• There is NO official Otland's Discord server and NO official Otland's server list. The Otland's Staff does not manage any Discord server or server list. Moderators or administrator of any Discord server or server lists have NO connection to the Otland's Staff. Do not get scammed!

What happened to Open-Tibia?

Neon

Legendary OT User
Reaction score
I remember "back in the days", when Open-Tibia was about Open-Tibia and doing it by yourself... And not about making money by downloading a map and a server and put it up in 5 minutes.
Open-Tibia nowdays is at the lowest level ever imo. Kids playing on servers and paying for donation items just to get good or overpowered on a server that will last for about 2-3 days.

Same goes to the community, like Otland, Otfans and the rest... The only thing I see is "I need help with this script!" or "Need help to setup server please!!".
Before making a god damn thread asking for help and shit... Check some tutorials and learn by yourself you lazy ass motherfucker.

Now, I don't say I'm a master of setting up an Open-Tibia Server, because I really suck at it.
But atleast I try, and sometimes I manage to fix it, but sometimes I ask my brother to help me out.

But one thing I did do was to learn how to map from the first time I used MapEditor, I was trash at the beginning but I didn't ask for any help to create something that I wanted to create by MYSELF.
Once I got good at what I was doing, I started making friends with the same skill as myself, and some of them I made servers with.

But atleast we made the map and server from scratch.
There are still people making their own servers and scripts/maps.
And I respect that really much. Because there is nothing worse than kids that has no clue how to do anything, setting up a server, JUST TO GET MONEY.
I hope you can agree with what I'm trying to say here.

Why did I stop mapping?

I stopped mapping because Open-Tibia is trash and Open-Tibia is all about downloading a map and earning money from something you didn't do.
So there is no reason to map, really. Mapping is no longer needed in the Open-Tibia community.

So the last words I wanna say in this post is...
FUCK THE NEW OPEN-TIBIA KIDS!
If you are offended with what I just said, good because I don't give a fuck.

Over and out,
Neon

Last edited:
I agree with all u said, but this has been discussed again and again, and unfortunately, its not going anywhere :(

I blame the current generation, they make everything so easy(in RL too) that kids don't like challenges anymore, I still remember playing Mario on my Gameboy having no save games anywhere, and I played it for hours on end, do you think that something like this would work today? as soon as they'd die they would just cry that they had to do it all again and give up, or look at games where you have instructions for everything, what happened to figuring stuff out by yourself -.-

people(kids) today have no persistence, nor will to learn stuff by themselves, and are generally too lazy to do anything, and unfortunately I doubt we will see much improvement in the near future, but I still have hope for the far future..

come on, they got X diagnose, they can't help it!

There are the few legit custom
servers. But yh its fucked.

- - - Updated - - -

The modern day thinkers are that lazy they will never do. So that the original doers must think and do the tasks of the modern thinker on his behalf. That being such a process and human labour waste apparent that is far less efficient and advantageous has shaped a new humanity who are known as the least capable regardless of new technologies.

- - - Updated - - -

In otherwords we're fucked

I blame the current generation, they make everything so easy(in RL too) that kids don't like challenges anymore, I still remember playing Mario on my Gameboy having no save games anywhere, and I played it for hours on end, do you think that something like this would work today? as soon as they'd die they would just cry that they had to do it all again and give up, or look at games where you have instructions for everything, what happened to figuring stuff out by yourself

This, 100%.

Games are becoming to easy, everything has become in a sense easy, i can't remember the last game i played where i was actually stuck.
Tibia use to do this for me, then they changed & updated, ruined PVP.

Metal Gear Solid, one boss you had to put your controller into the 2nd player slot to defeat him, WHAT the fuck game do you know now, that does that?
All the CODs you can complete in afew hours, you're portrayed as this one man army protagonist that can never be stopped or defeated.

Might say it has nothing to do with games, or anything like that, but it has, when everything around you is easy, you expect everything to be easy, when everything is hard & you push yourself to complete it, you get better & think more for yourself as you have done before.

-In other words we're fucked.
by GhostX

Last edited:
The problem is custom servers arent valued much anymore ;( ppl dont appreciate it if someone puts work into ot. They want it like it is :( thats why u should get away from ot developing, though playing a ot is still fun sometimes.
Me for example im learning now c++ .. Im happy and gonna male some programs but no game :)

That's because micro payments have became very popular and advanced within last few years and it's not just OpenTibia, all game communities started to make premium services as they realized they can make some money off their work. Of course some people just "download and run" as you mentioned, but once again it's not just OpenTibia and that's because new people have already had scripts for premium services as they were introduced to the community, so why not make use of something that is available and free? Also, if you didn't really care you wouldn't cry out loudly on a public forum.

Just my two cents.

Tbh i have thought about this and the main reason for this? Us. Alot of users ask for help and we neglect them n say "no one is going to spoonfeed you". But let's just say we "tutor" them into understanding hiw/what why and when. Atleast this would benefit the community rather than isolating ourselves from the needy. Don't provide a solution, provide a guide.

I remember in the old days, there were competitions among server developers.

Neverland (especially this was the TFS of the old days)
CrazyToko
Brabexia
Survival
Ghettobird
YurOts
DevLand
Coldflamez
The Forgotten Server
Evolutions

First of all, no it is not just open tibia. It's everywhere.

What has changed, is people are extremely money hungry and if they have a chance to make money from anything, they will take that chance and abuse it.

Just look at the hip hop gender, it used to be poetic with meaningful lyrics.

Now what is it? I won't even say anything.

That's because micro payments have became very popular and advanced within last few years and it's not just OpenTibia, all game communities started to make premium services as they realized they can make some money off their work. Of course some people just "download and run" as you mentioned, but once again it's not just OpenTibia and that's because new people have already had scripts for premium services as they were introduced to the community, so why not make use of something that is available and free? Also, if you didn't really care you wouldn't cry out loudly on a public forum.

Just my two cents.

A very interesting perspective on the evolution of micro payments.

CrazyToko
Brabexia
Survival
Ghettobird
YurOts
DevLand
Coldflamez
The Forgotten Server
Evolutions

Whoa, I don't remember half of those. The first server I ever ran was 7.4 YurOTs map server. I remember a few painstaking weeks figuring out how to get it running on localhost. I also remember when Neverland was released by Ruly(?) and it was the sheit!

Red

CrazyToko
Brabexia
Survival
Ghettobird
YurOts
DevLand
Coldflamez
The Forgotten Server
Evolutions
Can't forget mr.Eldin, damn he released distros xD

Just my two cents.

People making money out of something they didn't do. I know what you trying to say, and I know that making some money out of the smallest things has become very popular.
But as I said, when it comes to making money out of someone else's work, that's just wrong.

Now I know servers like The Forgotten Server is a free server, and you can download it for free. But when it comes to the maps and scripts... Mappers arn't really needed in the Open-Tibia community anymore because everyone is using shitty maps like RoXoR and Real Tibian Map. They use these maps because they can't be arsed to make their own maps because they SUCK at what they do.

Anyways, your statement is correct, but I never said I don't really care because I do. All I said was that "If you are offended, good because I don't give a fuck."

Thats why I started to do my own Project/Game :p
I have a Team and we do everything we need by ourselves. (Graphics, Sound, Map Editor, Client, Server. Everything done with C++)
There is nothing to worry about ^__^

Back