• There is NO official Otland's Discord server and NO official Otland's server list. The Otland's Staff does not manage any Discord server or server list. Moderators or administrator of any Discord server or server lists have NO connection to the Otland's Staff. Do not get scammed!

Xikini's - - Titan Kingdoms, Updates/Progress/Suggestions & Discussion Thread

Have gotten our test bench transferred to my laptop.
I'll be able to create scripts at work in my downtime.
Woo. More progress. :rolleyes:

-- Edit

The update list looks pretty bare since I've only been putting large updates onto it.
I'm probably going to start adding any/all updates to the server onto it so you all (ya'll :rolleyes:) can see the real progress.

Last edited:
Progress updated.

Should see daily/semi daily updates to main post for the next few weeks, as larger systems are all mostly complete.

Always looking for additional idea's and feedback. :D

Here's some ideas/suggestions. :D
  • Try to make mining more exciting and possibly limited. Add in rare items you can get or even a chance for a unique monster to spawn. What I mean by limited is to make it so players can only mine a certain amount each day to prevent people from botting and so that people aren't able to mine for 1-2 days straight to achieve the highest level mining and then make the best weapon or whatever. If it's limited then it's something players can do each day, they won't get bored of it, and this way they will slowly build up their goal. I usually don't like the idea of "limiting" players but in this case it could work.
  • It would be cool to see each of the runes changed around and edited to fit the server. Typically most servers edit a healing rune, mana rune, and a SD rune, but no one ever bothers to change the other runes. I know in the previous version there was a vocation I think Esper? and a part of it's kit was that it had a rune that would teleport the player. That was a really cool mechanic! It would be awesome to see all of the runes used to their potentials.
  • I can't stand all of these servers that have "outfit bonuses" but they go about it the wrong way. They give make it so each outfit has it's own bonus instead of a consecutive bonus for each full outfit you have. It forces the player to choose bonuses vs cosmetics... it should be the other way around so that how many outfits you have reflect the bonus you get. Is it hard to script? I wonder why no one does it this way (aside from balancing).
  • Tibia has so many keys that you can use... why not use as many keys as possible?! Make special hunting places/bosses/quests that require a key. Make some keys a rare drop from monsters to give players an incentive to hunt a variety of monsters rather than the ones that just give the best EXP and loot.
  • Put some books around the map in containers or bookshelves. Add secret riddles and quest throughout the messages in the books. Make some tough riddles for the RPG players out there.
  • I always liked the idea of being able to use a pick on a specific tile which would then open up a secret hole. Perhaps add that in and then make it so NPCs and books contain information on where these secret holes are.
  • I enjoy when servers have a type of system where there is a rare chance for a powerful version of that monster to spawn which yields rares and more loot. I used to play the MMORPG Silkroad a while back and it had a pretty cool system that worked like this. Say you were hunting tigers.. there would be a chance for a champion tiger to spawn and then a smaller chance for a giant tiger to spawn.
  • In all of my years of playing OTs with an upgrade system I've never enjoyed one more than the one Ascalon had. The thing I don't like about upgrade systems is that you can spend so much time and resources to upgrade and item, and then an hour later you find a better item but you already wasted so much to upgrade your current item. Another situation is that you don't feel like wasting upgrades on a "noob" item so you wait until super late game just to make use of the upgrade system... which I don't find exciting. In Ascalon when you sold your upgraded item you got the upgrade items back which would allow you to upgrade the new item you found. This way you can constantly upgrade your equipment without worry and it just feels like a more effective system. It would be nice to see an upgrade system with the same idea.

