• There is NO official Otland's Discord server and NO official Otland's server list. The Otland's Staff does not manage any Discord server or server list. Moderators or administrator of any Discord server or server lists have NO connection to the Otland's Staff. Do not get scammed!

what to learn for ot server?

SlaughterXd

Reaction score
Hello community, i´ve recently been creating a ot tibia server, but how i don´t know anything how it works, i was wondering what should i learn so i can manage my ot server?
I know in the community are lots of experts who know well how ot works, so what should i learn?

You saw what I did there
C0yckFJ.png

xeraphus pls dont be mad bby
too late
you've already triggered me to the maximum point
shooting up a school now

Tbh as some have said, start with Lua, then continue when you feel ready.
Alot of people have proven that you rarely have to do source edits (atleast with 1.x seeing to the functions we have available).

You have to know atleast basic C++ if you wanna do changes to the source code, beacuse we can't change everything via Lua, even if we are moving more and more to the Lua API.

But if you wanna be able to manage a server by yourself (good luck haha) you have to know ALOT more ...

* The structure of your database (not a must but it helps if you know the basic stuff here)
* HTML, PHP, CSS, SQL and maybe even some JavaScripts to be able to code a nice website, atleast a layout.
* As I said, more than the basics of Lua to be able to fix bugs, optimize your scripts (this is a must if you get alot of players), learn the variables you have aswell as what you can do with them.

At a later stage you need to learn how to use C++, same thing here, wait till you actually need it.
But if you wanna compete with the most updates OTs you need to find a way to know what Tibia changed in the protocol for the next version, when you know that and can code the needed C++ code for it you can update to the latest client version.
This is usully pretty easy but can be a real pain at the same time.

I would start with Lua, since most of the time you will spend coding is ... Lua.
Then the website comes, here is where you have atleast have to learn HTML, PHP, CSS.
"Finally" you can start learning C++.

Or if your really lazy, and don't mind janky-ass workarounds to problems that could be easily fixed by a 4 minute c++ edit, you can create entire new systems using only LUA. :D

LUA for days. :p

This guy is trying to learn. You don't start building a house with the roof.

@OP Firstly, what you need to know is how the server is structured. When you use an item, perhaps a door, you should know that this might be an action script. You should know how to locate this script. Same with any interaction in the server; when you cast a spell or command you should know how to locate the script file belonging to it (but you don't need to know how to modify it yet).

You should probably understand the XML format before you begin making your own codes. You should be able to make small modifications as needed in items.xml or talkactions.xml etc without being too confused about what you're doing. Perhaps then you can open some script file and have a look at its contents.

Before all this though, you probably should also open your map with a mapeditor and see how all items have been placed out. How quests work, using actionids and uniqueids in the mapeditor. How a teleport sends you to a particular destination. You could also open the spawn and house file in your world folder just to see how it is stored, to give you a little "aha, that's how it works" .

Basically, get used to your server structure to begin with. Open all folders and try to understand the purpose of these files etc...

Many people struggle with the XML, and you already suggest a guy with zero experience to compile and even learn to code? Relax guys...

Last edited:
Back