• There is NO official Otland's Discord server and NO official Otland's server list. The Otland's Staff does not manage any Discord server or server list. Moderators or administrator of any Discord server or server lists have NO connection to the Otland's Staff. Do not get scammed!

Make more OTs for Linux/UNIX based systems!!

About the security of windows server x linux server:

They say that Windows servers are less secure that Linux servers, this is not true.

Windows servers are more subject to attacks because they are very easy to be managed, then anyone can manage a Windows server, even a noob...

I always say that: "Never say never."

But at this point, I think that windows never will be useless.

After people is telling the public how good Linux is, it makes me wanna try it once again. And some people say that Debian is one of the easiest to start with. Even with Debian you need to know commandlines and that's why people probably find it hard with Linux. I remember when I tried Linux. I had to install drivers for my graphic card which didn't go so well ( I think I managed to install it after some days of waiting for replies @forums) and later on I couldn't even remove Linux from my partition...
Anyways, is there a place there you could learn commands for linux? The basics ? Like apt-get install etc...

@Off-Topic
I've Ubuntu Gutsy here and works good and it is very userfriendly, looking this topic I've one question...

What are the most user friendly Gnome or KDE? I'm using ubuntu which uses Gnome, but KDE is more user friendly than Gnome? I'm askin here coz I dont want to download a thing which I will not use =x.

Thx...

After people is telling the public how good Linux is, it makes me wanna try it once again. And some people say that Debian is one of the easiest to start with. Even with Debian you need to know commandlines and that's why people probably find it hard with Linux. I remember when I tried Linux. I had to install drivers for my graphic card which didn't go so well ( I think I managed to install it after some days of waiting for replies @forums) and later on I couldn't even remove Linux from my partition...
Anyways, is there a place there you could learn commands for linux? The basics ? Like apt-get install etc...

Ubuntu is a good start for newcomers to Linux.

Here's a few basic commands that I'm quoting from a Debian GNU/Linux beginners guide I'm writing.
Code:
	ls - view files in current directory
		Example:
			ls

cd - go to another directory
		Example:
			cd otserv

mv - move a file or directory to another destination
		Example:
			mv config.lua otserv/

cp - copy a file or a directory to another destination
		Example:
			cp config.lua otserv/

rm - remove a file
		Example:
			rm -rf config.lua

wget - download a file from an URL
		Example:
			wget urlToFile

apt-get install - install a package from repository
		Example:
			apt-get install apache2

apt-get remove - uninstall an installed package
		Example:
			apt-get remove apache2

apt-cache search - search for a package
		Example:
			apt-cache search apache2

aptitude install - install a package from repository
		Example:
			aptitude install apache2

aptitude remove - uninstall an installed package
		Example:
			aptitude remove apache2

aptitude search - search for a package
		Example:
			aptitude search apache2

@Off-Topic
I've Ubuntu Gutsy here and works good and it is very userfriendly, looking this topic I've one question...

What are the most user friendly Gnome or KDE? I'm using ubuntu which uses Gnome, but KDE is more user friendly than Gnome? I'm askin here coz I dont want to download a thing which I will not use =x.

Thx...

In my opinion Gnome has more tools that has compatibility with most hardware and it's lighter than KDE. However KDE has the stability, speed and the look.

http://www.psychocats.net/essays/kdevsgnome
http://www.psychocats.net/ubuntu/kdegnome

I have had enough problems with Linux. I don't think I'll ever get linux. Maybe when I move out from my parents and if I have like 2 computers. I can't seem to understand those who are saying that some linux desktops are easier to use than windows. I don't know which OS is better than who, both have their own benefits. It all depends on what you need I guess.

On topic: I do agree with you. More Linux/Unix servers won't harm...