Try to make mining more exciting and possibly limited. Add in rare items you can get or even a chance for a unique monster to spawn. What I mean by limited is to make it so players can only mine a certain amount each day to prevent people from botting and so that people aren't able to mine for 1-2 days straight to achieve the highest level mining and then make the best weapon or whatever. If it's limited then it's something players can do each day, they won't get bored of it, and this way they will slowly build up their goal. I usually don't like the idea of "limiting" players but in this case it could work.
Our mining system is based on a Tier system.
When you mine a rock, it will have a chance to "shatter" into a lesser tier, and then will then slowly regrow back into a larger tier.
So if you break a tier 12 rock, it will shatter to tier 11, then 10, then 9.. down 0 (un-minable), and will regrow back up to Tier 12, if given enough time. (assuming nobody mines the rock mid-way through the growth stages, otherwise it will start growing all over again.)
The tiers of available rocks will likely have static positions, however will have randomised tiers upon each 24 hour start-up cycle.
Of course there is common, semi-rare, rare, extremely rare loot available from mining.
There is no "mining levels" any longer, in order to keep with the rest of our available systems of leveling up.
If we do add mining levels, it will likely be a quest based perk to increase the chance of shattering them, thus making mining easier.
Also, as with the "tree slaughtering simulator" aka: Tree Cutting, there will be rare special events, such as spawning monsters, extra items, et cetera.
(This entire system is currently being reworked into the above parameters, so if you have any direct suggestions for improvement, beyond what we currently have planned, that'd be amazing. :p (rare events included. ;)))

It would be cool to see each of the runes changed around and edited to fit the server. Typically most servers edit a healing rune, mana rune, and a SD rune, but no one ever bothers to change the other runes. I know in the previous version there was a vocation I think Esper? and a part of it's kit was that it had a rune that would teleport the player. That was a really cool mechanic! It would be awesome to see all of the runes used to their potentials.
Upgrading the magic level stat using points in our stat system will allow anybody to use most runes in the game.
You will have to decide whether or not this perk is worth the stat points.
We currently have a few runes available (with many more idea's for further runes), and the "basic runes" I think are turning into weapons themselves.
So yeah, runes are definitely not based on the classic ones. They will all be very special, over time.

I can't stand all of these servers that have "outfit bonuses" but they go about it the wrong way. They give make it so each outfit has it's own bonus instead of a consecutive bonus for each full outfit you have. It forces the player to choose bonuses vs cosmetics... it should be the other way around so that how many outfits you have reflect the bonus you get. Is it hard to script? I wonder why no one does it this way (aside from balancing).
Having a full addon will provide bonuses to hp and mana.
I beleive we have it set to a 50% increase.
Addons are quite hard to obtain in our server, however they all give a static bonus for obtaining them.
Additionally, if you are a collector of addons, you will also receive additional rewards for each first and second addon you obtain.
(although we haven't fully decided on the rewards at this point in time, it is definitely on our list of to-do's.)

Tibia has so many keys that you can use... why not use as many keys as possible?! Make special hunting places/bosses/quests that require a key. Make some keys a rare drop from monsters to give players an incentive to hunt a variety of monsters rather than the ones that just give the best EXP and loot.
There will definitely be keys available.
I intend to make a "key dispenser npc". When you have collected a key through a quest, you will be able to obtain this key again, infinite times, for a small quest/mission.
Keys that are dropped by monsters will not be re-obtainable through this npc however.

Also note: Monsters in our server work differently.
Each monster in the game (excluding bosses, and including rabbits/deer, et cetera) give the same amount of experience per level.
For every level 1-1000, you will level at the same pace. (I can't remember if it's 200 mobs, or 100 mobs per level.. I think 100.)
However, after you kill X amount of a creature, you will "dominate" that creature/species, and will no longer receive experience from that mob.
In this way we force players to explore new parts of the map in order to gain additional levels.
(also note: grinding experience from mobs is not the only way to gain experience. Quests/missions/monster tasks/finding secrets/cooking/fishing/mining/farming.. anything and everything gives you experience and/or stat points.)
(leveling up only gives you additional stats points to distribute. You do not gain speed/attack power for levels.)

Put some books around the map in containers or bookshelves. Add secret riddles and quest throughout the messages in the books. Make some tough riddles for the RPG players out there.
With me at the helm, you can definitely count on secrets/puzzles/lore, galore. :D
NPC's also gossip. You can find hidden quests or clues to some secret area's through NPC text/gossip.

