• There is NO official Otland's Discord server and NO official Otland's server list. The Otland's Staff does not manage any Discord server or server list. Moderators or administrator of any Discord server or server lists have NO connection to the Otland's Staff. Do not get scammed!

Alienware has arrived

XPRIMEX

Semi-Dead
Reaction score
my alienware (andromeda x51) just arrived :p waht u guys think of it :p

Don't take this too personally, but I think you're an idiot for buying Alienware.

fEt4w.jpg
inb4 the alienware worshipers comes and shower us in their tears.

well its your opinion, i think its a great computer and it fits my needs :p

Read diaths post, then feel bad for being bad.

[memarrows]inb4 that is still only your opinions. again.[/memearrows]

what are your intentions on using this fine piece of hardware for, sir?

>Alienware
You do realize you could've bought the same exact hardware at 1/3 price and given the rest of the money to starving children? Or even buy a giant-ass monitor to support the computer. Or just a piece of shit from a hobo you found on the street, because that's pretty much what you just did.

Edit: There seems to be a lot of hating. If you're happy with your purchase, so be it. But this is just my personal opinion!

Last edited:
Coming from someone who spent 4 weeks and did countless returns to get a setup that worked together and STILL had trouble with my computer properly recognizing my RAM at random, I see nothing wrong with Alienware. I still have an Alienware laptop from almost 6yrs ago that I play games on and can run 4-5 tibia clients at the same time with minimal problem. Been through 3 800$ laptops that didn't hold up as well in that time though. For the less tech saavy and/or someone who just wants a build that will be stable I definitely don't hate on Alienware (expensive, but are solid). At least you know when you are buying from Alienware you have someone to cry to and can try to figure out what the hell went wrong (as opposed to staring at your broken custom computer and wanting to shoot yourself in the head).

Coming from someone who spent 4 weeks and did countless returns to get a setup that worked together and STILL had trouble with my computer properly recognizing my RAM at random, I see nothing wrong with Alienware. I still have an Alienware laptop from almost 6yrs ago that I play games on and can run 4-5 tibia clients at the same time with minimal problem. Been through 3 800$ laptops that didn't hold up as well in that time though. For the less tech saavy and/or someone who just wants a build that will be stable I definitely don't hate on Alienware (expensive, but are solid). At least you know when you are buying from Alienware you have someone to cry to and can try to figure out what the hell went wrong (as opposed to staring at your broken custom computer and wanting to shoot yourself in the head).

That post just blew my mind..

It would actually be easier fixing a custom built computer than an alienware. And here's a hint for everyone who can't find parts that aren't compatible with other parts: Look them up before you buy them.

I recently purchased an Alienware laptop. Was able to bargain over the phone, so it wasn't too overpriced. It satisfies my needs and wants for now. I'm pretty happy with it. It has always been one of those things I've wanted, but never desperately needed.

Have fun, OP. ^_^

LoL gratz you just spend all you shitty money on a shitty alienware wow that's nice you know what you could buy for theese money FOOD! , Stuffs , clothes , and you could buy computer from Amazon/ebay its very cheap i bought mine alienware for 150 dollar at ebay btw the alienware suck but anyway i got it for cheap

Around the time I registered to OtLand (~4.5 years now I suppose) I was convinced I wanted a shiny alienware laptop. After discussing the idea with my brother he had no objections (knowing nothing about computers). He mentioned it to one of his friends who was a WoW addict and he immediately contacted me and expressively explained why I should spend a half an hour with him.
He showed me how to use Newegg to browse for my parts. I built a desktop computer for around the same price the alienware would have cost me. (This includes a 24" monitor, mouse, keyboard, headset) The difference is, I'm writing this post from my desktop, and it's still extremely viable and it's a wonderful computer. Meaning, it performs great and it's still insanely fast for anything I've ever needed it for. Looking back at that alienware's specs I would have needed a new computer two and a half years ago. Hell, I bought a laptop two years ago with *better* parts than that old Alienware (the laptop is an HP Pavillion~) and I stopped using it last year because it doesn't even come close to comparing to my desktop, still.

But to each his own, I suppose.
Also, hopefully someone enjoys a narrative today :p
Red

I don't disagree with anyone who says, "it is cheaper to do it yourself," because it is. But does being cheaper justify the means?

My laptop comes with a four year complete care warranty. If any hardware is faulty for any reason within these four years (unless done intentionally and I admitted it), or I spill water on my system, or even if I drop my computer, Alienware will send me replacement parts and send a technician out to install them - or replace the whole laptop itself with a NEW one. If this were to happen during the final years of my warranty, my current laptop's specifications would not be available anymore. Do you realize what this means? They would send me a laptop of greater or equal value to replace mine with the current hardware on the market. This means I potentially have the ability to get not only a replacement, but a brand new system at no cost to me. Is it worth it short term? Probably not. But does your system have any of these guarantees? No, I doubt it, not if you personally assembled it.

