• There is NO official Otland's Discord server and NO official Otland's server list. The Otland's Staff does not manage any Discord server or server list. Moderators or administrator of any Discord server or server lists have NO connection to the Otland's Staff. Do not get scammed!

Ascalon - The revival

Sorry for the delay, seems like my words worth nothing :p
I hope that tommorow we will open the site and an advertise thread with
the date of the new begining.
Dont worry about the costs of the server, we have a budget that allows us to host
even if we dont make any money.
We want to have a long run with Ascalon so we will take a part of the donations
for the good of the server (new sprites, advertising etc..).

Sorry for the delay, seems like my words worth nothing :p
I hope that tommorow we will open the site and an advertise thread with
the date of the new begining.
Dont worry about the costs of the server, we have a budget that allows us to host
even if we dont make any money.
We want to have a long run with Ascalon so we will take a part of the donations
for the good of the server (new sprites, advertising etc..).
I really hope the server goes online cause its actually one of the ot's i can sit on my ass playing for 12 hours a day and not get tired

You guys don't seem to get it. 500 or even 1000 euro is nothing in long term.

Let me quickly explain it to you.
There was 2 items in the shop that was basicly a must buy. (Staff and rune).

Lets say 3 days countdown gets 200 players. That makes 3x90 euro which = 270 euro. And this MUST be paid beforehand. You risk not even getting any players. Which is unlikely but still a risk.

For a long term server with ddos protection etc. Its probably more beneficial to buy a couple of months of dedicated server at once. (You save money this way).

60 euro every month 3 months is 180 euro so lets give the discount now. 150 euro with discount.

270 euro + 150 euro = 420 euro (lol that number xD)

The server will be up for atleast 3 months now guaranteed.
By this time the server WILL lose alot of players, either cause they got bored or another reason.

Anyway the server has a superb owner and he doesn't take anything from donations for himself so he has to do his rl job for real life expenses. Meaning he has less time to actually update the server.

Judging from this thread Gaal and Fare are the only ones working on the server. If they both work on contet 2-3 hours a day Which is the time they have left after real life ( 8 hours sleep 8 hours job. Dinner, toilet breaks etc and probably hanging out with friends or family) meaning this is just a hobby.

If Gaal doesn't take anything from the 1k euro in donation the server can be up atleast for a year. Now why did I say "the server will only be up for 4-6 months"? Because its unlikely that content will be developed faster than players clear it with just 2 developers.
Gaal needs to log in atleast 1 hour a day to just check whats up in game too. And atleast 1 hour reading thro forum, bug report logs etc, while also working on the server

Btw all of theese is before chargebacks. I didn't even consider chargebacks in example given above. Just think of all theese in Gaal/Fare's shoes

Oh I also left out the crying about unbalance and toxic life ingame because its usually tutors and gm's handling that.

I can write alot more about these thing but I am busy with rl job. Anyway I hope Gaal can prove me wrong and the server stays healthy with a lot of players and longevity of server.

Edit: I forgot to mention that nobody will donate more unless there is something more in the shop. So he has a budget of 1k euro witht thoose 2 items

Edit2: oh right you said lava titan has 200 players after a week of advertising. Thats sure going to cost a lot.

Btw in my post it was a dream scenario where he didn't even withdraw the donation money for paying back himself for his investment. Its 420 from his own pocket.
dude. DarkOT ran for 6 months.
most players on : 10

it restarted, made otservlist advert and now it had 700 people online. stop talking shit because you're already full of it.

dude. DarkOT ran for 6 months.
most players on : 10

it restarted, made otservlist advert and now it had 700 people online. stop talking shit because you're already full of it.
plz come back exactly in month and say how many online then.

plz come back exactly in month and say how many online then.
so fucking what? he made arround 3000 in the first week with the server. if you argue about money then just take it the way it is. its worth it.

come back when ur server is done. /out

so fucking what? he made arround 3000 in the first week with the server. if you argue about money then just take it the way it is. its worth it.

come back when ur server is done. /out
Chill. I was just saying that, I would forget to keep track of that xD No need to put so huge pressure on me.
If next month the playercount is around 300 then it means its very good server in my book (considering over half of it are botters)

If you find it to be negative, thats just the way you comprehend it. The biggest problem Fare faced with ascalon was actually financially. Next was his lack of time to develop because it was just a hobby.
From observing this thread for a couple of days I can tell how long it will last.

You stated that there are plenty of ways to keep a server alive, and you only mentioned 1 which is something that already existed in the shop since almost day 1.
Someone should definetly redirect you to a hosting company and show you the prices of a nice dedicated server. If you want the server to stay online forever it needs to reach "instert monthly fee of dedicated server" every month.

If you want updateds more often, the developer needs to take time off from his real job. Meaning he is losing potential cash for no real reason. If the server pays back for the time invested its all good.

Now back to ascalon. Nobody fucking donates. This is the issue. Not "ohh the shop is good it can survive" it can't because nobody donates to look pretty ingame.
^ this right here is your reality check.

Look at any server that has survived for ages. Actually look at spider... That server has been around since even before ascalon was made. The shop is full of p2w shit and it has been around for years.

All players expect developers to develope the server full time, yet get outraged if that owner tries to make a (Minimum wage) from the server he works full time on. A big reason why all good developers move on from Otland

Inc non-developers hate from this comment.

can u shut up about money already? gaal already said even if they get ZERO money out of donations, they will still host it.
he's not money whore like someone else that launched a shitty serv that got cancelled after a month

can u shut up about money already? gaal already said even if they get ZERO money out of donations, they will still host it.
he's not money whore like someone else that launched a shitty serv that got cancelled after a month
Actually something I fully agree with you on for once. Im sure @Gaal will pay for the host from his own pocket if he doesn't get enough donations which is really amazing of him

All players expect developers to develope the server full time, yet get outraged if that owner tries to make a (Minimum wage) from the server he works full time on. A big reason why all good developers move on from Otland

Inc non-developers hate from this comment.

All the rage I see is when you go about making money the wrong way, both from developers and players to other developers.

Sell the best stuff in the game? Not cool
Sell stuff that can be replaced in a decent amount of time? Fine

Give away levels for money? Not cool
Give away EXP boosts that have to be used and grinded out? Fine

Not to mention that it seems lame as fuck from a content standpoint if the developer cannot think of or add new content that is better than donors.

Ok, This is being delayed for too long and I'm sorry for that.
The site will be open soon along with the advertise thread.
3 days after that, the server will start.
:rolleyes:
*Crossing fingers*
Seems like there is no set date, but I hope server will start on a Friday or Saturday and not in the middle of the week...

Ok, This is being delayed for too long and I'm sorry for that.
The site will be open soon along with the advertise thread.
3 days after that, the server will start.
:rolleyes:
*Crossing fingers*
Sooo what about this site? When u posted this Wednesday I figured Thursday it would be up then server launched over weekend? You really going to launch it during the week?

Back