• There is NO official Otland's Discord server and NO official Otland's server list. The Otland's Staff does not manage any Discord server or server list. Moderators or administrator of any Discord server or server lists have NO connection to the Otland's Staff. Do not get scammed!

Anyone else sick of OTC clients?

The question is not well formulated, he never mentioned Cip Client at all but everyone else just assumed because the question is put in a weird way. From his previous explanation it should have been write as "Why OTAdmins are using download-and-go OTC instead of customizing it before launching?" To which the answer is quite simple: simplicity.

Most people are either not 100% familiar with OTC structure or don't have the manpower to work in both client and server. They focus on server (sometimes not even) and keep client standard.
some will say "simplicity" some will say "laziness" depends on where you stand
edit but not even bothering to change the .exe icon from OTC to something else is not simplicity its plain laziness

but from random player point of view when I see yet another OTC ots I'm half done before even reading the server info

Last edited:
UI code in otc isn't really user (dev) friendly so most people don't go further than getting a few modules from same devs.

Simply, because there is no better client out there if you want to develop fully custom UI and stuff. Cip client is limited I know no sane person that would stick with it for a custom ots. The top question is kinda confusing, if you mean why people arent developing their own clients (from scratch), then I don't think there is a need to clarify why, it's just too much work to do so. About the copying I'm not sure what you mean, but lots of server owners like to buy premade modules.

some will say "simplicity" some will say "laziness" depends on where you stand
edit but not even bothering to change the .exe icon from OTC to something else is not simplicity its plain laziness

but from random player point of view when I see yet another OTC ots I'm half done before even reading the server info
I understand what you're saying, but then I'd do a 2x2 grid to try and categorize because there's a lot of people that simply couldn't care less:
1699267931115.png
Anyone in the bottom left could be just downloading and not modifying anything in the OTC (wheter is mehah's or V8), and for different reasons. Many otadmins are not devs or tech savvies at all, they often run the first server they can with the barebone and the client they manage to connect and that's it.

Good question
Its not a bad client at all but OTC does not feel like a tibia client at some point +
Im not even joining servers which has OTC with 49 new buttons and 20 new systems
Playing ots nowdays feels like you playing xxl modal window simulator
Post automatically merged:

Yeah totally legal using OTC with TIBIA sprites :D
I absolutely agree that many projects tend to overcomplicate matters, making them less customer-friendly, and this impacts the reputation of OTC. It's true that a majority of developers struggle with game design, often resorting to adding new modules that necessitate a client redesign, resulting in mere temporary solutions like adding buttons. Unfortunately, these quick fixes often lead to poor game design. In my opinion, among the hundreds of projects, only a rare one or two showcase a decent client design that's genuinely customer friendly.

I absolutely agree that many projects tend to overcomplicate matters, making them less customer-friendly, and this impacts the reputation of OTC. It's true that a majority of developers struggle with game design, often resorting to adding new modules that necessitate a client redesign, resulting in mere temporary solutions like adding buttons. Unfortunately, these quick fixes often lead to poor game design. In my opinion, among the hundreds of projects, only a rare one or two showcase a decent client design that's genuinely customer friendly.
there seem to be only one button that matters for world owners - ITEM STORE

Both of you are correct, currently is been easier and easier to setup a server with 0 knowledge and hence why we see a lot of servers that are just from someone who followed a step-by-step to put in online.
They change exp, frags and store and that's pretty much it.

Now, because those servers are exact copies, the players usually don't want to be invested in the game and just do for the sake of dominating the server. They join, bot all boring parts, do basic payments to accelerate the grinding and then dominate at PVP, which is the only fun part for them.

Though this model can still be pretty rewarding compared the effort, such servers usually don't last long as they provide a quite similar experience than official Tibia, which has already incorporated a lot from OTs in the past years.
Today for you to stand out you need to rethink the game design, no one in their right minds want to grind endlessly in a game that has 0 user experience.

As a community, I'd say we don't have enough people/energy to give us the choice of not walking together towards this goal. Otherwise soon Official servers will be more and more like current OTs and no one will be interested in playing a dying OT at mid-long term.

My server is pretty much dead and no reset planned at all as I’m too busy irl. What I’m saying is, it depends how good the alternative client (OTC) is developed in order to hate it. I would bet that my client is one of the best otc out there. That’s why I’m saying: Play it and proof me wrong.
No offense at all, I obviously understood your intention :p

My server is pretty much dead and no reset planned at all as I’m too busy irl. What I’m saying is, it depends how good the alternative client (OTC) is developed in order to hate it. I would bet that my client is one of the best otc out there. That’s why I’m saying: Play it and proof me wrong.
Saying that your client is the best is like asking a baker to judge his own bread.

