe" in Tibia :p

That's the thingie patching the client. OTServ team should implement this instead of having that message saying "Only clients with protocol blabla are allowed."

Or maybe that's something clientsided.

About auto-updater thing for server.. Ya its good idea, and not so hard at all, but there are currently much more important things to-do. I believe somewhere in the future there will be such thing, but now its not high-priority thing.
And remember that there are still too much things which you must patch manually, like custom actions etc. From 0.3.5 there is mod system, so data/ directory should stay untouched and will be easiest to replace.

Even if we manage to fix it, it wouldn't be safe. What if the server you're playing on replaces your Tibia.exe with a virus?

You as a OT Developer shoudln't care about this, players should care, they trust or they don't trust simple.

how do you determine trust by a server name and description? There is no way to tell who gives out a virus client and who doesnt...people wont know till its too late.

So I suggest other thing:
When it says 'your tibia client is outdated' it will just download tibia client from some otland.net website (maybe clients.otland.net? )

Anyway: I don't think it's good idea. Open Tibia Players usually got 5-6 versions of Tibia and they just runned the old one by mistake. Now they may be forced to update like 7.6 client to 8.42 and they could be angry :)

Auto updating client? Useless. Changes in client don't happen so often and OT players usually have ALL clients.

Auto updating server? Rotfl, if someone is too lazy to get the newest version of TFS he shouldn't host a server lol, also there are always too many changes made in the server.

Even if we manage to fix it, it wouldn't be safe. What if the server you're playing on replaces your Tibia.exe with a virus?

Indeed :eek:

So ain't there anyway to make it impossible to change the download link of the client?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back