• There is NO official Otland's Discord server and NO official Otland's server list. The Otland's Staff does not manage any Discord server or server list. Moderators or administrator of any Discord server or server lists have NO connection to the Otland's Staff. Do not get scammed!

The Unknown | Mapping Thread

Unknown Soldier

Mapping a map
Solutions
Reaction score
kz5Sdon.png

Just one decade ago climate of Nathmyr region was temperate, there were four seasons with warm summers and mild winters, lush vegetation was covering whole land to the west and east from Kildorrery Canyon, it used to be a home for many species of animals. Almost one hundred years ago in the middle of Nathmyr a little village called Darranard was founded, it was teeming with life, residents lived in prosperity because local miners were engaged in the mining of very valuable crystals in the world's largest mine system - Hadraroth mines. Each year this little city was exporting thousands of crystals, still Hadraroth mines after many decades of exploitation were still loaded with crystals. One man's work for only one year in Hadraroth mines was enough for a big family to live in wealth for decades. Life of the residents of this small town could be called perfect, there was no indication that the peace and prosperity that lasts so long could ever be interrupted.

One year a really severe summer came, temperature rose by a dozen degrees and rain did not show up for months what led to the drought. Crops in Darranard decreased to almost zero, famine came, there was also a shortage of drinking water, many severe thunderstorms burned surrounding forests and fields, people began to abandon work and their temporary accommodations and return to their home towns. Many who decided to stay did not survive the summer. Many who dared to work in the mine at that time never came out. The river in the canyon began to dry up, all the surrounding water bodies turned into brown water contaminated with carrion and specks of dust and sand brought by the wind. The surrounding vegetation dried up, just few years were enough and it almost completely disappeared transforming the entire region into a desert. Nowadays the most common type of vegetation that can be seen in Nathmyr are scraps of dried grass. Only northern regions still have some residues of healthy vegetation, but they are just single trees and bushes. Animals in the region have almost completely disappeared, some started migrating in a search for a new home, some decided to stay, many died. Those that have stayed are no longer reminiscent of old animals, everything that lives nearby the town is now aggressive and able to kill to get something to eat. They are even fighting against each other. The population of the city began drasticly declining.

The summer passed, the autumn came, temperature decreased, first rain since spring came, the joy of the people in Darranard was hard to describe. It was still hotter than it should be, but it seemd that everything was going back to normal, at least everyone believed it. Late in the autumn the workers and their families began returning to the town hoping that they will be able to work in the mine again. At the beginning of the winter a 16-person expedition was sent to the mine to investigate the conditions beneath the ground, noone returned...

... and to start your adventure you should talk to the expedition leader who have stayed in Darranard and ask him ask for details. However this will not take place at the very beginning :)

Hello everyone!
I would like to introduce you to the world of The Unknown, it is going to be quite difficult RPG game server with many stories such as main story line, which will be the heart of whole game world (the introduction you can read above) consisting of a lot of quests, smaller and bigger ones and lots of bosses, which will be expended as the game continues, so hopefully for many years (I have maaaany ideas!). Of course there will be also lots of another story/quest content, everything taking place in 100% custom map. It will be server dedicated to those, who search for an alternative for classic Tibia, but does not have so much time, for those who love RPG, for those who like things to be difficult where every rare loot, every next level, every skill advance is taking some effort.

Server details (as for today, however it will not change drastically):
Protocol: 10.98
Exp: stages, from around 6x at the beginning, to 2x at higher levels
Loot: 1x - 2x or something in between, with custom drop chances for some items
Skill rate: 2x (still to be tested and decided later), no trainers, but offline training available
PVP: yes, also with guild wars option
Houses: auctioned on the website

And here I would like to mention, that many things will stay classic, so vocations, spells, monsters with loot - this will mostly stay unchanged. I consider it quite good already, there will be of course some little customization in this matter, however not so significant.

Enjoy screenshots!

