• There is NO official Otland's Discord server and NO official Otland's server list. The Otland's Staff does not manage any Discord server or server list. Moderators or administrator of any Discord server or server lists have NO connection to the Otland's Staff. Do not get scammed!

CTF Event for TFS 1.x?

Printer

if Printer then print("LUA") end
Senator
Premium User
Solutions
Reaction score
Hello,

i would like to discuss if you guys would like me to make CTF event for tfs 1.x

I will make it short as possible, easy to configure and optimized aswell.

Which features would you like too see in the event?

Cheers.

Never played it :(
What features does it currently have?

I have not made it yet.

But else it will be just basic ones. Two teams, capture the flag on the opposite team, scoreboard and etc ...

Sounds nice, I am sure many users would appreciate it and it would push more people to use tfs 1.~

Unrelated, but what kind of progress have you had with the "reward chest functionality"? https://github.com/otland/forgottenserver/issues/1162
I am curious to see how far have you gotten and how you have written it. (if you have)

I appreciate the fact that you're trying to bring more "playable" features to TFS 1.0/1.1.
But have you ever considered working on moving source-based concepts to Lua?

I'd link examples, but I'm certain that you're familiar with the recent commit I made regarding "drop loot" (thank you @Ninja for making a PR that got pulled so the idea was implemented <3) and @Ninja's more recent PR for moving soul regeneration to Lua.
As far as I know, the "skull system" as well as the "experience loss / blessing removal", as well as stamina regeneration aspect of gameplay can definitely be moved to Lua and contributing this code to TFS's codebase would affect more people than you (or I) would ever know.

Just a thought, because I can see you want to contribute to the community. I really hope you consider what I've mentioned. You'll have my full support and revision ideas if you ever decide to do so.

If you're dedicated to the CTF idea alone, my suggestions are as follows:

- A clear indicator that "this character is currently running the flag" (however you decide to implement this is up to you)
- Map randomization
- Increased damage taken by players in both "bases" (to raise the difficulty of base camping and put pressure on enemy teams attempting to capture the flag)
- Speed configuration (high rate servers suffer a bit from everyone being extremely fast)

Red

Last edited:
I appreciate the fact that you're trying to bring more "playable" features to TFS 1.0/1.1.
But have you ever considered working on moving source-based concepts to Lua?

I'd link examples, but I'm certain that you're familiar with the recent commit I made regarding "drop loot" (thank you @Ninja for making a PR that got pulled so the idea was implemented <3) and @Ninja's more recent PR for moving soul regeneration to Lua.
As far as I know, the "skull system" as well as the "experience loss / blessing removal", as well as stamina regeneration aspect of gameplay can definitely be moved to Lua and contributing this code to TFS's codebase would affect more people than you (or I) would ever know.

Just a thought, because I can see you want to contribute to the community. I really hope you consider what I've mentioned. You'll have my full support and revision ideas if you ever decide to do so.

If you're dedicated to the CTF idea alone, my suggestions are as follows:

- A clear indicator that "this character is currently running the flag" (however you decide to implement this is up to you)
- Map randomization
- Increased damage taken by players in both "bases" (to raise the difficulty of base camping and put pressure on enemy teams attempting to capture the flag)
- Speed configuration (high rate servers suffer a bit from everyone being extremely fast)

Red

Printer, dude... Real talk... He just said some utterly brilliant real shit... Seriously, you are talented, and thriving off of helping this community. You have the ability and the drive both, and he is right by doing that you would affect more people than anyone can foresee.

At topic, I think red covered that pretty well too. Especially if you make the map randomization with it. That would be obscenely useful, and undoubtedly used by many! The only thing I would add to it, is that if you make the increased damage it should be configurable as well as the speed, because both can be dramatically different based on the server.

Special thanks to you for all the work you have done towards making stuff for the community.

Agreed with red, I started using TFS 1.1 a couple of weeks ago and the only way to lower deathloss was with the source and there's more things like that, some things which was very configurable in older TFS versions aren't configurable at all anymore.

What's so brillant about that? I did a lot of scripts for 1.0 months ago and nobody gave a shit.

Okay, here we go with config idea:
Code:
CTF_CONFIG = {
[1] = { -- allow multiple instances
max_players = 12,
round_time = 30 * 60 * 1000,
deathmatch = true, -- player will return to base if true and loses hp
realdeath = false, -- pvp arena mode if false, value ignored if above is true
flag1_uid = 4442,
flag2_uid = 4443,
flag1_effect = CONST_ME_MAGIC_GREEN,
flag2_effect = CONST_ME_MAGIC_RED,
team1_name = "green",
team2_name = "red",
team1_colors = {128, 64, 12, 9}, --  not actual color, just example
team2_colors = {72, 29, 11, 8}
}
}

If you want it generated, you may use stuff from my generator.

Every kind of Event is interesting!

Kind Regards,
Eldin.

What's so brillant about that? I did a lot of scripts for 1.0 months ago and nobody gave a shit.

Okay, here we go with config idea:
Code:
CTF_CONFIG = {
[1] = { -- allow multiple instances
max_players = 12,
round_time = 30 * 60 * 1000,
deathmatch = true, -- player will return to base if true and loses hp
realdeath = false, -- pvp arena mode if false, value ignored if above is true
flag1_uid = 4442,
flag2_uid = 4443,
flag1_effect = CONST_ME_MAGIC_GREEN,
flag2_effect = CONST_ME_MAGIC_RED,
team1_name = "green",
team2_name = "red",
team1_colors = {128, 64, 12, 9}, --  not actual color, just example
team2_colors = {72, 29, 11, 8}
}
}

If you want it generated, you may use stuff from my generator.

I really found your project useful, I took a lot of stuff from your server and i'm sure other people have done the same!

@zbizu
Sad to hear that, i did not know that you made one. I have now look into your datapack, it was nice to see and adapt some coding technics and etc... But the scripts you made them long time ago i guess. Since it's mixed with metatables and non meta. Also some of the codes could be optimized :p But in general i liked what i saw.

@Red
I have made actually many system for my pokemon server, such as passive system, nickname system and etc... But i don't feel too release them yet. About the things you metion about moving them too lua. It sounds great, i would like also move walkThrough aswell. But my github is weird, that's why i have not made any PR.

@Topic
Should i continue with the CTF event or make any other events? Any suggestions?

I didn't wrote ctf, I made a generator only. That config in my recent post is just an example of what features it would have.

Back