• There is NO official Otland's Discord server and NO official Otland's server list. The Otland's Staff does not manage any Discord server or server list. Moderators or administrator of any Discord server or server lists have NO connection to the Otland's Staff. Do not get scammed!

A few questions about mapping (starting)

Hypocryte

Reaction score
I have been playing for a while (10+ years) tibia and many other OTS, now i want try to make my own ots, but dont know exactly how to begin. I want to ask you which tibia engine would be best, ( i would like to make it on 10+, it has nice spr already) whitch map editor should i use, and basic knowledge about it, i want to practice mapping 1st, i want to know if the map i make on one engine or client whould be possible to transfer to other etc. If you know any guides answers my questions, please link it, there are many of them but couldnt find the basics.

Solution
TFS 1.2 (Version 10.98) is best imo.
Release The Forgotten Server 1.2 · otland/forgottenserver · GitHub

RME 3.3 is also best, it has some cool functionality.
Remere's Map Editor 3.3
MOD for it:
OpenTibia - [RME 3.3] RME Modification 3

And mainly just watch what people do in mapping showoff and get inspiration, and test things out for yourself.
Stay away from auto bordering tools and try your best to take the time needed to make it look really good.
And post your work, it may not be perfect at the beginning but it'll help to get some constructive feedback from the community.

Good luck!
TFS 1.2 (Version 10.98) is best imo.
Release The Forgotten Server 1.2 · otland/forgottenserver · GitHub

RME 3.3 is also best, it has some cool functionality.
Remere's Map Editor 3.3
MOD for it:
OpenTibia - [RME 3.3] RME Modification 3

And mainly just watch what people do in mapping showoff and get inspiration, and test things out for yourself.
Stay away from auto bordering tools and try your best to take the time needed to make it look really good.
And post your work, it may not be perfect at the beginning but it'll help to get some constructive feedback from the community.

Good luck!

Solution
Mapping takes a while. Don't go crazy on details since the beggining of a map because a map can face many changes until you are comfortable with the result.

The first thing you should do when mapping is to map a basic shape and plan where some of the important stuff should go (towns, biomes, different islands/continents..)

Its better to have smaller but well made maps rather than a big empty map. You have to find your own balance there. Usually adding secret places, unreachable rooms (but still visible to players) easter eggs, interconnect caves with long/hidden paths.... all of that will add a lot of fun/exploration to your server.

Back