• There is NO official Otland's Discord server and NO official Otland's server list. The Otland's Staff does not manage any Discord server or server list. Moderators or administrator of any Discord server or server lists have NO connection to the Otland's Staff. Do not get scammed!

[France] Ascalon (8.7 Custom) - Coming soon

Status
Not open for further replies.
yeah, I'll admit I've played one or two but it's never any different I swear from like Hexera and Aurera, they are basically the exact same as each-other in every way shape and form and people seem to flock to it like it's a new fad, where as many of us OT players came to OT in the first place to do something different than what CipSoft provided, in a time where Unline and Goobers were thriving and other crazy projects that have since disappeared, now only the brave few try, and what I see in numbers on these cool projects is a disappointing turn out. 60~ people on average on these custom projects that dare try something different, I figured with the launch of the OtClient and the customization it provided would bring in a new era for the OT community, but yet time and time again all the people play these boring ass copy paste Cipsoft wannabe servers.

I don't really like Cipsoft Tibia, However I love OT's and they are a dying breed. The idea of donating for an advantage like on these copy paste servers and even on a few of the custom ones, I understand hosting a server can be costly and it inspires a staff to work harder, faster, better. But I disagree with people being able to have lots of money, Inheritance or a good job, and just opening up their wallet and becoming the best on that alone. I guess that is probably why many of those servers thrive because to keep up with the best you have to also open up your wallet just to even matter in the PvP. I feel like those servers aren't in the OT world for the desire to create something newer, better more exciting and more features than Cipsoft. I wish the OT community was as inspired as they used to be, but now it seems everyone is in it for the money. just my 2 cents.

So,what are you suggesting?

Make people pay 5$ a month straight? Wont work
make donation with no benefit ? Again,most of the people wont donate if no benefit

Lastly,people complain about donation on OT but,Has anyone care about how much hours these developers put in? I know OT owner thrue the years that have really put life aside just for their OT. Countless hours. Now its already a donation to us from them. All these hours spent. And then you say there should be none? I have donate on countless OT ,even some really low populate one where i want to reward the developer for the effort but,this is not common. Not many people want to reward their effort or actually care.

*comment dont apply to download and run server. Talking custom.

I've worked on many ots, never launched them never cared much to, I work on OT because I love it, I love the creativity and the brainstorms and ideas that flow with it, I don't demand nor care for payment for my work, the hours a developer puts in isn't relevant you do it because you like to not because it's a job. It's a damned hobby and it shouldn't be made commercial for money benefit, Donations can be to support a project and like ascalon and other good Customs for addons or mounts for minimal stuff, but also makes your character look and feel more powerful without any actual benefit and people will pay for that. Pay2Win servers are garbage through and through and if you think because you put some hours into it you deserve payment you are sorely mistaken, the whole "donate for a set" better than any other set ingame ruins every Custom OT period. fact of the matter is people only donate for the benefits, not to support servers. which is the opposite of how it should be. the servers are shit because they are treated as income not a hobby or a creative project to sink your mind and creativity in.

Not many people want to reward their effort or actually care.
Because we as a community have allowed it to come to this. This point where people EXPECT income and aren't willing to do the work unless it will pay off financially. I have donated to servers that are more pay2win, I have donated to servers where I received no benefit. It's just an OT, whether I benefit or not, there's no reason to pay for it, apart from the fact that the developer put time in. Should I be donating for the actual amount of time? Well, no. Nor would I expect anyone to do if I released a server.

