• There is NO official Otland's Discord server and NO official Otland's server list. The Otland's Staff does not manage any Discord server or server list. Moderators or administrator of any Discord server or server lists have NO connection to the Otland's Staff. Do not get scammed!

Very important - Rules change on otservlist.org

Personally I think both sides arguments are - at least to some extent - to be considered reasonable and such a huge change should be well discussed and reviewed before acctually going life instead of being pushed.

Last edited by a moderator:
this decision is gonna destroy otservlist if you don't provide code or think this decision over more thoroughly
but that's none of my business

this decision is gonna destroy otservlist if you don't provide code or think this decision over more thoroughly
but that's none of my business

I don't care if they provide code, it is still an incredibly stupid idea.

With "fixing" this problem, you create a bigger problem.

If I am correct, and the majority (or at least a large percentage) of OT-Players use Proxies and Tunnels to reduce ping, you are going to be blocking most of them.
Then, if I am correct, and most gold-farmers are smart enough to use virtual machines and spoof their IP, you won't catch any of them.
Also, the fact that most players do MC a few characters, you won't catch them either since you ALLOW 3 MCs EACH anyway.

it would be better to only count unique hardware ids instead.
but since this is OT, we're still using tibia client and have no way to gather hardware ids via the client, we can't use it.

I'd accept that 1000000x more than only count unique ips, since you can't be 2 people on same computer :)

Internet cafes ? Can you count how many cafes are still open in your city ? Because in my city it is only one left and it used to be like 10 of them 8 years ago. You want to say that hundreds of people on dreamhack played some OT ? I also doubt that someone plays Open Tibia in that cafe. I completely agree with this new rule, it will make the list more clear.

About WTFast: Not all players use the same end point to connect the OT. I would also bet that is almost impossible to have more than 10 unique players with same IP using WTFast.

About proxy: Please comfigure your proxy to send real IP of the player to your server.

We have only few players with more than 4 mc on Gunzodus and there are probably some servers that even has less real players but showing a lot more.

Last edited:
Interesting way of fixing the issue, just reject any connection after 4? I mean, really; that's the way you're going to do it?
I mean, actually.. by all means go ahead. Just so users know, I dont think we'd ever subject you to a change like this at OTList.

Last edited:
How are you even going to check this? I mean, the protocolstatus doesn't send any of the info of the player besides of the name and the level... Am I wrong?

How are you even going to check this? I mean, the protocolstatus doesn't send any of the info of the player besides of the name and the level... Am I wrong?
Only with manual checks of whom he decides to check I assume.

I've created a working code you can implement in your server.

protocolstatus.cpp (TFS 1.0/1.1/1.2)
Someone can do it for 8.6

@xinn @Sir Knighter @Flatlander

Change:
C++:
players.append_attribute("online") = std::to_string(g_game.getPlayersOnline()).c_str();

To this:

C++:
uint32_t real = 0;

std::map<uint32_t, uint32_t> listIP;

for (const auto& it : g_game.getPlayers()) {
   if (it.second->getIP() != 0) {
      auto ip = listIP.find(it.second->getIP());
      if (ip != listIP.end()) {
         listIP[it.second->getIP()]++;
         if (listIP[it.second->getIP()] < 5) {
            real++;
         }
      } else {
         listIP[it.second->getIP()] = 1;
         real++;
      }
   }
}
players.append_attribute("online") = std::to_string(real).c_str();

Last edited:

Change:
Code:
players.append_attribute("online") = std::to_string(g_game.getPlayersOnline()).c_str();

To this:

Code:
int real = 0;

real++;
         }
      } else {
         real++;
      }
   }
}
Do a PR on http://github.com/Otland/theforgottenserver.

It would not be merged probably.

I don't care if they provide code, it is still an incredibly stupid idea.

With "fixing" this problem, you create a bigger problem.

If I am correct, and the majority (or at least a large percentage) of OT-Players use Proxies and Tunnels to reduce ping, you are going to be blocking most of them.
Then, if I am correct, and most gold-farmers are smart enough to use virtual machines and spoof their IP, you won't catch any of them.
Also, the fact that most players do MC a few characters, you won't catch them either since you ALLOW 3 MCs EACH anyway.

This rule does not say you must disallow more than 4 MC, it says you just don't send them in your status protocol. Second thing is, the proxy providers are not that stupid to send 200 unique connections to one server with same IP since there are a lot more protocols that blocks some amount of connections with same source IP (at least Apache and nginx has it by default I think). So proxy providers must count with that. I've already mentioned WTFast.

I still haven't seen relevant argument against this rule

Last edited by a moderator:

@xinn @Sir Knighter @Flatlander

Change:
Code:

To this:

Code:
uint32_t real = 0;

real++;
         }
      } else {
         real++;
      }
   }
}
Thanks, Ninja planned to do it this weekend but I'm sure he appreciates you saving some time on his behalf.

Internet cafes ? Can you count how many cafes are still open in your city ? Because in my city it is only one left and it used to be like 10 of them 8 years ago. You want to say that hundreds of people on dreamhack played some OT ? I also doubt that someone plays Open Tibia in that cafe. I completely agree with this new rule, it will make the list more clear.

About WTFast: Not all players use the same end point to connect the OT. I would also bet that is almost impossible to have more than 10 unique players with same IP using WTFast.

About proxy: Please comfigure your proxy to send real IP of the player to your server.

We have only few players with more than 4 mc on Gunzodus and there are probably some servers that even has less real players but showing a lot more.

You live in the modern world mate, stop assuming all tibia players live in modern flats/houses with fiber connection.
There's still a shitload of places there people can't afford computer and fancy stuffs, places there internet cafe's is still very popular.
And don't forget that in some real poor cities, half the city could be using the same IP..