I always liked the idea of being able to use a pick on a specific tile which would then open up a secret hole. Perhaps add that in and then make it so NPCs and books contain information on where these secret holes are.
Any pick-holes or other secret passage options will always have a clue or way to find them without blinding picking tiles in dungeons/caves.
I don't believe in absolute secret area's. I always leave clues to any and all secrets, even if they are hard to find.

I enjoy when servers have a type of system where there is a rare chance for a powerful version of that monster to spawn which yields rares and more loot. I used to play the MMORPG Silkroad a while back and it had a pretty cool system that worked like this. Say you were hunting tigers.. there would be a chance for a champion tiger to spawn and then a smaller chance for a giant tiger to spawn.
Our monster spawn system includes this option.
When creatures spawn they have a 15% chance to turn into special mob. That special mob can have increased attack, new attack patterns, increased life/defence/resistances/immunities/increased loot, or elite's can spawn which have all of these attributes combined.
Elite's will either have a skull icon or a light aura to advise players of the difficulty.

Additionally, based on the number of players in your party, the mob spawn density will be effected.
Quick guideline to spawn density.

Code:
[player count] = max mob pack size
[1 - 2]        = 1
[3]            = 2
[4]            = 3
[5]            = 4
[6+]           = 5

In all of my years of playing OTs with an upgrade system I've never enjoyed one more than the one Ascalon had. The thing I don't like about upgrade systems is that you can spend so much time and resources to upgrade and item, and then an hour later you find a better item but you already wasted so much to upgrade your current item. Another situation is that you don't feel like wasting upgrades on a "noob" item so you wait until super late game just to make use of the upgrade system... which I don't find exciting. In Ascalon when you sold your upgraded item you got the upgrade items back which would allow you to upgrade the new item you found. This way you can constantly upgrade your equipment without worry and it just feels like a more effective system. It would be nice to see an upgrade system with the same idea.
We are currently still deciding what kind of upgrades will be available to players.
I'll add this to our pool of idea's, and see if we can add some sort compromise of the following.

Partial refund of upgrade items in exchange for entire item.
Return armor to un-upgraded state for some sort cost.
Something else?

I want to thank you for the feedback and suggestions :D

We really appreciate the time you took to respond.

Cheers,

Xikini

Last edited:

• In all of my years of playing OTs with an upgrade system I've never enjoyed one more than the one Ascalon had. The thing I don't like about upgrade systems is that you can spend so much time and resources to upgrade and item, and then an hour later you find a better item but you already wasted so much to upgrade your current item. Another situation is that you don't feel like wasting upgrades on a "noob" item so you wait until super late game just to make use of the upgrade system... which I don't find exciting. In Ascalon when you sold your upgraded item you got the upgrade items back which would allow you to upgrade the new item you found. This way you can constantly upgrade your equipment without worry and it just feels like a more effective system. It would be nice to see an upgrade system with the same idea.

Well what we got atm for an upgrading system is this pretty much.

- Weapons: this is hard to explain but lets try...
Example: For each weapon class one handed swords,axe,clubs,daggers,bows,wands,two handed weapons etc...
their are split off categories like...

One handed axe type 1 - Special Effect: 2-25% Chance to deal triple damage.

One handed axe type 2 - Special Effect: Large Sweep per swing hitting multiple targets and hitting higher average damage.

One handed axe type 3 - Special Effect: deal triple damage however receive 30% of damage dealt.

Here you can see unique effects of 3 types of one handed axes. their is 11 tiers of each kind.
the idea atm is that all monsters in the game only drops materials to upgrade weapons tiers. you buy tier 1, then you use monster materials and tier crystals to get tier 2-11 of the specific type of weapon.

because this would take a very long time to upgrade weapons to max. we had made it so when a player dies they only lose their backpack. not the items that are equipped. so that you will not lose your hard work.

ontop of these unique effects, you can enchant your weapons and armor with other stat effects like increased regeneration, max life, max mana and even walking speed.

-Armors:
these are very similar to weapons in terms of tier upgrades and enchanting, but their are 3 different types of armor that provide different side effects and have their own variations of armor and protections that you may jumble together for your own personal preferences.