[1]
kka9dN2.jpg

[2]
GxY1d4u.jpg

[3]
FgtlSkv.jpg

[4]
XJPS71U.jpg

[5]
9VWAkh3.jpg

[6]
umjYUsy.jpg

[7]
Wi8Ks1c.jpg

[8]
ydZ8DKF.jpg

[9]
owwHwVt.jpg

[10]
nIdipDs.jpg

[11]
2huRBpK.jpg

[12]
DdeIaI1.jpg

[13]
wbk4cNy.jpg

[14]
9T004D1.jpg

[15]
NkGNf31.jpg

[16]
4nMS1rq.jpg

[17]
o3vIJ2l.jpg

[18]
v0JY7aV.jpg

Minimap - floor 7, 6 and 5 merged (outdated)
[19]
Xk57S9p.png

Minimap - 5 (outdated)
[20]
9F6He15.png

Another Screenshots in this thread:

Last edited:
Thanks for positive feedback :)

Speaking of minimap, I can't imagine good custom game world without a good looking minimap (well, I am a geodesist, I love maps of any kind, it has to have something in common I guess xd), and unfortunately not many people care about it. It is almost impossible to find minimap on any server's website, and if there is something - usually the shape of it is just... you all know.

There are few minimaps, they are some random hunting places which are already finished. What is important to notice, each one of it is just single floor of much bigger location, they consist of few more floors making it quite big locations, where you can gest easily lost :) And for me this is one of the factors that makes good RPG map. Enjoy!

[21]
xPG0eiZ.png

[22]
BW0VQSL.png

[23]
LrJJcru.png

[24]
xkqwuLf.png

Last edited:
I really like the mini map, post some pictures about the mini map 3 ..

Glad that you like it, thanks! :)

Minimap #3 is Corym cave, minimap of one of the floors, take a look at first post and pictures #5 and #6. In addition to that, here are few more:

[25]
hYBzMJ0.png

[26]
ljoXz4P.png

[27]
WIjy7Pv.png

[28]
aOMu2bI.png

Currently I am mapping a tomb, but not an ankrahmun tomb, just dark, moody one. I have already managed to finish most of the hunting places in the area of the tomb. I'd like to show you one new location from this place, it is called blood crypts. You will find there a bunch of nightmares, clay guardians and grave guards (no, they are not dark torturers ;p)

[29]
oWshLIV.png

[30]
7AoDUm5.png

[31]
Yj7BttB.png

Greetings!

Last edited:

Minimap #3 is Corym cave, minimap of one of the floors, take a look at first post and pictures #5 and #6. In addition to that, here are few more:

[1]
hYBzMJ0.png

[2]
ljoXz4P.png

[3]
WIjy7Pv.png

[4]
aOMu2bI.png

Currently I am mapping a tomb, but not an ankrahmun tomb, just dark, moody one. I have already managed to finish most of the hunting places in the area of the tomb. I'd like to show you one new location from this place, it is called blood crypts. You will find there a bunch of nightmares, clay guardians and grave guards (no, they are not dark torturers ;p)

[5]
oWshLIV.png

[6]
7AoDUm5.png

[7]
Yj7BttB.png

Greetings!
Well done man! These maps are great.

[1]
hYBzMJ0.png

[2]
ljoXz4P.png

[3]
WIjy7Pv.png

[4]
aOMu2bI.png

[5]
oWshLIV.png

[6]
7AoDUm5.png

[7]
Yj7BttB.png

Greetings!

These Tombs are cool.
You could try to make auto-border quite less visible in Corym caves though. :p

Well, you are right, it is too much visible in those caves, I'm gonna fix it, thanks!

Nice mapping skills, enjoyed the waterfall-stairs screenshots [11].
Keep it up!

It's great to see that you like it, it gives a lot of motivation, thank you!

Recently I have been working on an ice island, I have created many hunting places like few frost dragons and ice golem hills, ice witches tower (I'm not being original, I know...), quite huge sea serpents area, and few more. The underground is still empty, will be working on it in the future. Anyways, here goes the goodies!

[32]
LF8swCy.png

[33]
D3U6HBV.png

[34]
Pu6wFyf.png

[35]
GTKMo22.png

[36]
DDYbxA6.png

[37]
42s70Us.png

[38]
8CiOVko.png

[39]
p4seH2p.png

[40]
eUgwblV.png

[41]
b4XPcmT.png

[42]
1MvB5kE.png

Greetings!

