• There is NO official Otland's Discord server and NO official Otland's server list. The Otland's Staff does not manage any Discord server or server list. Moderators or administrator of any Discord server or server lists have NO connection to the Otland's Staff. Do not get scammed!

Argardh mapping: The Worldforge, Castles and Landscapes

in the end it all comes down to your standard of "success" and your players' preferences, either way, keep working, keep improving.

I noticed you said earlier that you love the old school tibia style of maping, so i suggest you download the 8.60 rl map and take inspirations from it, like how cipsoft mapped and detailed grass plains, how they did mountains and caves, how they planned cities, how they placed monsters and created new zones, etc etc.

If you know that there is much more to learn, then we will all encourage you to keep working and practicing.
But if you are here to boost your ego and expect only positive comments and praise, then i am sorry to say that you are in the wrong place.

Boost my ego? .. Is it not obvious by now that I just map and do my thing without giving a f if peeps here "boost my ego" or not? :p I have a lot to learn, for sure. But I'm still not taking bullshit from other mappers just because I map with a different style ;) I am allergic against a ton of stuff other mappers use alot(like fat mountain-borders.. euw!) and got a lot of praise for, for example.. anyways, I map to try and make the background disappear instead of stealing your attention. It should be easy to see the tiles and where you can and can not go imo.

Yeah I have rl map.. have copied a few houses and some places I like(Mount Sternum for example).

Uploading 21 pics atm.. hopefully finished today :)

Thank god for those times that your ISP actually deliver what you're paying for!

World overview, a bit old(takes just a few min to make one but.. i'm lazy :) as you should know by now I map more than I show ;) )

PxXkD7X.jpg

Tristrum:

TTWnvLJ.png

The beach is a bit empty I see now..

2mQuMeu.png

Villas

sOWy0zb.png

Farms, Church, West Entrance
jSaaFGn.png

Outer

Blacksmith, bakery(for players), TristRUM Brewery(Where the infamous Tristrum come from).. and a treehouse(villa)

XvJNP0R.png

Inner

Depot, Tavern, shop, Apartments

D8o9Go5.png

East Entrance, Knights of Uman HQ, Villas

s4HBfko.png
AgJOmdE.png
wyFcJT7.png

Caves/Sewers of Tristrum
Q2pjJp5.png

ZgFulf8.png

Tm5if0U.png
ieQsBjn.png
PBVTDrH.png
zL8cl7g.png
gnCScPC.png
3tS4ULl.png
pVW6IMV.png

in the end it all comes down to your standard of "success" and your players' preferences, either way, keep working, keep improving.

I noticed you said earlier that you love the old school tibia style of maping, so i suggest you download the 8.60 rl map and take inspirations from it, like how cipsoft mapped and detailed grass plains, how they did mountains and caves, how they planned cities, how they placed monsters and created new zones, etc etc.

If you know that there is much more to learn, then we will all encourage you to keep working and practicing.
But if you are here to boost your ego and expect only positive comments and praise, then i am sorry to say that you are in the wrong place.

Btw, what I liked most about Tibias old type of maps is the in-game/close-ups.. very simple stuff. What I don't like is how they build their world.. islands islands islands. And mountains going from floor 7 to 0 in 1 tile. They had little to no thought about the landscape I think.. even though I must say their open fields on main continent is really lovely(very simple but beautiful).. I'm also a huge fan of big maps and little or no teleportation transports.. another thing I think destroyed Tibia. It was awesome that you had to travel 5-15 min to reach the edge of the world(and a lot of huntingplaces).. then boats came :'(

Last edited by a moderator:
are you really confused about underground buildings?
have you ever actually played an rpg before?

maxresdefault.jpg

...what does Borderlands 2 have to do with Tibia.

About the OP, there's definitely a lot of progress compared to the first pieces. I had checked this thread back before I wasn't even a member on OTland and read the replies, I'm actually pretty impressed you didn't let anybody let you down @Sinth. Sure, the first bits were quite uninspired, but now it's more apparent you've made a great progress. Grats and keep up the good work!