Just figured I'd throw in some gif's of a few of our runes. :rolleyes:

6PtHghd.gif
5L2gh7U.gif
SqZeGrk.gif

I really like the gif with the fluid sources on the ground. No clue what purpose it'd fulfill though :D

I really like the gif with the fluid sources on the ground. No clue what purpose it'd fulfill though :D
One of the classes uses water-based attacks, which will cause these splashes on the ground.
The rune is an extra feature for that vocation to deal some extra damage.

Also can be used in other situations, like if a werewolf is blood hitting someone while following them, you'll find a large blood trail, that you can zap, and eventually hit the target at the end. :p
The damage of the zap is based on how fresh the fluid is (3 states of decay) and also on the skill of the user. (unsure which skill is being used yet though.)

A lot of the skills that we have implemented are not spam-tastic.
They all have fairly long to very long cooldowns, and you have to think about when you want to use them.

One of the classes uses water-based attacks, which will cause these splashes on the ground.
The rune is an extra feature for that vocation to deal some extra damage.

Also can be used in other situations, like if a werewolf is blood hitting someone while following them, you'll find a large blood trail, that you can zap, and eventually hit the target at the end. :p
The damage of the zap is based on how fresh the fluid is (3 states of decay) and also on the skill of the user. (unsure which skill is being used yet though.)

A lot of the skills that we have implemented are not spam-tastic.
They all have fairly long to very long cooldowns, and you have to think about when you want to use them.
oh, cool! :)

K so before i start i wanted to get peoples opinions on this combat system i want to implement, but i want to know if people will like it first.

K so this is how it will work.

First off all vocations will have 4 dodge spells that will scoot a player in desired direction for 3 squares instantly, (basically a dodge).

All Aoes, Beams, Waves, and even direct target shots are not only made in slow-ish multiple frames so you can see them coming, but also able to move out of the way before they hit you. making the dodge useful in combat against players and monsters.

Since even direct target shots are able to miss if dodged or move out of the way in time, no attack is guaranteed to hit. So each time you use your attacks and skills, you must time them well and be un-expected.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I was reading up and people seem to like tibia back in the old days when you had to aim runes and your vis attacks, instead of the new direct target guaranteed hits system. This new combat system is a combination of new and old, allowing a direct target shot system, but is also capable of missing if the target moves out of the way in time.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

In addition to the dodge system, spells are not designed as spammable damage dealers, but instead more based on the spells very powerful side effects, for example, Stuns, slows, DOT, Silences, maneuvers, etc... Spells have long cool downs and do deal damage in addition to their strong side effects, but you still have to hit your target to cause them. making all combat based on player skills and timing instead of button mashing and stats.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Please give me your opinions on this new combat idea.

I wait eagerly for your replies.

Thank you for reading.

K so before i start i wanted to get peoples opinions on this combat system i want to implement, but i want to know if people will like it first.

K so this is how it will work.

First off all vocations will have 4 dodge spells that will scoot a player in desired direction for 3 squares instantly, (basically a dodge).

All Aoes, Beams, Waves, and even direct target shots are not only made in slow-ish multiple frames so you can see them coming, but also able to move out of the way before they hit you. making the dodge useful in combat against players and monsters.

Since even direct target shots are able to miss if dodged or move out of the way in time, no attack is guaranteed to hit. So each time you use your attacks and skills, you must time them well and be un-expected.

I was reading up and people seem to like tibia back in the old days when you had to aim runes and your vis attacks, instead of the new direct target guaranteed hits system. This new combat system is a combination of new and old, allowing a direct target shot system, but is also capable of missing if the target moves out of the way in time.

In addition to the dodge system, spells are not designed as spammable damage dealers, but instead more based on the spells very powerful side effects, for example, Stuns, slows, DOT, Silences, maneuvers, etc... Spells have long cool downs and do deal damage in addition to their strong side effects, but you still have to hit your target to cause them. making all combat based on player skills and timing instead of button mashing and stats.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Please give me your opinions on this new combat idea.

I wait eagerly for your replies.