Try Ubuntu. Even my comp-tarded friend hasn't had problems with it yet, and he's been using it the last month. To understand how comp-tarded this individual is, I've had to reformat and even physically replace his HDD so many times that both my Windows install disks and also his original Windows install disk cannot be used to install Windows again. Which is why he had to settle for a Linux distribution this time around, neither of us can afford a new copy of Windows XP.
Also, if you have over 330MB of RAM, you can try it on a Live disk; which means you simply boot from the disk and it runs from your memory (no need to install). This also makes it slower as all hell, so don't think it'll always be so slow. If you don't have 330MB of RAM, you'll need to install it using the alternative disk like I did.
PS: Ubuntu has a tool called GPARTED. If you can use the Live disk then use the program to make your Windows partition 2GB smaller (make sure you defragment it on Windows before doing so, you could lose data otherwise) and use this space for installation. Then just test from here.
Ubuntu ships disks for free, or you can download .ISO files and burn them onto a CD yourself. The installer may be a little hard, but if you can install Windows on a brand new hard drive you'll be able to install Ubuntu. ;)

CIPsoft's client doesn't work if you don't have the right OpenGL extensions available on your graphics card. That's another problem with using Linux. Of course, you can just use the Outcast (it's got its own forum on *fans) if this is the case for you. (Alternatively, wait for YATC to be completed)
There's also plenty of OT tools available on Linux. I'm pretty sure there's an IP changer and OTItemEditor compiled for Linux computers available on *fans and RME even has an Ubuntu/Debian package.

EDIT: Also, I was wrong. Linux has virtual memory, it uses a SWAP partition. When you install ubuntu and it asks you to make a SWAP partition, make it at least twice the amount of RAM you have (if possible). This is the "recommended size". No reason not to make it smaller or larger. I didn't know this and made my SWAP partition the same size as my RAM (coincidentally the size it suggested in the installer) so that's why I thought it didn't support virtual memory.

Last edited:
Windows 2003 server web editon:
war ots (FerOTS 0.3 for tibia 7.92) - online time 475+ hours (then I had to restart PC - windows update) - Windows is stable too... (FerOTSes [0.3-0.6] don't work on linux :D )

Well I agree with you Basse but still, I will use windows and use tfs server..

@up

Yeah, Windows Server is very stable and now (with Windows Server 2008) you can run it without a GUI if you want, choosing the "core instalation".

post More Linux servers!

Linux is betetr than Windows. It is better to host servers and so on in Linux. Post Linux servers. I really want Linux servers.<_<

I mean while UNIX and Linux based systems are the most stable and best performance with running a server, theres most servers for Windows, I don't understand, Windows is meaned to play on not running servers, Linux/UNIX is more made for that, cant you see it? and don't host servers and play on the same Computer, It makes it lag, and slows it!
can't you guys see, Ye i kno' im a UNIX Freak, but still im running Windows on my primary PC and Ubuntu on my secondary laptop
Just compile otserv under unix?

Post Linux Server!

When I compiling an otserv under Linux. I get mass errors all the time, I have followed the compiling tuturials. I cant compile. Please, can someone post a link och something to an otserv for Linux that is COMPILED already, Thx

Regards, Timpa ;)

PS: Use only Linux if you know the basics or you are lost :)
Learning how to compile and run TFS on Ubuntu/Debian isn't hard at all.... When I first bought my dedicated server I had never used any Unix distro before and I had my server running within a day, without help.. There's plenty of tutorials in this forum to make it easy.

It can be confusing at first, but all you really need is some common sense... Maybe that's why your lost with it.

@up
Me too :) I wanted to buy windows, but first time, my friend had Linux /Debian, i tried with it and it wasn't hard :) But using windows anyway because like it more, maybe startin with linux again soon :)

Can someone post an OTServ which is for Linux? I need it very much dudes.. plx

I cant compile. I get errors all the time... Is it so hard to post an otserv for linux?plx plx plx plx!!!!

I mean while UNIX and Linux based systems are the most stable and best performance with running a server, theres most servers for Windows, I don't understand, Windows is meaned to play on not running servers, Linux/UNIX is more made for that, cant you see it? and don't host servers and play on the same Computer, It makes it lag, and slows it!
can't you guys see, Ye i kno' im a UNIX Freak, but still im running Windows on my primary PC and Ubuntu on my secondary laptop

There are more servers for windows because most of the users use windows.

I cant compile. I get errors all the time... Is it so hard to post an otserv for linux?plx plx plx plx!!!!

There's a guide that comes with TFS, with each and every step you need to take to compile. If you read the instructions you will be able to compile without any problems at all.

Back