I had few players from god knows where, I don't remember which country but seemed like Thailand similar, a very poor city in the eye of modern cities, there you could get like 50 kb/s internet and share IP with an entire city.

So.. Stop assuming everyone lives as fancy as you do.

Internet cafe's are dying in Sweden, while huge lan parties grow, Dreamhack etc.. people really like LAN playing..
So once more, your point is invalid because huge groups will still be using same IPs.

You live in the modern world mate, stop assuming all tibia players live in modern flats/houses with fiber connection.
There's still a shitload of places there people can't afford computer and fancy stuffs, places there internet cafe's is still very popular.
And don't forget that in some real poor cities, half the city could be using the same IP..

I had few players from god knows where, I don't remember which country but seemed like Thailand similar, a very poor city in the eye of modern cities, there you could get like 50 kb/s internet and share IP with an entire city.

So.. Stop assuming everyone lives as fancy as you do.

Internet cafe's are dying in Sweden, while huge lan parties grow, Dreamhack etc.. people really like LAN playing..
So once more, your point is invalid because huge groups will still be using same IPs.

I actually don't live in a modern world. I live in Slovakia which is on the tail of modern countries. (sadly)
Maybe you can take a time and demonstrate the problem. Say some example of the city, upload some statistics and we can talk not just mention what bad things can happen. You can also invite all of your players to your living room and complain this rule. I can provide statistics of my server from past 3 years. The big majority countries are Brazil, Poland, Sweden. It is very unique to see more then 4 unique players from same IP.

Dreamhack and other lan parties: I've already mentioned VPN/Tunnel providers are not stupid to give every client same IP. The same goes for a lan parties. They've got network managers who usually got some IP prefix they can use, for example of size 256 addresses they divide between guests, players and staff. If only 32 addresses goes for guests you have 128 real players you can send using status protocol. Do you think you can have more than 128 ppl playing your OT from Dreamhack ?

I actually don't live in a modern world. I live in Slovakia which is on the tail of modern countries. (sadly)
Maybe you can take a time and demonstrate the problem. Say some example of the city, upload some statistics and we can talk not just mention what bad things can happen. You can also invite all of your players to your living room and complain this rule. I can provide statistics of my server from past 3 years. The big majority countries are Brazil, Poland, Sweden. It is very unique to see more then 4 unique players from same IP.

Dreamhack and other lan parties: I've already mentioned VPN/Tunnel providers are not stupid to give every client same IP. The same goes for a lan parties. They've got network managers who usually got some IP prefix they can use, for example of size 256 addresses they divide between guests, players and staff. If only 32 addresses goes for guests you have 128 real players you can send using status protocol. Do you think you can have more than 128 ppl playing your OT from Dreamhack ?

so just because most people have unique IPs, we should throw everyone out from same canyon?
Limiting IP is still stupid, and trying to justify it by saying most players have unique I'ds is like having a debug problem in a OT.. "eh, I don't need fix.. only 5% of the players get debugged per day so no worries...."

so just because most people have unique IPs, we should throw everyone out from same canyon?
Limiting IP is still stupid, and trying to justify it by saying most players have unique I'ds is like having a debug problem in a OT.. "eh, I don't need fix.. only 5% of the players get debugged per day so no worries...."

Have you read something about limiting IP ? You can have as many players as you want on one IP, just dont send them using status protocol. I posted working solution on previous page

We have a huge mix of people who actually knows what is good for the players, people who don't really understand that this rule isn't about limitting the number of characters logged in from single IP (but about what status protocol says), theoretist which bases their opinion on wrong assumptions, and people who thinks that this change will have any negative effect on otservlist ;) This rule is about sending the MORE accurate information about your server. It's good for people searching for servers because they receive more accurate server, it is bad for servers who thinks that they can encourage few people to login as many MCs as possible to look like a big server and deceive people who doesn't like playing on low populated servers.

@gunz:
Thank you for the code. I've updated the first post to include a link to it so everyone can find it without any problems. You are totally correct about the proxies/internet caffes, it's the same here on Hexera. We have none players from internet caffes and few

@Sir Knighter
Although I think this change is the right idea and beneficial in the long run, we are sponsored by wtfast and a massive chunk of our NA player base use WTFast. Your points idea is a very interesting proposition and hopefully something Xinn would consider.
When I checked your server last time, there were not a single IP exceeding the number of 4MC's connected to your server using any of the proxy service. I haven't checked the numbers below 4 but you can do it by yourself to have a full picture. It just shows that even that you are "sponsored by wtfast", this change will have a neutral effect when it comes to counting people connected via external proxy services.

@Flatlander:
Your assumptions about the number of proxy players are just wrong. There is NO server with such numbers of players logging in via external proxy services. For example now, on our server, we have 0 players logged in via proxy who have 2-4 MCs. If majority of your players are forced to use proxy to play lag-free on your server than you made a bad business decision about the location of your server. Internal proxies which doesn't relay the real client IP are just wrong so I don't even take them into the consideration because they simply shouldn't exist.

@OpenTibiaServer:
How is that better than counting IPs? ;) I have 4 old laptops here. Not to mention Virtual PCs which will have different hardware ID than the PC on which they are run.
Also, please read the first post one more time because it looks like you keep discussing but you don't get the fundamental thing - we don't want to limit servers to have more than 4 characters logged in from single IP. We just want them to return the more accurate number of players playing their server.

@Three Magic:
I believe you are talking from a server's owner perspective. Server owner who tries to deceive casual players about the real number of players playing on particular server because for my visitors this change is great. It would be perfect if all servers also returned the number of unique players connected to the server.

Back