Thank you for reading.

Tbh, I think that system would make PVP a lot more interesting but in group PVP, it would be ridiculous because there would be spells going off everywhere and you would just be debuffed to hell every second which would make things confusing but also crazy and fun IMO. Also, another suggestion is that wave spells would do more damage than AOE based spells while beam spells does even more damage than both while single target being the lowest. I know the focus on spells are mainly debuffs but I expect the damage of spells to be significant and a few beam hits in PVP should make a difference because naturally, if you can walk what so ever you can usually dodge a beam. So the two options is that Beams are pretty fast and waves are moderetly fast while AOEs are slow OR beams have more damage than waves, waves have more damage than AOEs. PS. I am Xoex but this is my old account and I cant be bothered making a new one :p
Another PS. I played silkroad too :D i was a rogue/cleric c:

Last edited:
Tbh, I think that system would make PVP a lot more interesting but in group PVP, it would be ridiculous because there would be spells going off everywhere and you would just be debuffed to hell every second which would make things confusing but also crazy and fun IMO. Also, another suggestion is that wave spells would do more damage than AOE based spells while beam spells does even more damage than both while single target being the lowest. I know the focus on spells are mainly debuffs but I expect the damage of spells to be significant and a few beam hits in PVP should make a difference because naturally, if you can walk what so ever you can usually dodge a beam. So the two options is that Beams are pretty fast and waves are moderetly fast while AOEs are slow OR beams have more damage than waves, waves have more damage than AOEs. PS. I am Xoex but this is my old account and I cant be bothered making a new one :p
Another PS. I played silkroad too :D i was a rogue/cleric c:

I agree, and thank you for the feed back.
Naturally the Larger the spell/Aoe, the lower its damage will be over all.
Smaller spells will hit more damage and the side effects more severe.

How exactly would the dodging system work? You said if they move away "in time" but how long is that time period? If you're trying to kill a player who is constantly moving then you'll never hit them? Same thing applies to a monster, how are you supposed to kite it if it's constantly moving?? I think I would have to see how it works in-game to give some feasible feedback.

You said "Spells have long cooldowns" does this apply to all spells? I don't want to sit there using 1 spell every 30 seconds because that will be boring. I don't mind spells having a decent cooldown as long as you can still cycle through spells.
I like the idea of having to aim your spells and being more strategic about it.

I don't like the idea of everyone having 4 dodge spells. It makes it less unique and clogs up your hotkeys. I would much rather each vocation had 1-2 of their own unique dodge spells. Like the Esper being able to use the rune to teleport, or an assassins being able to go invisible. But I guess the whole point you put the dodge spells was so players could dodge other spells. Personally I think it would just be a big ol' mess. :(

How exactly would the dodging system work? You said if they move away "in time" but how long is that time period? If you're trying to kill a player who is constantly moving then you'll never hit them? Same thing applies to a monster, how are you supposed to kite it if it's constantly moving?? I think I would have to see how it works in-game to give some feasible feedback.

You said "Spells have long cooldowns" does this apply to all spells? I don't want to sit there using 1 spell every 30 seconds because that will be boring. I don't mind spells having a decent cooldown as long as you can still cycle through spells.

I don't like the idea of everyone having 4 dodge spells. It makes it less unique and clogs up your hotkeys. I would much rather each vocation had 1-2 of their own unique dodge spells. Like the Esper being able to use the rune to teleport, or an assassins being able to go invisible. But I guess the whole point you put the dodge spells was so players could dodge other spells. Personally I think it would just be a big ol' mess. :(
If you have a keyboard with a D-pad, you can hotkey your dodge spells to 4 8 6 and 2 which would go in a left up right down pattern and use those keys to dodge. Im guessing the spells would be like the hook rune if you played the older version of the game. Also, I believe most of the damage will be done by auto attacks which means it wont just be a hit or miss.... (jacob sartorious joke.. kill me) anyways. I dont think monsters will be sonic and I believe most single target spells should be able to hit them and most kiting based classes have a pinning shot or a slowing shot to start a decent combo.
Take all I said above with a grain of salt as I am only talking out of my "experience" with the OT and my knowledge of how Link and Xikini thinks