It goes both ways. I am worry free when it comes to faults or damages. But as Red stated above, my system will be outdated within two years unless I upgrade the components myself - which is possible with the laptop I purchased, I made sure of it before purchasing. It's actually quite easy to upgrade an Alienware M18x R2.

Happy new years, BTW! :D

Last edited:
The alien-ware is only good for the name. Just like the i-phone.
Nah, not only. It comes with decent hardware as well however it's highly overpriced.

Obviously when you have no idea what are you doing it's easier to buy a pre-built computer that's why you should read some guides and/or ask on topic specific forums before trying to avoid such issues.

I don't disagree with anyone who says, "it is cheaper to do it yourself," because it is. But does being cheaper justify the means?

My laptop comes with a four year complete care warranty. If any hardware is faulty for any reason within these four years (unless done intentionally and I admitted it), or I spill water on my system, or even if I drop my computer, Alienware will send me replacement parts and send a technician out to install them - or replace the whole laptop itself with a NEW one. If this were to happen during the final years of my warranty, my current laptop's specifications would not be available anymore. Do you realize what this means? They would send me a laptop of greater or equal value to replace mine with the current hardware on the market. This means I potentially have the ability to get not only a replacement, but a brand new system at no cost to me. Is it worth it short term? Probably not. But does your system have any of these guarantees? No, I doubt it, not if you personally assembled it.

It goes both ways. I am worry free when it comes to faults or damages. But as Red stated above, my system will be outdated within two years unless I upgrade the components myself - which is possible with the laptop I purchased, I made sure of it before purchasing. It's actually quite easy to upgrade an Alienware M18x R2.

Happy new years, BTW! :D

That warranty thing sounds really nice and interesting however I personally don't think I'd need one like that. With all the hardware I owned the only problems I had with were hard drives and considering the fact that the capacity increases drastically high overtime they were likely to get replaced anyway.
Regular warranties cover pretty much and are usually sufficient and long enough but that "brand new system at no cost" thing sounds really nice though I don't think it's viable to pay that extra because even if one of your components breaks (in a custom built computer) the extra money you paid for your setup will easily cover the damage (and you still would be probably left with some money in pocket).

That's just my personal thought though, good that you actually came up with a legit argument instead of just saying "bought it because it's fucking Alienware, bro!" :p

And happy new year too.

That warranty thing sounds really nice and interesting however I personally don't think I'd need one like that. With all the hardware I owned the only problems I had with were hard drives and considering the fact that the capacity increases drastically high overtime they were likely to get replaced anyway.
Regular warranties cover pretty much and are usually sufficient and long enough but that "brand new system at no cost" thing sounds really nice though I don't think it's viable to pay that extra because even if one of your components breaks (in a custom built computer) the extra money you paid for your setup will easily cover the damage (and you still would be probably left with some money in pocket).

That's just my personal thought though, good that you actually came up with a legit argument instead of just saying "bought it because it's fucking Alienware, bro!" :p

And happy new year too.

Thank you.

---

I just want to clear something up about Alienware and their prices... Since June 2012, I've been going over Alienware, reading reviews and speaking with dozens of current and previous owners. I became a member of a forum to speak with owners of this product during this time to learn everything I could before even considering purchasing this laptop. If it weren't for the people on the NBR Forum, I would have wasted about $1,000 - this is the "overpricing" that everyone speaks of and it can be eliminated! But because of them, I was able to save a lot of money. If you order from the website, directly from Alienware, and you do not call, nor do you speak with any representative of any kind, I guarantee you will spend at least $500 more than what you need to. In all honesty, now that I have experienced it, a simple phone call to someone will save you an additional 10% on top of the current price on the website, not including a 5% eGift card they send to you after the return period has passed. If you are one who purchases directly from the website, you have not only overpaid for your product, but you have missed out on great deals.

I may have still paid extra, but I did save a lot. I can easily justify this extra payment/money with the benefits of the warranty which comes with the laptop and the fact that I did not have to build it myself (labor).

Note: The amount of money you are able to save will differ depending on the product. Mine was (in retrospect) the most expensive build at the time for their laptop systems. Just thought that this information would help. The Alienware systems are not cheap, by any means. But if you put in the time and energy, you can get a great deal considering the amount of money you will be investing.

Edit: If anyone has questions about this laptop or Alienware and my experiences with them, feel free to send me a PM and I'll try to assist you.

