• There is NO official Otland's Discord server and NO official Otland's server list. The Otland's Staff does not manage any Discord server or server list. Moderators or administrator of any Discord server or server lists have NO connection to the Otland's Staff. Do not get scammed!

What makes an OTS good nowadays?

Currently developing my own OTS, and the only thing I have in mind is "Would I log in to this every day?". How do I create enough content for players, which creates a sense of demand to log in? Therefor, I develop a serverthe way I would want to play it. I love RPG, stimulating my brain, and tasks/raids that is not easy to complete. I mean, if I just log in to do easy task everyday, maybe even the same task every day, this could be fun for a week. Then I'd get sick of it. My goal is to develop a server myself would be willing to play for at least a year, and after a year, do I quit? No, I set new goals.

Very good advice. "Create an OT you yourself would like to play". So simple, yet so true. There's an audience for everything. This is kind of the approach I'm going with right now, since not any map has entirely satisfied me (only partially), meaning I'm simply mapping my own world now. Might be good, might be bad. Who knows. But I'd play it.

Very good advice. "Create an OT you yourself would like to play". So simple, yet so true. There's an audience for everything. This is kind of the approach I'm going with right now, since not any map has entirely satisfied me (only partially), meaning I'm simply mapping my own world now. Might be good, might be bad. Who knows. But I'd play it.
That's the road to endup being the only guy online in your own server. Focus on public rather than your own projections. I know better as I've been playing alone for the past 2 years...

You can guide what people want, but there are many limitations to it. Let's say the core of tibia players want X but you like servers that are Y.

Assuming X < Y, each change you make in X to make a little closer to Y makes you distant a little from X. Sometimes you have to change your Y instead of trying to change X to make them balanced. I'm not saying you don't have to create something new and unique, it's just that you have to start with a base that is similar to what is familiar and requested by your public.

You can guide what people want, but there are many limitations to it. Let's say the core of tibia players want X but you like servers that are Y.

Assuming X < Y, each change you make in X to make a little closer to Y makes you distant a little from X. Sometimes you have to change your Y instead of trying to change X to make them balanced. I'm not saying you don't have to create something new and unique, it's just that you have to start with a base that is similar to what is familiar and requested by your public.
Good point. Noted.

Many people tend to make something unique and custom from the start. The best and most crowded servers are the ones that started very similar to tibia global and did updates to guide their public towards what they imagined. This is great because you do changes over time and soften the effect of strangeness, also you can collect feedback from what your public want, and take them to where they wanna be. When you develop without feedback to guide, you are running in the dark and the chances that you end up in the finish line tend to 0.

Exactly. I mean, as well for development, why would anyone wanna play a world, if you would not want to play it yourself? OTS has become saturated with owners who's only intention from a world is to make money. Create something great, that you would want to play, and even if it does not accumulate the attention or playerbase you would prefer, at least you can have a great time developing it!

Back