• There is NO official Otland's Discord server and NO official Otland's server list. The Otland's Staff does not manage any Discord server or server list. Moderators or administrator of any Discord server or server lists have NO connection to the Otland's Staff. Do not get scammed!

~ALAGAESIA: Realm of the Dragons~

Try typing sentences with more than 5 words before I start stalking you and delete all your posts ;).
@up LOL.

I actually get more excited about this project (ohai, I'm Marco btw, co-founder xd) every day, and I hope it'll succeed (if it's up to me, and my time schedule agrees with me, it will!). And yes, july 2012 is a bit far away, but perfection needs time and it's a looot of work.

As much as I'd love to see a project like this succeed, I feel as if I should make a few suggestions and warnings for embarking on this project.

1. As much as people love to wander around aimlessly, Skyrim does have a fast travel system. What does this translate into OT? Teleports! You'll need these.

2. This map is going to be huge, expect this project to have many mappers come and go during it's development.

3. Find scripters now, because if you don't then development will inevitably be 3-4 months longer than it should be. Script while mappers map.

4. Make sure to advertise, because chances are if you don't this server wont last once it's completed.

5. Have fun! If you don't, in 2 months we'll have forgotten about this project.

That said I would love to help contribute in any way I can!

Sincerely,
Leftwing

That was about the best reply I could have asked! Thanks a ton, Leftwing, and I'm really happy you would like to help :) To do so, just continue what you just did, post awesome replies with great ideas! You could also add me on msn if you want, we can talk better there (No, I'm not trying to recruit you hahah).
To aim at your post now,

1: Yes, I know, fast traveling is in Skyrim which means Teleports in Tibia..but you have no idea how much I dislike Tps. They just aggravate me and totally make the server a lot easier and takes away the point of having a pretty large map. I mean, I do have the Carriages which does bring you to important places, and it isn't like the map is SUPER extremely huge (look at the mapping thread to get an idea), but I just don't know about adding teleports. Both me and my co-founder are really against it, but we are trying to think hard of alternate methods of 'fast travel,' especially since there are a lot of people that like it.

2: Yep, this we know and are prepared for. Honestly, not a bad thing so as long as I get the map done :)

3: We are searching for scripters. I got a super pro scripter friend who has retired, but I'm trying to see if I can convince him to at least help us out a little bit. Either way, that's why I got the recruitment thread up.

4: I will advertise as best I can, just not sure the ways I can aside from mapping showoff and other threads~ Maybe give me some ideas? Please and thank you.

5: Having fun with this project isn't something that 'has to be done' for us, it's already happening! I've been having so much fun even when it came to just figuring out the distance in tiles on the map editor from one city to another! I've been having a seriously great time working on this for the short amount of time since it started, and it definitely won't get any more boring.

Thanks a lot, Leftwing :) Really looking forward to hearing from you again!

Yes, finally some understands that teleports and so boring and ruin tibia. Yes I know there is a fast travel system on skyrim but that dosen't mean this project has to have it too. One of the funnest parts of tibia and skyrim is exploring, finding secrets etc.. I understand if you have a few teleports but not many, but if you decide to add teleports i'd say make it some like this. First of all you'll have the important teleport then as you explore new places you can now teleport to the places you've explored or something along those lines.

yeah kinda like cullis gates in fable

I'd like to chime in quickly as I agree with this idea, and I feel the same way about teleports to be honest. Teleports themselves aren't bad as some are necessary, however too many will ruin the experience. I would think that much like Skyrim in order to access a teleport you must find it by exploring at first and activating the portal. Of course not every area should have this feature and many places should be secretive for those who enjoy exploring :).

Aha, my idea was a success lol. Also I really like the book/reading system in skyrim which I recommend putting in your server. Last time I saw a server that had books in libraries was forever ago.

What could be in the books:
Information for a quest.
Helpful Hints.
Secrets.
Useless information.
Etc..

Aha, my idea was a success lol. Also I really like the book/reading system in skyrim which I recommend putting in your server. Last time I saw a server that had books in libraries was forever ago.

What could be in the books:
Information for a quest.
Helpful Hints.
Secrets.
Useless information.
Etc..

That's something I really miss about RPGs, not many take the time to use books and libraries effectively.

However if you make long chain quests with lot's of background information and lore's and such, please make sure the reward is actually worth it, I wouldn't like spending over an hour at level 40 doing a quest and the reward is a dwarven shield + 2k >_<

Then you don't like true RPGs, NubCake. =x
I think it would be really appreciated by many if there were really extremely long and not so easy quests for it would really require time and interest to complete them. Of course, the quest would have to be entertaining.

And yes, Prest, we'll be making sure to give good rewards for the quests according to their time and difficulty.

And to address the library idea/books/lore/etc, I was already planning to do things like that. Every city will have a small library, and there is one giant library planned on the map (the giant building in the middle of the long ass waterfall on the minimap). After all, I am a writer (hopefully soon published too), so I'm going to be putting some good time in all these kinda things. I'm just hoping enough people will enjoy it :)

When I'm doing quest I like to do all kinds of quests, mostly one's where you gotta think and use your brain. I seriously hate all those servers out there where all you do is go into a portal, kill a few monsters and then you're done.. for me is seems like its for retarded people that can't think. "Quests" are supposed to be journeys, where you do explore, kill monsters, ask a few NPC's for directions or help, not just walk into a portal press 1 button kill everything and then you're done.

1. The act or an instance of seeking or pursuing something; a search.
2. An expedition undertaken in medieval romance by a knight in order to perform a prescribed feat: the quest for the Holy Grail.
3. Archaic A jury of inquest.
v. quest·ed, quest·ing, quests
v.intr.
1. To go on a quest.
2. To search for game.
v.tr.
To search for; seek.
Source
I agree 100% with Zasranets, a QUEST is not meant for it to be like you walk in a TP, kill a few monsters and run to the reward room, you're supposed to search around, look for clues and hint, use your brain, basically everything that Zasranets said, I agree 100% to it.

If you have to go through a cave, defeat certain beasts, pull some levers and explore the whole dungeon in order to find all the levers and the reward room, that's a decent quest, if you have to teleport infront of a lever, 1000 monsters appear, you kill them all and get tp'd to a reward room, that's a fail.

Back