• There is NO official Otland's Discord server and NO official Otland's server list. The Otland's Staff does not manage any Discord server or server list. Moderators or administrator of any Discord server or server lists have NO connection to the Otland's Staff. Do not get scammed!

Im starting a custom map.. what distro.

Extrodus

|| Blazera.net ||
Premium User
Solutions
Reaction score
Alright, so Ive always stuck to 3884 for my servers on 8.6, but I just want to ask the you guys what you think the LEAST CRASHABLE, LEAST HACKABLE rev/distro is right now. I want to make sure I'm working with something that wont be brought down to easily if it gets popular in the long run. In simple terms, I dont want to run into problems that I should of looked at before I started.. if anyone here even has a distro they've compiled their self based off 3884 that has fixed security flaws if there are any, that would be greatly appreciated and I'd even pay.

I hope I can find a good, stable distro to use for this project that I wont have to worry about. Please post your suggestions below!

I might just make a custom client to go for the RPG Project Im doing, so I may go 8.7+ with mounts, etc, what distro do you guys recommend!?

I wouldn't bother create a custom otserv
Hardly anyone plays them.

As Three Magic says, there is no idea spend hours and hours to make a server which probably won't gain any sucess/players at all.
Back in the days like 2008~ custom maps was like WOW! but now their dead, mostly people only want to bot then war and that's it. They want it easy.
Tibia is pretty dead what i have seen so far this last 1 - 2 years or maybe even more.

My thoughts.

Last edited:
From what i see, people like high rate servers with pvp-e or just plain old school war servers as of now.

Don't discourage Extrodus since it normally takes a few months to create a decent rpg server and it is likely in those 6 months there will be a change in behaviour of OT players.

So create it extrodus, forget what your told, if your server can offer something that appeals to the current audience of its time, then you will succeed.

BUT when creating the map,
aim to complete a 2-4 (main) city continent then release and add more to map after. Don't try to build some 999999MB RPG map as it will take too long and despite what you think, people are generally correct when they say you will give up. Aim for main continent and release and update over time.

GOOD LUCK

P.S. i hate people predicting my ability before they know my ability. It only motivates me more.

@UP, I totally feel you on that. I want to create my own content of what I have in mind; then update as I gain a player base and get suggestions. I didnt give any info really on what I'm doing, so theres no way to judge it. If someone makes a custom server, and covers the main aspects; there is no reason why it cant be like any war/rl map/high exp server.. the reason I joined tibia was because of the community, and the fun when things started to get going. I will never lose that when making a custom server, I feel all of that is thrown out the window when you go high exp.

But @THE TOPIC,

Do you guys enjoy mounts, should I go with 8.7+ or stay with 8.6? I kinda like the idea of mounts for my custom server, its just updating to 8.7+ add alot more than just mounts so I wanted to get an opinon!

Well in my opinion you should go for the lastest version for a rpg server as a lot of stuff you will make will be custom and having some extra standard features like mounts will be usefull, even if you decide you don't want them at first you might make an update in which you have a quest or something that gives a mount, if you where on 8.6 or lower you'd have to go through coding all the mounts and stuff.

9.3 has nice monster sprites but some sprites are very ugly..

It also seems most rpg custom servers become custom clients, and if that is the case, 9.3 is a no brainer.

however mounts are nice, if you implment them into the server, don't make them easy to get/find or w,e.

As then it will look messy with 10000 players all riding a panda.

Make some "rare" so it is something to show off etc

Also reguarding new map~

What people seem to forget is, custom maps for RPG are very different to that of a high rate simple teleport map.

Players have to explore and therefore may find it "complicated." I would recommend having an npc at the spawn point that is like a guide who explains new features and map and areas etc

Good luck man ;) I also making a costum map, low exp RPG server, I think because that part of otservers are dead, there are alot of people who will like it. so good luck! let's bring back the Low RPG servers

I hear you Zorenia, bring back the RPG! As for the client, I think I'm going to stick with a stable 8.6, and keep a basic tibia structure. staying with the RPG feel of things, no flashy mounts and what not. Im going to try to make a unique style to my liking and hopefully people will enjoy it as much I will making it. I started a map show off thread ;D

If someone makes a custom server, and covers the main aspects; there is no reason why it cant be like any war/rl map/high exp server..

It can be like a rl map etc
I dont wish to discourage you, I even started creating a custom otserv [check my previous threads]. But I soon left it because theres nothing rewarding about it.

People who come to ots, come here for wars. They dont come here to explore new places etc, they just wanna level, war, move on.

Goodluck though, I wish you all the best.

Back