• There is NO official Otland's Discord server and NO official Otland's server list. The Otland's Staff does not manage any Discord server or server list. Moderators or administrator of any Discord server or server lists have NO connection to the Otland's Staff. Do not get scammed!

Tibia's new era.. Better read it.

To me it sounds nice maybe because I don't give a shit about this game any more :p In every update they make the game worse and worse...

upon this release, it will be a huge blow to open tibia....it will be impossible to be able to connect to open tibia with the new flash client most likely... its either going to branch opentibia away from tibia or destroy it.

@up

That's why we have YATC. If this does mean that we can't use their client to connect to OTS, i think more developers will join YATC to be able to continue with OT.

He said it's an experiment so let's hope they'll fail. Also that won't destroy opentibia after all because the old client will still exist: Tibia Client Download

Even if they succeed, I am sure that Open Tibia people (e.g Talaturen) will find a way to change the IP of the new tibia client like they did with the old one.

There's plenty of programmers that won't give up with another CipSoft update... as Nikolas said.

Wait... so CipSoft is gonna code a Tibia client in FLASH?...

That's a really nice way of giving out the source code for free since you can decompile .swf files and thus get both the images, shapes, actionscripts and whatever else the client is made from.
Some serious thumbs up for the CipSoft IQ.

Rexxar:
Wrong. SWF is as much decompilable as any bytecode. .Net CIL code doesn't give you exact source code when decompiled (what it would give you - C#, VB.Net, or what?). Besides, a real Tibia client wouldn't keep graphics inside SWF, just like the current client doesn't keep its graphics in the EXE (which it might, but it doesn't, just like it wouldn't with SWF).

It would be very stupid to pack it all inside SWF: look, even YouTube doesn't pack videos in SWF, instead serving them as separate files.

What would they do, you may ask? Stream individual sprites over the net, from their servers. I doubt you can reasonably load sprites from local disk, even if it's launched in stand alone player. Dunno, perhaps you might. What worries me most is that all flash games have very low performance especially on slower machines. You'd have to be a boy genius to make flash code run fast, because the flash player itself is slow.

Making a transition of Tibia to Flash? I doubt that. Making a new Tibia for Flash, but not a switch? Quite reasonable, and pretty certainly lucrative, because many people would now be able to play the game on machines where previously wouldn't be able to.

What would be most lucrative of all?
Rewriting the game in Javascript! With the hyper-fast Javascript engines of modern times (Firefox3.5, Chrome, Opera, Safari) you would suddenly be able to spread to workplaces where administrators have removed Flash (for reasons such as Youtube or Flash games) and are actively preventing installation of software, which is especially troublesome with Tibia since version 8.0 when their new installer started demanding admin privileges (effectively killing playing of Tibia in many schools, except if kids repacked the game in a ZIP archive and brought it on a stick or uploaded it somewhere).

I think there's a market in Javascript games, especially multiplayer games. Question is, who will be the first to make a killer product?

</rant>

Back