Make people pay 5$ a month straight? Wont work
If you provide a server worth $5 a month, it could work. Will you have 2400 players online? Probably not. Will you have a community that values the server and is there to play and experience the game rather than just bot and farm? Probably. Would this work in our current situation? Probably not. As I said, we have allowed it to come to this point. We've supported download and run servers and copies of other servers and cheap, filler content (like last man standing, zombie events) for so long that it's become the norm, and no one is willing to pay for that (not saying some of those events are not fun, but if people had actual, real, unique content, they wouldn't need such events to keep people active - example: there are many servers with these features that I've been on, and there's MANY people who literally just sit AFK in the depot until it's event time. Real maps, custom maps, mixed maps.). Not only that, but because of donations being offered, it's become a race to make the most money by doing the least work. So it's easier than ever to make a server (children are doing it) and it's easier than ever to make money off said server. If you choose to spend all your time on an OT instead of working a real job, and are thus unable to support yourself without the OT, then your priorities are a little mixed up. With that in mind, if you're running a server with either the primary goal or expectation being that you will have an income from it, you're part of the problem.

That being said, I have to agree with @Synnical in that it should be a hobby. If you rely on open tibia to live your life, you will be very disappointed when for one reason or another you cannot continue it (legal issues with Cip, personal issues, diminished popularity of your server or open tibia/tibia as a whole). While it's nice to support a server on donations, you should be able to cover costs without them. Many VPS or dedi providers really aren't very expensive, and there are even some trustworthy members here that offer hosting and specialized support in open tibia, meaning you don't have to pay much AND you have the help you need when things go wrong. Apart from that, you aren't looking at many expenses unless your team demands cash (so many people would work for free on a great project, myself included, so probably shouldn't be necessary to spend much if anything on content).

Game development isn't that difficult if you take the time to learn what you're doing. Make your own game. Even if you offer it free and make money off advertising and extras like skins, or charge a small one-time sign-up or a subscription fee with a free demo period, you're able to make your own game, your own way. Find some interested people online, it's unlikely that you'd struggle to find people willing to work for free and split future revenue on a promising project. Again, I'm one of those people. There are free engines, free frameworks, free code, free art assets EVERYWHERE, have some fun with it.

Plus when a custom server gets attacked or people try to wreck it, they possibly lose all their work. A real map just relaunches with a different name and no one knows the difference. I know alot of cool custom projects that someone gets sour and spends their free time trying to ruin something someone else made. It's sad but that's a major reason people dont waste their time making a custom project, a real map is much easier to recover from when someone tries to fuck with you and ruin what you made. I know multiple people who quit making custom projects because of this and now run real maps.

I fail to see the lure or entertainment of the same server repeated. creativity in OT has drastically diminished since these fecal servers started succeeding

Wow, this turned into a nice discussion xD
I wont post a wall like you did though,
I'll just say something about ascalon team, we are doing this (ots) just as a hobby.
We are not here to make money, we got jobs that allow us to work on our hobby.

I agree with most of what @RazorBlade and @Synnical said,
Long live the hobby! :p

Is the server offline? I just made an account and can't log in...

The thing I think many of you fail to realize is that the community that made all these great old custom servers have grown up and moved on from tibia.... Like be honest most of the people making servers now are 16-18 years old and don't have the experience and dedication that the old server makers had. I know there is more than just one, but one of the main people I think puts in the work and creates things people kind of want to see is @Xagul . Of course there is the whole Necronia crew and also the things @Flatlander works on within the OTClient or whatever, but I don't think things will ever be how they used to be with how big actual CUSTOM servers actually were. Just my opinion

~Edit~ also I'm happy to see @Gaal working on keeping Ascalon alive because with some hard work and dedication I could see it living up to all the hype it has gathered and maintained over the years.

Wrong, it is just too easy to make servers now I think.

There are more custom servers than there has ever been, but there are SO many that none of them get a very big player-base unless they are AMAZING servers.

Which isn't an easy thing to create.

There are more custom servers than there has ever been, but there are SO many that none of them get a very big player-base unless they are AMAZING servers.

