• There is NO official Otland's Discord server and NO official Otland's server list. The Otland's Staff does not manage any Discord server or server list. Moderators or administrator of any Discord server or server lists have NO connection to the Otland's Staff. Do not get scammed!

what to learn for ot server?

SlaughterXd

Reaction score
Hello community, i´ve recently been creating a ot tibia server, but how i don´t know anything how it works, i was wondering what should i learn so i can manage my ot server?
I know in the community are lots of experts who know well how ot works, so what should i learn?

how to compile, how to script, how to map. And if im not mistaken, if you want to add custom functions to your server u have to learn how to c++ aswell. (might be wrong however)

Common guys, be realistic, most of the common servers wont need C++ or even compiling. Knowing Lua and how to use it in TFS is enough to make decent servers. After that you can start learning C++ as you encounter situations that are impossible to solve without source edits.

read the link that i've posted above and if you want to try compiling by yourself you can download the required files to do so, there's also a tutorial on how to do it.

i have made a server, and i can run it, but i don´t see why i should compile it.
The only reason to compile is if you're going to make changes in the C++ source code, building an otserver without compiling or having its source may cause you problems in the future if you some time decide to make a change in the C++ source code but you wont have it and finding a compatible source may give you headaches.

The only reason to compile is if you're going to make changes in the C++ source code, building an otserver without compiling or having its source may cause you problems in the future if you some time decide to make a change in the C++ source code but you wont have it and finding a compatible source may give you headaches.
Most tfs versions sources are very easy to find source codes for

so if i understood all you said, compiling my sv i just can manage it better?

When you have the sources to your server, then you can make changes in them and customize the features of your server even further. This is why learning how to compile the server from the sources is good.

If you're not interested in doing any of such modifications right now, then you can just use a pre-compiled version of the server, there's plenty available around (and it appears that you already have downloaded one), and go with it.
Even in this case, it is still a good idea to download the sources and keep them in some backup folder for later, when you might actually decide to modify something.

What I would recommend you to do is to learn LUA instead, that's your first step into managing and modifying your server. OTLand is a great library of scripts, resources and people that can help you, but you gotta put your own effort into it too. You can also learn from other sources and the documentation, everything is available on google. The 'data' folder of your server contains lua scripts that are used to manage a lot of the things that happen in the game, so just looking at the existing scripts of monsters, items, spells, can already tell you a great lot. Personally, I learned a lot by looking at the scripts provided with the datapack of my server and playing with them.
There is a file called LUA_FUNCTIONS in your server's provided documentation, that has a list of all the functions available for you to use, and a bunch of them have descriptions of how they work.

If you are new to programming in general, you're in luck, because LUA (at least in my experience) is one of the easiest languages to write in and learn.

You saw what I did there
C0yckFJ.png

xeraphus pls dont be mad bby

Back