@Nekoyasha

Yeah well the flaming is my own fault.. I checked some other mapping threads and most start with 10-20 great pics and all I do is upload a 3-4 min work of an idea and my worldmap.. ofc i'll get flamed :p Also I did ofcourse always know I had a lot more to show then I did(i'm lazy and bad at uploading and showing, and I am also certain of my longterm commitment so I didn't rush to post new material..

And thank you :)

2 more of Tristrum and then some overviews of mostly unfinished work(ceasing the moment of good connection)

Just north of Tristrum

SqnZiJj.png

HRBNdha.png

Church of Light, Lake Aluinia, Frankia and about 1/3 of Reikland..

13jOG9P.png

Deadwoods and Reikland East

Oav9XF8.png

Dunmar left Halmstedt right

46OMCEO.png

Elders Rock, home of the druid

UhHB8AP.png

Warriors guild, Knights of Uman Temple, Inner-city Entrance.. etc

agiFE80.png

birdsview

OClHnlv.png

Yes, to the left is the boatbuilder from Venore.. couldn't leave that CIPsoft masterpiece out :)

Last edited:
i already see a lot of improvement and the overview looks interesting.

...what does Borderlands 2 have to do with Tibia.

About the OP, there's definitely a lot of progress compared to the first pieces. I had checked this thread back before I wasn't even a member on OTland and read the replies, I'm actually pretty impressed you didn't let anybody let you down @Sinth. Sure, the first bits were quite uninspired, but now it's more apparent you've made a great progress. Grats and keep up the good work!
it's an rpg my guy, thought that was kinda obvious

Take a left at the 3-way crossroad north of Laholmia(the ruins in Reikland) to get to Deadwoods Hydra-spawns..

8iKm6l6.png

iP6fEwT.png
DV1t9vh.png
Aj4Z9bk.png
soqOlzr.png
UMsnUud.png
iAPowb2.png
Z8F8qQy.png

Under Morgrims tower

ft5cdRP.png

Last edited:
I must admit that I am fairly impressed with your progress, the world overview looks AMAZING; sure there's stuff I would have done differenty (like the cobbled floor you used in the 3 way crossroad) but in general fits the theme, kudos!

Thanks mate

2qTSYDI.png
wWArFCw.png
E3SVSqd.png
FG9qtsj.png
Q1g5wUo.png

and 1 from PoH, and 1 from Argardh mountain..

HIpMxXx.png
WYnV0wN.png

haha.. I just flew over the map and saw this:

vadUSt3.png

You see how the colors of creatures match terrain? Looks to be exact same dullness of the color. Subconciously created or random? :p I think it's a bit of a re-occuring thing the whole map over.. ofcourse many stuff are built for it(swamps are green and swamp-trolls green aswell etc).

Hi.

You seem to have some knowledge in mapping house details as far as i have seen(if its not copy paste), but your line work is really bad. The houses are long and square. You say some of your pieces have a function, but doesnt matter if it has a function if it looks fucked up(sorry language), i would logout asap if i saw this when i logged in for the first time.

When you map, imagine yourself in the game. How would you like to see it yourself? What would be realistic in a fanasy world? How does these borders look like, are they sbit straight and square? Try experiment with the borders(RAW) a good way to learn bordering is by making a dirt road with grass surrounding it. Use the thick and the thin border.

In my opinion bordering are everything. If you learn bordering you have learned everything.

I remember my first time mapping, and i sucked hardcore and would autoborder everywhere, as soon as i started raw i learned so fast, and started to create quality pieces(imo).

yo

Line work? Not really sure what houses you mean look square... maybe Halmstedt-village? Only place I could agree the houses are rather shitty(not detailed up yet). Borders is a work in progress, I have 5 months left so, no rush :) I map after my mood so im going from being industrious to autistic back and forth 1-2 times a day so there's some stuff that's mapped without the autistic touch, but as said it's a work in progress(all areas, even the ones "finished" I will probably go over 10 times more).