Sorry for 2nd reply but one topic i forgot to cover is the long spell cooldown. I dont really think its as bad as you think but you gotta keep in mind, with 5-30 second debuffs, if you spam silence or stun then it would be overpowered so expect decent cooldowns but nothing unreasonable

The spells multi frame dont go in slow motion, but they wont be instant ether, generally depending at the distance you are standing from the source will give you 0-1 sec to react. For example if they hit you with a wave only 1-2 squares away, the odds of you dodging out of the way in time are virtually impossible. but if your 3+ you may be able to escape the wave using a dodge spell.

Also as 121 said, i use the Custom OTclient, so you may set the hotkey for dodging as any key on the keyboard, D pad, or even asdw in order to dodge.

Running around as fast as you can could perhaps help you avoid a wave or beam, even the single target spells. but as i said, spells have side effects, some of which can causes magic walls, Slow areas and even traps that cause stuns. and running around frantically could make you a pretty easy target for planned out trap based spells.

as for the cool downs on spells, they will be long ish so that spells will not be the primary source of damage, or used to jumble a crap load of spells at once doing a 1 V 5 ganking. Spells are supposed to be used strategically, where as your choice in weaponry (which their is a HUGE verity of (just ask 121) is where your base damage will come from.

If you like i can show you the vast verity of weaponry you may choose from to show how you may customize your character for different combat styles.

A side note also, All equitable weapons cannot miss when attacking, only spells and runes, are capable of missing.

----Edit----

sorry forgot to mention, that all equitable weapons in titan kingdoms have unique side effects that can change the tide of a fight. a few examples of these side effects include:

Slows, Dot, Chain hits, Explosion aoes, Life steal, extreme damage at the cost of inflicting self damage, and even armor piercing.

in total their are 44 Classes of equitable weapons with unique side effects, 29 of which are duel weldable, allowing you to combined 2 different effects together, or doubling the power of the same effect type.

(little side edit, i'm heading to bed. but ingame i put alot of identification wands on the floor in the wiki, to access the wiki go strait south from the starting point when you first log in. Simply use the identification wand on Any item inside the wiki to see its advanced stats, the wand will show you all the stats and effects of the weapon you use it on, the display that comes up is movable so you may compare multiple weapons.)

Last edited:
If weaponry can never miss doesn't that mean ranged weapons such as bows/wands will be better than melee weapons in terms of kiting? I can already imagine ranged classes being able to kite melee classes easily.
Perhaps you could add in gap closers to help fix that?

I can also sense that it will be unbalanced like the other versions of the server. Just having so many custom vocations, items, and spells already makes it hard to balance.
If you plan to have "hybrid vocations" it will be even harder. I'm an enthusiast when it comes to custom content, but perhaps you're going about it the wrong way.

For me it seems like you have so many cool ideas and then you try to plop it all into the server which will result in a mess. I think it would have been smarter to start out small and periodically build up.
As much as I enjoy the series of servers you've had, I don't want this one to be like the other ones where there is that "one" op vocations with an op "combo" that trumps everything else.

If weaponry can never miss doesn't that mean ranged weapons such as bows/wands will be better than melee weapons in terms of kiting? I can already imagine ranged classes being able to kite melee classes easily.
Perhaps you could add in gap closers to help fix that?

I can also sense that it will be unbalanced like the other versions of the server. Just having so many custom vocations, items, and spells already makes it hard to balance.
If you plan to have "hybrid vocations" it will be even harder. I'm an enthusiast when it comes to custom content, but perhaps you're going about it the wrong way.

