• There is NO official Otland's Discord server and NO official Otland's server list. The Otland's Staff does not manage any Discord server or server list. Moderators or administrator of any Discord server or server lists have NO connection to the Otland's Staff. Do not get scammed!

Bad lag then kick

D_Evans89

Reaction score
My friend is testing my server and he says he keeps lagging real bad then gets kicked. What are the possible reasons for this? I'm not lagging at all when I play on my end, which makes me think it's a ip connection. problem

you never lag when the server is placed on your own network, have you checked your internet speed? it might be bad thats why your friend is lagging. Could also be that he lives far away and the connection towards your network is really slow

We live an hour away. It's not that

you never lag when the server is placed on your own network, have you checked your internet speed? it might be bad thats why your friend is lagging. Could also be that he lives far away and the connection towards your network is really slow

i never checked my speed before, its embarrassing. 15 Mbps/416 Kbps

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm gonna have to upgrade my internet speed with my provider. The best package they have is 120 Mbps download / 10 Mbps upload. Think that will be fast enough to host?

I f

I feel like 10Mbps upload should be able to host more than 10-20 players lol.

With 10Mbit upload you should easily be able to host 300+ players online. Couple years ago I calculated the traffic to roughly 175 players online = 1 Mbps continous upload bandwidth. But the latest clients may be a bit more demanding today, and you will be prone to lag spikes when people visit the webpage and download images.

With 10Mbit upload you should easily be able to host 300+ players online. Couple years ago I calculated the traffic to roughly 175 players online = 1 Mbps continous upload bandwidth. But the latest clients may be a bit more demanding today, and you will be prone to lag spikes when people visit the webpage and download images.

So My current upload is 416 Kbps. Is that the reason my friend keeps getting lag kicked? Going by ur calculations I should b able to host atleast 50 online players

So My current upload is 416 Kbps. Is that the reason my friend keeps getting lag kicked? Going by ur calculations I should b able to host atleast 50 online players
Remember if you use your network for other things, the 416 Kbps will be used for that aswell, which will make it lower.

Well my internet package comes with 16Mbps download/2Mbps upload. My wife is connected to the wifi with her cell phone and iPad. Plus she was on my Xbox watching Netflix. That's why it was 416Kbps.

Well my internet package comes with 16Mbps download/2Mbps upload. My wife is connected to the wifi with her cell phone and iPad. Plus she was on my Xbox watching Netflix. That's why it was 416Kbps.
Its a bit more complicated than that, you may have 0.4Mbps upload at that time, but that is scattered across 1 second. (1000 ms), between 1.6Mbps of other connections at varying degree. Take some overhead into account and it won't run smoothly when 80% of the connection is blocked by other packets.

Netflix and youtube can buffer at intervals and throttle your connection. When you visit a webpage, that image will be downloaded as fast as the server can send, and you can download. These things may lead to spikes and queued connections on your game server.

Upping your upload speed will help against this.

In regular consumer scenario, download speed is mostly being tapped. So a 120Mbps line will heavily prevent these things. Most servers cap user connections to 10 - 100Mbps, so even in big buffer scenarios you will have 20Mbps remaining.

A lower upload speed can also be unstable in general, 0.4Mbps looks like a standardised minimum ADSL configuration. An internet connection usually varies by a few Mbps, which can be critical when you have no upload speed.

By increasing upload speed to 10Mbps, you can depend on always having 5Mbps+ to use with greater reliability.

Although, personally I would rather invest in a proper host than an internet upgrade.

...That being said, my current home network is at 300/300Mbps. And I am not hosting anything at home.

Last edited:
ok I get what your saying, my only options for upgrades from my provider is 60Mbps/6Mbps or 120Mbps/10Mbps obviously id rather go with the cheaper option if possible without compromising gameplay.

ok I get what your saying, my only options for upgrades from my provider is 60Mbps/6Mbps or 120Mbps/10Mbps obviously id rather go with the cheaper option if possible without compromising gameplay.

How much more would that cost you? Getting a proper server host these days is very cheap. And would run much more reliable than your home network.

It is possible to squeeze a rlmap into a 4GB kimsufi SSD 2 VPS. This will cost you $7.5 / month and give you a 100Mbps connection.
If you wanna be safe/anticipate many players and a crowded DB, you can throw in an extra $6.3 and get 8GB RAM. Running a total at $14~ /month.

here is my test server:
4GB RAM KVM VPS server
http://ortz.znote.eu/

Running lighttpd web server with php 7,
Znote AAC 1.5 website, MySQL 5.5
TFS 1.3_dev OT server, modified to test client 11.01
ORTS, a real map datapack with cipsoft map version 10.76

pfAvt0w.jpg

Running at 3.6GB RAM usage:
LPF1of.jpg

Back