• There is NO official Otland's Discord server and NO official Otland's server list. The Otland's Staff does not manage any Discord server or server list. Moderators or administrator of any Discord server or server lists have NO connection to the Otland's Staff. Do not get scammed!

Tibia's copyright...

Shockah

Reaction score
Me and my friend are working on a project and it is still very much in it's infant stage but what can be done to avoid all copyright laws?

Can the Tibia client be edited in such a way that we can use it without the risk of a law suit? If so would it just be easier anyway to get one made from scratch considering there's gunna be completly different features on the client anyway. Sprites are not an issue since they will all be custom but what about the server base, although TFS is made by the good people here at OTLand is it actually legal? Some of the basic features from it will be needed but would it just be best to also get this made from scratch?

Any info on this would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

Avoid using real map and Tibia's website layout.

Dont use tibia sprites, tibia client, tibia layout, also tibia monster names and you are free :)

You can use the sprites and monster names, if I'm not mistaken.

All these years that I've been involved in Open Tibia, I haven't heard of one case that CipSoft got involved and disputed an OTS. We can all speculate and speak nonsense and rumors, but in the end, there's nothing to say you're guaranteed troubles with CipSoft.

There is a first time for everything, though.

Last edited:
No you cant, thats why Beholder name was changed by cip, i think runescape issue them or something like that

the monster beholder change his name due to copyright problems.. I think

^up -> didn't readed you, sorry

Of course tibia will not issue you, but talking in legal terms they can

No you cant, thats why Beholder name was changed by cip, i think runescape issue them or something like that

Beholder was renamed because of a copyright for D&D.
That doesn't mean CipSoft copyrighted their monster names.

In fact, CipSoft didn't copyright ANY of their names.

How do you know that? Si if i change all sprites and make a new client im a fully Game -Server? and i can copyright all that stuff?

How do you know that? Si if i change all sprites and make a new client im a fully Game -Server? and i can copyright all that stuff?

If you pay and nothing that you're using is copyrighted, sure!.

Well, people cant copyright something based on tfs sources isnt it?, even if they are edited

Hello, thank you for the replies although I don't think you fully understood Shockah's post, we are building an Online Game not a "Newb Ot" this is a very professional project, we were just wondering if it would be possible to use the Tibia client as a base for our game, Is it worth editing the client so much, or would it be faster building it from scratch?, Is it possible to use the Tibia Client for my custom game?

None of tibia Graphics will be used they will be 100% my own graphics.

No you cant use Tibia client, thats is a mega super copyrighted stuff :D

No, you cant used it as you were the creator of this. Is just the same the only way to use it is altering it.....

I said you can use it, you can't alter it.
Meaning you can't change the IP connection and other things.
So, technically, you can't use it in OT.

But then again, as mentioned before, who cares? CipSoft is not gonna fly to your house, creep behind your desk and watch you play OT using their client.

"this is a very professional project" <--- He will not make an OT

Thanks everyone for the replies, It's not an OT I was just curiouse if it would be possible to edit their Tibia client in such a way that it would be useable but it looks like a new client will need to made from scratch.

Back