Last edited:
Again, well done man. But I would say the lava doesn't make much sense being underwater. Maybe just some cracks of lava instead of a pool of it.

Lava underwater is controversial, I agree, but there are also lava spills under the oceans and the color is bright white/red/orange, and since Tibia is not so graphically advanced, there are not many other options I guess, so I think I will stay with this, but will be thinking on replacing it with something else, thanks for for an advice!

Lava underwater is controversial, I agree, but there are also lava spills under the oceans and the color is bright white/red/orange, and since Tibia is not so graphically advanced, there are not many other options I guess, so I think I will stay with this, but will be thinking on replacing it with something else, thanks for for an advice!

How about using a double border to mask small cracks of lava into the bottom? I only have 7.6 map editor so I can't give an example with your sprites but I assume it would work the same. Just be wary that you might make some sqms walkable when you don't want them to be. Also you need to be creative with shapes because as you can see you will produce some map errors if you don't cover up certain spots.
PlrC3TY.png

Again, well done man. But I would say the lava doesn't make much sense being underwater. Maybe just some cracks of lava instead of a pool of it.
Yes, who DARES use lava in an underwater area for gigantic worm-like sea monsters that spew earth and ice waves out of their mouth. This completely ruins the realistic immersion that Tibia offers us!

Unknown Soldier, you do you. This is a fantasy game that enables you to make a variety of fantastic areas and biomes. Don't ever limit yourself for the sake of realism.

Yes, who DARES use lava in an underwater area for gigantic worm-like sea monsters that spew earth and ice waves out of their mouth. This completely ruins the realistic immersion that Tibia offers us!

Unknown Soldier, you do you. This is a fantasy game that enables you to make a variety of fantastic areas and biomes. Don't ever limit yourself for the sake of realism.
Water and lava are not fantasy fiction, so i believe its good to keep some proper physics to it.

How about using a double border to mask small cracks of lava into the bottom? I only have 7.6 map editor so I can't give an example with your sprites but I assume it would work the same. Just be wary that you might make some sqms walkable when you don't want them to be. Also you need to be creative with shapes because as you can see you will produce some map errors if you don't cover up certain spots.
PlrC3TY.png
In newer versions you have lava streams sprites that suits this purpose well.
They look like this:
lava.png
It's great to see that you like it, it gives a lot of motivation, thank you!

Recently I have been working on an ice island, I have created many hunting places like few frost dragons and ice golem hills, ice witches tower (I'm not being original, I know...), quite huge sea serpents area, and few more. The underground is still empty, will be working on it in the future. Anyways, here goes the goodies!

[1]
LF8swCy.png

[2]
D3U6HBV.png

[3]
Pu6wFyf.png

[4]
GTKMo22.png

[5]
DDYbxA6.png

[6]
42s70Us.png

[7]
8CiOVko.png

[8]
p4seH2p.png

[9]
eUgwblV.png

[10]
b4XPcmT.png

[11]
1MvB5kE.png

Greetings!
Nice maps! But i agree with @Apollos about lava.

And I like the minimap.
I think i know what's your inspiration.
mappy.png

Well explained! I agree with you, sometimes it's good to have limitations though, but for me lava underwater is totally fine and realistic, but I know that not everyone shares that opinion. Anyway I am gonna keep the lava underwater.

Water and lava are not fantasy fiction, so i believe its good to keep some proper physics to it.

In newer versions you have lava streams sprites that suits this purpose well.
They look like this:

Nice maps! But i agree with @Apollos about lava.

And I like the minimap.
I think i know what's your inspiration.

Hahah, garlic made my day :D

I like the image that you have posted, and I will go with those lava borders with some short lava streams instead of current version, this looks better!

I think underwater lava is at least physically possible unlike for instance an underground river on the floor below a normal river. :D

I think underwater lava is at least physically possible unlike for instance an underground river on the floor below a normal river. :D
It definitely is possible. Nobody said it isn't.
But just not the pools of it like it is on the picture.