• There is NO official Otland's Discord server and NO official Otland's server list. The Otland's Staff does not manage any Discord server or server list. Moderators or administrator of any Discord server or server lists have NO connection to the Otland's Staff. Do not get scammed!

[Idea]TFS FAQ

Morty

Reaction score
After you've spent a while using The Forgotten Server, most things are clear, and you understand how to correct them, however, if you're new to TFS, say from any outdated, Evolution based server, everything is different.

We all state that we want everyone to use SQL servers, and in my case, i want everyone to use TFS, but looking at it from the perspective of someone who knows nothing about it, it can be very offputting. The answer nearly always is, player flags, or use the search function, and i personally feel, the person in question will just turn back to Evolutions, in which they can easily find their trusty accounts folder.

The first solution that i thought of is a detailed FAQ thread for TFS, after some thought i decided i wouldn't mind making it, but my question to you, the developers, users and people who encounter the problems is; What questions need to be answered?

• How do I create GameMaster characters?
  • Why doesn't /ban work in TFS?!
  • How do I make it so players do not need to learn spells?
  • What are player flags? What's so great about them?

Your ideas please :)

Answers.
1st : ur using sqlite or mysql?
2nd : coz it is /b not /ban (to unban /unban).
3rd : change that from spells.xml.
4th : hmm same as other servers as i know o_O.

last i wish i helped and sry for not posting examples it is coz i must go and study.

yours,
Clary

I didn't really want answers, hehe, read it again :)

There are threads on this form dedicated to aiding someone in setting up MYSQL.

The information IS here but people just dont use the Search function. (Or look in the tutorials directory.)

a) Some tutorials are outdated, some are complicated, and some, simply won't use the search function! Besides MySQL isn't the only thing that's so radically different.

Nikolas' tutorials are not outdated. The way to install a MYSQL Server and setup TFS has been the same as it was when he made the original thread. Simply download xampp...make a SQL database...import forgotten.sql...configure your config.lua and there you go... His tutorials, specifically http://otland.net/showthread.php?t=49, sufficiently explain how to do most of this. As for the rest... There are more tutorials and also the support forum where a new user can ask for help.

Ok then, forget the idea, i hope you love it when the only answers to newbies threads are FLAGS! SEARCH! I for one, think it's rude and unhelpful.

it you want an FAQ made and u know everything already then why not make it your self?

I'm planning on, i just wanted to know what peoples' biggest problems were when switching to TFS.

Feel free to make a tutorial, no one is going to stop you, but even with that... People who aren't computer savvy will have a hard time setting up an OT. Its normal in life.

Tutorial, tutorial, but forum search isn't the best to search what you need when you are newbie. Noobs write stupid things everyday, then someone search and find outdate informations :>
You know much about TFS and know when someone lie, but newbies dont know is it true and must test everything :(
Best if one of TFS developers (Tala? :p ) host official "TFS Wiki" and give access for old users who know much about TFS/C++/LUA/XML config to add tutorials and definitions.

or if you write it and ask him to publish it under his name

Instructions are not clear

Hi, I wont pretend to be a wiz with pooters but i did obtain a programing qualification in pascal many years ago, still i dont find it on any documentation as to how i start the client or login once i have the server running.?

Back