Last edited:
That post just blew my mind..
It would actually be easier fixing a custom built computer than an alienware. And here's a hint for everyone who can't find parts that aren't compatible with other parts: Look them up before you buy them.
Obviously when you have no idea what are you doing it's easier to buy a pre-built computer that's why you should read some guides and/or ask on topic specific forums before trying to avoid such issues.

as mentioned by someone else, it actually would be easier to fix an alienware because the computers they ship you are what they specialize in and have done all their homework to ensure it works perfect from the minute you press the start button. their headache, not mine. :p

that said, i am glad you think that looking up (or even asking in forums) about the compatibility of two obscure parts and expecting it to be consistent/accurate in all sources/locations. asking a technician that works directly with nVidia if my PSU would be fine for my graphics card and he said "definitely" and i ended up waking up to the smell of smoke from my purdy graphics card (which apparently my distributor didn't classify as a justifiable reason for refund). i also happily admit that drivers just *work* on some operating systems, but on open source OS it isn't always so easy to find compatible drivers, which makes it literally impossible to ensure your drivers will work and that you will even have drivers that work at all. trust me, i have taken drivers directly from the official sources and still ended up with parts that didn't work (even though there were a plethora of "it works" replies). i also have searched and found that you have to downgrade for certain chipsets but can upgrade for older chipsets that are nearly identical. -- blah blah blah though, not going to spam up this thread anymore. to each their own, alienware is a bajillion dollars and no one should spend money on what they see fit. :rolleyes:

TL;DR: Custom is so easy, yes man. Alienware so dumb, boo you. You money no suppose spend on fancy things. I no buy name brand and I only eat organic. :eek:

Side note: I would still have suggested building your own custom computer just for the sheer fun of it. If you don't have the time or patience to deal with all the small things (not to mention having to worry about making sure you don't forget to download/update/install/flash anything), and you don't mind to spend a few extra dollars, then Alienware isn't nearly as terrible as everyone makes it out to be. I have dealt with other gaming/semi-custom companies because of my work and Alienware does provide quality support/service and the insides are the cleanest/best management of wires/cords of any I have dealt with (excluding Origin, but they are super expensive -- an INCREDIBLE company though). Could always be worse, at least he/she didn't buy one of those crappy ass Razor products. :D

as mentioned by someone else, it actually would be easier to fix an alienware because the computers they ship you are what they specialize in and have done all their homework to ensure it works perfect from the minute you press the start button. their headache, not mine. :p
Custom built computers work since the moment you press the start button too as long as you know what you are doing.

that said, i am glad you think that looking up (or even asking in forums) about the compatibility of two obscure parts and expecting it to be consistent/accurate in all sources/locations. asking a technician that works directly with nVidia if my PSU would be fine for my graphics card and he said "definitely" and i ended up waking up to the smell of smoke from my purdy graphics card (which apparently my distributor didn't classify as a justifiable reason for refund).
Once again the only reason why did it fail is just you picking on wrong parts and not educating yourself /enough/ in the topic and/or asking wrong people.

i also happily admit that drivers just *work* on some operating systems, but on open source OS it isn't always so easy to find compatible drivers, which makes it literally impossible to ensure your drivers will work and that you will even have drivers that work at all. trust me, i have taken drivers directly from the official sources and still ended up with parts that didn't work (even though there were a plethora of "it works" replies). i also have searched and found that you have to downgrade for certain chipsets but can upgrade for older chipsets that are nearly identical. -- blah blah blah though, not going to spam up this thread anymore. to each their own, alienware is a bajillion dollars and no one
should spend money on what they see fit. :rolleyes:

There are millions of people daily using Linux/BSD distributions on their desktop/laptop computers and they seem to work fine. I myself am Arch Linux user and with a small help of my friend I could get things to work with a matter of a few minutes when I had to get them to work for the first time. In case of AMD/ATI cards you can pick either open source, prioprietary or legacy drivers which work out of the box after installing them (not sure how about nVidia's cards however my new build will use one of their cards so I'll have a chance to find out). Linux has also support and drivers for the most usual hardware so unless you're picking some weird hardware you should be fine.

TL;DR: Custom is so easy, yes man. Alienware so dumb, boo you. You money no suppose spend on fancy things. I no buy name brand and I only eat organic. :eek:
Yes, custom is easy if you know who to take opinion from and read /decent/ guides before.
No, I never said Alienware is "dumb"/"crap", they're built with decent hardware and I never said that you aren't supposed to spend money on things you want. It's just they're highly overpriced and I see no point in paying the extra money and I am actually totally fine with arguments that people like J.Dre come up with but if your only reason is because "it just works"/"looks cool" then I really have a bad news for you.

Back