I guess there is a point here. I'm mostly disappointed with the OT community as a whole, for filling these crap RL map servers, when the custom projects get little attention, which is a deterrent for other OTmakers because nobody really wants to create something that will probably fail. which only adds to the number of people willing to try a copy paste type server with very little effort or customization. I miss the way OT used to be before everyone assumed money was on the table. I know there are still great crews and smart people dedicated to good OT servers but how little attention they get both here on OTland and on OTservlist make it hard to find them. I didn't even know about necronia or ascalon until about a week before them launching, I think these servers should have their own page on OTservlist for custom projects so you can weed out all those bogus copy paste servers. Just my opinion because i'd hate to see real OT community die.

Well considering what I was referring to was the amazing custom ots, idk how it's really wrong because there is a lot of custom servers yes.... But only a hand full that are really any good imo.

Just curious but what do you think is needed of an 10.xx+ custom ot to make it work good like shadowcores for example (allot of players)

As i see it all the custom ots just die out fast and the rl maps that get allot of players like shadowcores and hexera does not?

Sorry for the bad english :rolleyes:

Just curious but what do you think is needed of an 10.xx+ custom ot to make it work good like shadowcores for example (allot of players)

As i see it all the custom ots just die out fast and the rl maps that get allot of players like shadowcores and hexera does not?

Sorry for the bad english :rolleyes:

Real maps are usually popular cause everyone knows this map, and if it's PvP server, teams are coming here, botting their characters then starting wars, so from 1k players there are maybe only 50 or less manual players, while on custom servers there isn't much botting, and it would be weird to war on custom server, they're meant to be for RPG.

Real maps are usually popular cause everyone knows this map, and if it's PvP server, teams are coming here, botting their characters then starting wars, so from 1k players there are maybe only 50 or less manual players, while on custom servers there isn't much botting, and it would be weird to war on custom server, they're meant to be for RPG.
War....honestly,bot their char for levels and then bot for war lol. When everything is done by the bot beside the walking. I personnaly think bot is what killing tibia. Everyone (yeah,a few like me dont even own a bot lol,but lets say majority) play server where they can bot. Where they need to do the less work to achieve anything. So people play real maps cause they have all their script ready. Heck,i know people that have script to get them to level 200-300 or whatever they wants too without even touching the keyboard. Auto login,auto change spawn,auto deposit,list goes on.

People dont join custom cause it is "harder" to bot. When you see 100 player online and the game chat /trade and depot in general is dead,you know bot has taken control. Sadly,it has become some kind of norm to actually allow bot. And thats killing the community. Like a plague.

War....honestly,bot their char for levels and then bot for war lol. When everything is done by the bot beside the walking. I personnaly think bot is what killing tibia. Everyone (yeah,a few like me dont even own a bot lol,but lets say majority) play server where they can bot. Where they need to do the less work to achieve anything. So people play real maps cause they have all their script ready. Heck,i know people that have script to get them to level 200-300 or whatever they wants too without even touching the keyboard. Auto login,auto change spawn,auto deposit,list goes on.

People dont join custom cause it is "harder" to bot. When you see 100 player online and the game chat /trade and depot in general is dead,you know bot has taken control. Sadly,it has become some kind of norm to actually allow bot. And thats killing the community. Like a plague.

I own a real map server, but I made botting not allowed, I know I wont have many players, but it's cool to sit on server without bot and PvP :)
I wanted to make custom server, but it would take way too long, I am developing server for fun :)

Back to topic, I would play again on Ascalon, it's great server, maybe even best one!

I own a real map server, but I made botting not allowed, I know I wont have many players, but it's cool to sit on server without bot and PvP :)
I wanted to make custom server, but it would take way too long, I am developing server for fun :)

Back to topic, I would play again on Ascalon, it's great server, maybe even best one!
Sad to say but people will bot, they will have exhaust with there bot to make it look like they are doing everything themselves. To be totally honest if i was to play your server id use bot ;d

This is true on so many levels.

Sad to say but people will bot, they will have exhaust with there bot to make it look like they are doing everything themselves. To be totally honest if i was to play your server id use bot ;d

Yeah, I agree, people are lazy, I have got 5 staff members so we can check bots pretty often, so they won't bot. :p

Status
Not open for further replies.