Right now there's a handful of places not detailed but only mapped to get the bigger picture of things so no need to point it out if you would run into an area that's not detailed.

Enjoy:

Game-map as of 16-07-2016

Sz5yjMn.png

Notes: Islands are further out on real map but moved in to fit on this picture. Some areas are missing in the far east and northeast aswell.. They are about a half screen away so I doubt anyone will make it there anyway so who cares? :p

Siath-city as of 16-07-2016

fiximjO.png

Last edited:
Hey homebro, i've browsed your thread for a while now, and i like that you are full of content. But at the same time, you're not very accepting of criticism. (i was the same way when i first started mapping) (and i'm sure a lot of mappers here were too). You should take notice to what mappers like nikolai say, because those are the mappers who made the gameboard for us to play on, ya'know?

Heres my opinion from browsing through your latest work though~

The mini-map looks fucking awesome boi. Its just kind of a let down when you zoom in though. The first thing you are aware of is the amount of auto-bordering and use of the doodad palette. Start mapping as if those two sections of the map maker do not even exist. I KNOW IT'S HARD (because autoborder is just so fucking fast, and you can see your visions come to life in minutes) but your outcome will be soooooo much better and worth while when you use RAW. (and you wont have to deal with as much criticism, people tend to compliment more if the maps are made with sheer aggravation and millions of mouse clicks)

That mini-map though.... man. If you put as much creativity in the close-ups as you put into the landscaping of the mini-map, you'd be a force to be reckoned with here.

Thanks mate!

I'm not the greatest to take criticism perhaps but I feel it's still 50/50 about poor detailing vs personal preference. The borders of mountain(not mountain-tops) is IMO best when it's exactly 50% autobordering - with that I mean autobordered so there's almost always a stoneborder(so that you can not jump up/down) but never ever the thick/big one(im basically allergic to it.. maybe have 5-25 left on the entire map that could've had 5000 or so :p ). Maybe the map will suffer because other people like those edges or just dont dislike/care about them, but I simply cannot use them. My eyes get cancer from it, or at least that's the feeling I get :p

So those borders im pretty happy with, but I definately agree that mountain-tops and grass->roads and stuff like that should and will be given more time and work. I've rushed some stuff out(even stuff that's posted) to get the map "done" so that I can have an overview of what is and is not there. I think time-wise there's no stress though.

The names of these images explains a bit of my emotional disgust of these 3 different borders :p Basically the lower 1 is ok, but never ever 2 in a row or too many in line(if there are more than 2-3 i cover half with doodads). The top fat 2 are just disgustingly ugly IMO and I always take them away. They will be found in some mountainous areas but very rarely. My aim is mostly focused on not creating patterns.. even a dumb mind picks up patterns suuuuper-easy when using the Lower 1. And yes, I know.. the "cured cancer" also has patterns - BUT - it is patterns of simplicity/lack of detail not Pattern of details.. which makes the brain not record it at all, while if you use something detailed in Pattern your brain will register and see it right away. And in my case - when seeing it - get sad in my eye :'(

edit: and as previously stated, my aim is to map so that stuff like this disappears in the background while many mappers have a completely opposite aim.

6S08F74.png

0tOEdRD.png

The names of these images explains a bit of my emotional disgust of these 3 different borders :p Basically the lower 1 is ok, but never ever 2 in a row or too many in line(if there are more than 2-3 i cover half with doodads). The top fat 2 are just disgustingly ugly IMO and I always take them away. They will be found in some mountainous areas but very rarely. My aim is mostly focused on not creating patterns.. even a dumb mind picks up patterns suuuuper-easy when using the Lower 1. And yes, I know.. the "cured cancer" also has patterns - BUT - it is patterns of simplicity/lack of detail not Pattern of details.. which makes the brain not record it at all, while if you use something detailed in Pattern your brain will register and see it right away. And in my case - when seeing it - get sad in my eye :'(

edit: and as previously stated, my aim is to map so that stuff like this disappears in the background while many mappers have a completely opposite aim.