For me it seems like you have so many cool ideas and then you try to plop it all into the server which will result in a mess. I think it would have been smarter to start out small and periodically build up.
As much as I enjoy the series of servers you've had, I don't want this one to be like the other ones where there is that "one" op vocations with an op "combo" that trumps everything else.
To answer a few questions.... Ranged classes are able to kite but melee classes can catch up because they usually have one or two special tricks up their sleaves. such as reaper advanced dodge or berserker jagged stones or the guardian just hiding behind his wall. Also, this is not confirmed but I believe a remove speed debuff skill will be added to help melee characters get out of a sticky situation mid fight. Some vocations have a ability that only works with said vocation meaning if you are a berserker, you cant use a assassins invis to do 5x damage with the berserkers crazy damage meaning for the most part, hybrid vocations will be quite balanced. I do understand what you say in your latter point but there wont be naturally a superior vocation because all vocations will be tested and tweaked to make sure that what controls the tide of battle is quick thinking, preparation, gear, and skill. Ps. Idk why but I find it funny that link calls me 121 XD

If you're trying to kill a player who is constantly moving then you'll never hit them? Same thing applies to a monster, how are you supposed to kite it if it's constantly moving?? I think I would have to see how it works in-game to give some feasible feedback.
Assuming from werewolf text he uses 150-250 millisecond delays on moving waves.
if you are 4 tiles away you have ~1 sec to move out of it. In Whi World average character speed is 250 per tile. (don't know the speeds in TK)
Each tile has it own passing speed, lets assume mud tile has 250 passing speed. Then tiles you can pass per sec is 1.
Lets say wooden tile passing speed is twise as fast or little more. Which means you can reach to 2nd tile if not 3rd in the same second.
In other words if distance is kept at maximum and you keep running away or sidestep single lane beams, you will always dodge them.
So you need to get closer with your aoes and slow the enemy down or change the floor they on, to be able to hit.

Another factor to know. Even if you speed is nerfed to 50 or below and it takes you 2 sec to get from 1 tile to another. player INSTANTLY is registered to moved tile even when for 1 sec it looks like his still on the old one.
Yet knowing all this doesn't make aoes useless.
Whi World has had these aoes for over a year now. When players fight with monsters who have aoes, at first they will not even try to dodge aoe attacks, but eventually they find the pattern how they should constantly move to avoid the aoes instead of timing their moving. 1 boss has full screen aoe with few holes in it, where the damage is not done. Only 1 person has been able to somewhat cope with that, because in this fight the blind spots are created depending where you stand and when you constantly move you wont be able get to safe spot. Although that boss maybe is not good example as its not the only thing it does and players most likely run around in panic to try to kill it instead dodging the blast.

However in pvp aoes get a whole different meaning and it creates fun environment for both the attacker and escapee.
Mages have aoe which goes out like cone. The further it reaches the bigger it gets and then at some point closes up.
At start the escapee has to cut corners and keep hiding behind obstacles. (aoe doesn't go trough obstacles)
Then he needs to find good turn over to get in close range against attacker, because in close range its almost impossible to hit with aoe.
Meanwhile attacker has to make bigger circles trough obstacles to get enemy in aoe range and not let them get too close.
Whenever attacker gets caught, they now have to start hugging the walls and the pursuer must stay diagonally from mage.

In my server the mage spell is pretty much the only aoe done by player other ones come with item combos, but they mostly used in PVE
So that is much as I can give my view on it.

As I understand Titan Kingdoms has shitton of aoe spells for players to use, so definitely the pvp will look different, but as long as aoe has blind spots it will be interesting to fight against it.

If weaponry can never miss doesn't that mean ranged weapons such as bows/wands will be better than melee weapons in terms of kiting?
I assume by miss he meant "technically always hits", miss chance can still be coded in.
But isn't it obvious that you can kite with range and not with melee weapons?
kiting = act of keeping distance (or wut?)

Just having so many custom vocations, items, and spells already makes it hard to balance.
Not necessarily, in fact it makes it much easier to balance if done right.
The more stuff you have the more ways you have to nerf/buff them.
Sure there will be some ridicules combos what creator didn't think about it when they created an item or a spell. But when the op shit is discovered they can change the numbers or attach any other feature already created to game to balance it.

@Werewolf
Problems I used to have with aoes:
1. same target took damage twice from same aoe.
2. you were able to dodge aoe when walking towards it.
If you haven't checked for those yet, look and test these.

Back