• There is NO official Otland's Discord server and NO official Otland's server list. The Otland's Staff does not manage any Discord server or server list. Moderators or administrator of any Discord server or server lists have NO connection to the Otland's Staff. Do not get scammed!

Any interest in a replacement monster pack?

STiX

Intermediate OT User
Reaction score
Crux of the changes will be centered around:
  • Changing loot tables to be more reflective of the actual monster
    • eg. Knights will either drop a 1-handed weapon with a chance of a shield dropping as well, or a two-handed weapon under all scenarios
    • Monsters without hands will no longer carry around gold coins and loose items
    • This will change the economy, remove some former chance based drops like the Bonelord Helmet for use instead in quests, crafting etc. and will help push players to skin and make use of monster corpses to obtain Bonelord Eyes, Wolf Paws etc.
  • Renaming some monsters to classic variants
  • Re-adjusting monster progression (not just slight balance tweaks)
    • eg. Dragons will now be close to as strong as Demon Bosses
  • Introducing new languages for certain races
    • eg. Draconic
      • Svanoa tiric coi waph?
  • Creating a new experience for players where they have to relearn existing monsters and new monsters
    • As opposed to a new world with new items and NPCs set at a new pace.... with the old, bland monsters you see on every server with a couple of custom high-level ones thrown in the mix
Here's a tiny sampling of the change-log from the pack I'm working on, just touching mostly upon loot table changes for now with reasons to back them up.
I don't run servers myself, so I'm just looking to gauge interest.

Version 0.1:

Package Changes:
Rat
  • Removed Gold Coin from loot
  • Changed Cheese loot chance to 12% from 39.41%
Beholder
  • Renamed from Elder Bonelord
  • Removed Spellbook from loot
  • Removed Steel Shield from loot
  • Removed Two Handed Sword from loot
  • Changed Sniper Arrow loot chance to 2% from 10%
  • Removed Strong Mana Potion
  • Removed Beholder Shield
  • Removed Beholder Helmet
  • Removed Small Flask of Eyedrops
  • Removed Elder Beholder Tentacle
  • Removed Giant Eye
Gauth
  • Renamed from Bonelord
  • Removed Longsword from loot
  • Removed Morning Star from loot
  • Removed Spellbook from loot
  • Removed Steel Shield from loot
  • Removed Two Handed Sword from loot
  • Removed Beholder Eye from loot
  • Removed Mana Potion from loot
  • Removed Terra Rod from loot
  • Removed Small Flask of Eyedrops from loot
  • Removed Beholder Shield from loot
Carrion Crawler
  • Renamed from Rotworm Queen
  • Removed Gland from loot
  • Changed Worm max loot to 16 and loot chance to 21%
Carrion Crawler
  • Renamed from Rotworm Queen
  • Removed Gland from loot
  • Removed Worm from loot
Logic:
Rat
  • Rats can't carry items
  • Rat carrying cheese it's it's mouth should be rarer, so this has been lowered - but not too much as to offset a low level player's sustain
Beholder
  • Restored to original, classic name
    • Sorry Wizards of the Coast!
  • Beholders have no hands
  • Arrows may be lodged into flesh
  • Giant Eye and Tentacle to be given to the player upon using a tool on the corpse in the future
Gauth
  • Proper name for a "lesser beholder"
  • Lesser Beholders have no hands
  • Changed inspect text to say "a lesser beholder" to ensure it's conveyed this monster is part of the same species
  • No arrows / bolts in flesh as they're much younger, thus less likely to have been engaged in any past battles
  • Beholder Eye and Tentacle to be given to the player upon using a tool on the corpse in the future
Carrion Crawler
  • Carrion Crawler does not have hands
  • Gland will be given to the player when using a tool on the corpse to cut it out of the Carrion Crawler
  • Less worms as the Carrion Crawler spends a lot of time breeding, not so much eating dirt in the late stages of it's life
  • Extra chance because why not
Carrion Crawler
  • Carrion Crawler does not have hands
  • Gland will be given to the player when using a tool on the corpse to cut it out of the Carrion Crawler
  • No worms, as few can be found in the desert sand
Future Improvements:
Rat
  • Add other food items to loot table, but lower chances for a collective chance across all food items being ~12%
Beholder
  • Add other arrows to loot table, but change chances across the arrows to a collective chance of all arrows to ~5%
  • Add a collective chance of dropping different bolts to the loot table to around 1.5% - 2.5% collective loot chance
Carrion Crawler
  • Add Small Stones and other earth items to loot table

EDIT 01:
Rough strength progression averaged between the classes:
  • Mouse, Rat
  • Wasp
  • Wolf
  • Goblin
  • Troll
  • Ghoul
  • Bandit, Amazon
  • Orc
  • Toads
  • Lizards
  • Barbarian
  • Dwarf, Elf
  • Ancient Scarab
  • Necromancer
  • Vampire
  • Draken
  • Minotaur
  • Giant Spider
  • Cyclops
  • Wyvern
  • Elementals
  • Beholder
  • Wrym
  • Behemoth
  • Hydra
  • Demon
  • Dragon

EDIT 02:
Monster progression to tie in approximately with expected player area progression:
  • Grassland Caves
  • Grasslands
  • Hills
  • Flatlands
  • Marshes
  • Jungle
  • Deep Underground
    • Dwarf Fortresses
  • Cold Areas
  • Targeted Structures
    • Necromancer Lairs
    • Abandoned Fortresses
    • etc.
  • Mountains
  • Mountain Caves
  • Underdark
  • Mountain Lairs
    • Dragon Lairs

Last edited:
A list with the removed items from monster loot tables would be quite useful and necessary

this is pretty coool man nice work

This is an excellent idea, but it may not work for the majority of OpenTibia, as the majority are just "real map, download & run" servers. This would be best suited for custom RPG servers. As you release this, I hope to see more custom projects as opposed to download & run crap filling the web.

Go for it! Keep up the good work. :cool:

Wow! I had the same idea some while ago and I wanted to do the same thing. Keep it up good job!

It's a really awesome idea and I've actually seen someone do something along these lines, but it wasn't quite the same.
Like you said, "Creating a new experience for players where they have to relearn existing monsters and new monsters".
This is one very important thing I look for in a server which is why I dislike real map and enjoy unique custom servers.

Good luck with future progress! Can't wait to see more. :)

Updated with my rough idea of mob strength progression.
I'm looking to make all dragons unique, named mobs with different spells and strengths as well.

This is an excellent idea, but it may not work for the majority of OpenTibia, as the majority are just "real map, download & run" servers. This would be best suited for custom RPG servers. As you release this, I hope to see more custom projects as opposed to download & run crap filling the web.

Go for it! Keep up the good work. :cool:
Have to learn some how?

Back