@ontopic:

Yeah, OTClient might have all those cool customization options and tricky-to-add features, but I still prefer the original client.

Why? Because the original client gives me that smooth, seamless gaming experience I'm looking for. Sure, having cool features is great, but if the basic movement in the game feels weird, it messes up the whole vibe for me.

I think that c++ is the bridge. You can have a client with customized UI, but it will still have the same features. Generally people at otland have to make a huge effort to understand c++ because they're not programmers.

Now that OTCv8 and OTC are open source there's the chance to stop using raw OTCv8 like you say @wronson, this wasn't avaible a year ago. But! A rushed work won't be worth, so I think that people needs time to get used to work with this sources, specially the non-programmers.

Both of you are correct, currently is been easier and easier to setup a server with 0 knowledge and hence why we see a lot of servers that are just from someone who followed a step-by-step to put in online.
They change exp, frags and store and that's pretty much it.

Now, because those servers are exact copies, the players usually don't want to be invested in the game and just do for the sake of dominating the server. They join, bot all boring parts, do basic payments to accelerate the grinding and then dominate at PVP, which is the only fun part for them.

Though this model can still be pretty rewarding compared the effort, such servers usually don't last long as they provide a quite similar experience than official Tibia, which has already incorporated a lot from OTs in the past years.
Today for you to stand out you need to rethink the game design, no one in their right minds want to grind endlessly in a game that has 0 user experience.

As a community, I'd say we don't have enough people/energy to give us the choice of not walking together towards this goal. Otherwise soon Official servers will be more and more like current OTs and no one will be interested in playing a dying OT at mid-long term.
I'd be interested to hear your perspective and how you perceive the impact of otservlist (or online lists in general), "bots", "runemakers", the online list, and the implications of PHP Socket Proxies (For some reason this conversation is ignored here on Otland haha).

I'd be interested to hear your perspective and how you perceive the impact of otservlist (or online lists in general), "bots", "runemakers", the online list, and the implications of PHP Socket Proxies (For some reason this conversation is ignored here on Otland haha).
This for sure is not an easy topic to discuss and I'd love to chat about it one day (outside otland preferably since they love to give me points for anything I say outside their beliefs).
My opinion on the matter is heavily biased towards what I've written in the past:

Botting:

Otlist/Spoof:

Community/OTs available:

In general, bots/runemakers are too "rewarding" for a server because of how lists ranks servers. It's all tied in the end.
People don't realize this community is quite small and even small decisions have a huge impact in how it evolves
(e.g: Staff decision to don't remove the subforum
Suggestion - Remove otservlist subforum (https://otland.net/threads/remove-otservlist-subforum.276321) )

The fact otservlist works how it works is what makes so punishing to invest in long-term projects or even custom content compared to any global that all investments are made into faking data. Xinn and other naives can believe what they want about otservlist being spoof-safe, I've helped at least 2-3 folks setup very high level spoofs with socket proxies and everything and I'm pretty sure one of them has sold this solutions to some servers top5 there. Do Xinn care enough? Not while it's borderline undetectable so it's not obvious for everyone (including himself).

This for sure is not an easy topic to discuss and I'd love to chat about it one day (outside otland preferably since they love to give me points for anything I say outside their beliefs).
My opinion on the matter is heavily biased towards what I've written in the past:

Botting:

Otlist/Spoof:

Community/OTs available:

In general, bots/runemakers are too "rewarding" for a server because of how lists ranks servers. It's all tied in the end.
People don't realize this community is quite small and even small decisions have a huge impact in how it evolves
(e.g: Staff decision to don't remove the subforum
Suggestion - Remove otservlist subforum (https://otland.net/threads/remove-otservlist-subforum.276321) )

The fact otservlist works how it works is what makes so punishing to invest in long-term projects or even custom content compared to any global that all investments are made into faking data. Xinn and other naives can believe what they want about otservlist being spoof-safe, I've helped at least 2-3 folks setup very high level spoofs with socket proxies and everything and I'm pretty sure one of them has sold this solutions to some servers top5 there. Do Xinn care enough? Not while it's borderline undetectable so it's not obvious for everyone (including himself).
Robert Redford Nod GIF

Back