6S08F74.png

0tOEdRD.png

imo, u didnt cured the cancer, you made it worse, if you want to use that style, try to not make the shape straight downwards, try expand the mountain with some shapes <- ^ ( the lower part). And never use dwarf trees ;( They so uglay if it's in the wrong envirement. Keep it up!

I like the idea with the map looks, but it looks abit messy :p

Yeah well as said, different preferences.. I would guess most mappers disagree with my idea of what is cancer/cured cancer though, I will definately not argue that :p I think however that players, the majority, might agree with my style(at least we can be certain of the fact that they don't care as much about this as us who have looked on the same borders/items 1 million times and asked ourslef "Yay or nay?" ).. but if there is any truth to that we can only speculate - it's mostly mappers that share their opinions here and second comes Forum-posters.. which is but a tiny tiny tiny fraction of all players.

Bushes are beautiful!? :p

Edit: Nvm "bushes".. thought there were some bushes in the picture and that that's what you called dwarf-trees. Yes, agreed... Dwarf-trees are most often ugly. I think ive deleted almost all north of Siath though(along with most leaf-trees except birch ofcourse.. ). Perhaps I should delete all and just put back a handful?

Yeah well as said, different preferences.. I would guess most mappers disagree with my idea of what is cancer/cured cancer though, I will definately not argue that :p I think however that players, the majority, might agree with my style(at least we can be certain of the fact that they don't care as much about this as us who have looked on the same borders/items 1 million times and asked ourslef "Yay or nay?" ).. but if there is any truth to that we can only speculate - it's mostly mappers that share their opinions here and second comes Forum-posters.. which is but a tiny tiny tiny fraction of all players.

Bushes are beautiful!? :p

Edit: Nvm "bushes".. thought there were some bushes in the picture and that that's what you called dwarf-trees. Yes, agreed... Dwarf-trees are most often ugly. I think ive deleted almost all north of Siath though(along with most leaf-trees except birch ofcourse.. ). Perhaps I should delete all and just put back a handful?

I see what you mean, and im not commenting only as a mapper, but as a player aswell. But it's your map, and you choose to map as you like. As a mapper, im only giving out you advice. If you dont want to follow the, be my guess :) But when you are creating a new world, why dont you make it look great while your doing it? When you are done with the map, i promise, you will go back and change things to make it look better( i did it, even tho my map aint done :p ).

When placing tree's i recommand using more of the small trees/bushes, and place some of the bigger trees inbetween them. Using the thin grass tuffs also makes a big difference, depends on the style of course.

"When you are done with the map, i promise, you will go back and change things to make it look better"

Well ofcourse.. but this have been my plan the whole time. The map have been finished size-wise now for 1-3 month.. I'm still adding a few pieces extra here and there but other than that all im doing now is revamping already created areas. As said this has been my plan all along as ive wanted the entire map finished to the point that it's created and playable at a Beta that starts now the 24th. The areas that is not 100% finished(not really sure ho w many there are, but it's not that much compared to what is already done) I still have 5 months left to complete :)

62jfLA8.png

Q8ONEp5.png

zFPR2rW.png

YpUZro0.png

plDjClK.png

bhESoFv.png

mhuocIn.png

rNTCYT6.png

Not overly detailed, which gives a clean and PvP-friendly result.

New Map of Siath-City

LwTaUXi.png

First attempt at a beach/pirate-area.. thoughts?

Shzutvi.png

HKrc9Hg.png

awWOE4d.png

And the updated Westgaardhia. Finished touches not there yet, but it will look something like this:

vgJqqjt.png

7qGIsAr.png

R0mJpe6.png

gelPzjk.png

P5zNMPc.png

cl8hIXL.png

CD5qGlo.png

IWWchqE.png

I'll probably add more stone n marble-houses next to these last big stairs and on 1-2 other places were there is space for it.. next time around :)

Back