• There is NO official Otland's Discord server and NO official Otland's server list. The Otland's Staff does not manage any Discord server or server list. Moderators or administrator of any Discord server or server lists have NO connection to the Otland's Staff. Do not get scammed!

Coding.

Demonkil

Beginner Mapper
Reaction score
I'm not sure if this is in the right sub-forum but nevermind.

Well i'm wanting to learn programming but not sure where to start i have never done anything like this before so was wondering if anyone has any suggestions (i.e start with C or go straight to C++, also if there is any decent Tuts)
Also is there anything i need before trying to learn coding, thanks all replys are welcome.

before trying C++ (especially with a project as huge as OTS, which I still sometimes don't understand lol) I suggest reading some released Lua codes on the forum

do -not- copy and paste, read each line of the code and it's quite simple how the code works, or there's a pretty useful tutorial here that will guide you through the basic lua functions:
http://otland.net/f481/tutorials-lua-creating-actions-movements-talkactions-10237/

Good luck and if you get stuck feel free to PM me :)

id say.. go straight to c++
c# is just faglett

There are some good pdf where u can learn c++ in a month.. the basics atleast.

And dont bother with lua.. this is fake-lua.. tibia-lua >.<

Depends on what you want to code. Even though there's pretty much no limit to things you can do in C(++) and C#, some things can be done in "lesser" (scripting) languages, too.

I'm not working on OT's yet i'm starting to code, so for like hello world and random other programs i will be working on

well if you mean by coding tibia -> lua, its quite different from c++, if you want to modify the sources it will require some knowledge, not so basic.

well start slow, don't try to get into sources so fast, you could but you wouldn't know what you are really doing, start doing some simple programs on c++ like a calculator, cin and cout, cicles, enums, structs, classes and you will get into a point where when you look at the sources you will kinda know whats there and what to edit, and from there you will know what to do in no time :)

Back