• There is NO official Otland's Discord server and NO official Otland's server list. The Otland's Staff does not manage any Discord server or server list. Moderators or administrator of any Discord server or server lists have NO connection to the Otland's Staff. Do not get scammed!

Creating a game -Lack of wind in the sails.

lexus21

Reaction score
Hi,

I wanted to discuss the topic of creating games based on TFS (The Forgotten Server). I don't mean Open Tibia Servers (OTS) here; I'm talking about something completely new, some innovation. I know that TFS-based games can be very similar to Tibia, but I'm sure there are many of us who have tried, are trying, or are currently in the process.

I'd like to ask you, how does it look for you? Have you already created a game based on TFS? Do you work alone or in a group? What discourages you from continuing the project, and what motivates you? How many times have you approached the creation of something new, and how many ideas have crossed your minds? :D

For me, it's like this: every few months, I come back with new ideas, but working alone, it's not easy. I quickly lose motivation and can't catch the wind to sail smoothly. Working on this project brings me joy in general. I can do a lot on my own - some fixes in C++ in TFS, scripting into Lua, or using Blender - I have the skills, and the ideas are intriguing.

But there's a lack of wind in my sails... maybe I need a team... I'm not sure. The amount of work required is substantial, but I hope the outcome will interest more of those "nerds," "computer enthusiasts," and geeks... Maybe I'll tell you more about my idea later.

Tell me, how's it going with you?

If you are not making Tibia server then using TFS is just shitty idea, there is nothing worth using that TFS provides, compared to modern solutions.

Nah it is not that bad idea. There are many examples of custom games based on OTS resources. Like Phobos on Steam (https://store.steampowered.com/app/1373350/Phobos/)

and probably even more others no? I think that the decision to make games based on OTS resources are because of nostalgic feelings and maybe the know-how factor of how to use the OTS resources. I am personally too developing a non OTS game with OTS tools. It wouldn't be wise to think that such type of game will be a mainstream game but if you will be having good time and your idea is good. It can result in a good game and probably you will attract attention from OTS players as a cool custom server to play anyways despite of not that much interested non OTS players audience. Anyways as oen says it will way harder road to success than compared to modern solutions. But you should try to give your idea a chance it can be ok especially if you good in OTS.

If you plan to keep the pixel-art, "SQM-based" movement I think TFS is a good solution, especially if you going with OTClient as well.
The idea of using it as a game server for a game you'd model the graphics in Blender is almost insane. You surely better off using something else or starting from scratch.

If you are not making Tibia server then using TFS is just shitty idea, there is nothing worth using that TFS provides, compared to modern solutions.
Could you tell us which modern solutions you mean?

By modern I meant something that's not made in 1997.

That's a very strange take. Not only you are limiting yourself to networking code only (where of course TFS is far from perfect), but you also bring up a release date of Tibia, not TFS 🤔

ENet, GameNetworkingSockets (from Valve), or even using game engines that have native networking support like Unity or Godot.
By modern I meant something that's not made in 1997.
do you know diffrence between client and server? im not sure

It would be waste of time to refactor individual parts of TFS compared to creating entirely new server.

TFS protocol system is based on Cipsoft's so...

He never said he wants to make an online game, though. Also I would bet $1 that cipsofts initial networking from 1997 has been updated a bit. Anyway, I wouldn't say it's a bad take? Depends on your use case obviously.

Of course, I meant MMOs. Other engines are good, but in TFS we have a ready-made one. Both TFS and otclient are wonderful. I have a experience from the uneral engine and hard to make a network game. - Especially from scratch. What's more, the graphics in TFS are nostalgia.

Last edited:
Of course, I meant MMOs. Other engines are good, but in TFS we have a ready-made one. Both TFS and otclient are wonderful. I have a experience from the uneral engine and hard to make a network game. - Especially from scratch. What's more, the graphics in TFS are nostalgia.
There are a lot of template projects for Unity, check them out - but if you are comfortable with TFS/OTC then feel free to stick with it.
Keep in mind that auxiliary functionalities can be implemented as additional services, all they have to do is communicate with TFS,
and if we are talking about communication - TFS does that rather decently.

do you know diffrence between client and server? im not sure
Don't worry, nowadays you can easily get to know the difference - for example, you can google and you can make sure ;)

Last edited:
I'm not sure you'll make it out of the OTS bubble if you're stuck to TFS. In fact, you probably won't. The question is: is this a problem for you?

I agree with Oen and others above. If you're willing to create something really unique, file for a trademark and etcetera, you should probably build your own game from scratch using a modern game engine. Otherwise, TFS should be fine for you.

Hi,

I wanted to discuss the topic of creating games based on TFS (The Forgotten Server). I don't mean Open Tibia Servers (OTS) here; I'm talking about something completely new, some innovation. I know that TFS-based games can be very similar to Tibia, but I'm sure there are many of us who have tried, are trying, or are currently in the process.

I'd like to ask you, how does it look for you? Have you already created a game based on TFS? Do you work alone or in a group? What discourages you from continuing the project, and what motivates you? How many times have you approached the creation of something new, and how many ideas have crossed your minds? :D

For me, it's like this: every few months, I come back with new ideas, but working alone, it's not easy. I quickly lose motivation and can't catch the wind to sail smoothly. Working on this project brings me joy in general. I can do a lot on my own - some fixes in C++ in TFS, scripting into Lua, or using Blender - I have the skills, and the ideas are intriguing.

But there's a lack of wind in my sails... maybe I need a team... I'm not sure. The amount of work required is substantial, but I hope the outcome will interest more of those "nerds," "computer enthusiasts," and geeks... Maybe I'll tell you more about my idea later.

Tell me, how's it going with you?

I got discouraged moving foward after realising my own tweak to a Tibia game would not only be too small and revolve already insane work, but it won't be actually something new. In the end it's the same 2d grid and an avatar that increases his numbers after grind monsters, with the same sort of movements and etc. All Tibia like games are essentially the same game. A facelift and small gimicks that don't actually change the game loop at all. And I got tired of playing always the same old shit trying to feel the same way I felt when I was 13, the magic is over, at least for me.

Them after giving up on my Tibia like game I actually started a museum sort of project, by trying to recreate Tibia 4.0, which kept pushing me into learning programing stuff, is "sort of unique", and was supposed to be small scope, supposed to actually don't revolve insane amount of work. Still a lot of work, and I get burn out way more than I expected, so it's dragging way longer than I wanted, but it's getting really close to be finished.

Back