• There is NO official Otland's Discord server and NO official Otland's server list. The Otland's Staff does not manage any Discord server or server list. Moderators or administrator of any Discord server or server lists have NO connection to the Otland's Staff. Do not get scammed!

Why Does 100 Mb of map and a couple MB of files...

Call Me Taffy

Call Me Maybe
Reaction score
Why does a map that's 100 Mb and a few other things in the OT server, use so much memory? I never understood why Open Tibia servers were coded in such a sloppy way. I just never understood how a person needs 2 GB of memory for a 100 Mb file.

Could someone please explain this to me?

Also, are you TFS developers ever going to code the structure into a more computer-friendly way?

Also, I still support you TFS developers and hope for the best...

Because the .otbm file is saved as a binary file (think of this as highly compressed). When the server unserializes it, it populates the memory with instances of classes that hold all the info saved in that file. And it's not sloppy.

Ok, sloppy wasn't the correct word. The correct word I can't think of, but I'm 100% sure there's a better way to code it, but that would take forever, so there's no hopes of it coming.

And compressed? More than highly compressed lol...

in a year you will laugh.. prices of decent computers will come down and for your normal 600-800$ walmart tower will have about 6-8 gigs of ram.. so dont worry about it.

in a year you will laugh.. prices of decent computers will come down and for your normal 600-800$ walmart tower will have about 6-8 gigs of ram.. so dont worry about it.

Oh I'm not, and they're already that cheap. Just don't buy from WalMart lol...or Best Buy or any reseller.

It's not a problem for me, I was just always wondering why...

Wouldn't this be a job for the mapeditor coders, like making some kind of different compression or way to save the file instead of the current one...? :eek:

There must be a way, but we must find it. :)

I think it was a special... but still, lol. ;)

But there are constantly those specials, just a few dollars difference and different times

Wouldn't this be a job for the mapeditor coders, like making some kind of different compression or way to save the file instead of the current one...? :eek:

There must be a way, but we must find it. :)

I wish, but it's not only the map, it's the distribution and way the servers are coded

make your own server software then

I don't care that much to waste my time like the developers here do. Most people here are ungrateful and don't care about what tala and elf and everyone else have to go through to get the server working, they just want it...

If I was tala or elf, I would've been and quit coding servers, because most people just don't respect them...all those thanks are truly 'hurry the fuck up with the bug fixes'...

They already are that cheap...lol

8GB towers are like standard now.

I hope you can help me on this

I have a windows server 2003 server hoster 4gb ram dual processor 3ghz, my issue is that it sometimes tfs 2.5 stop working, reason the ram goes from 1.65 to mora than 2gb and the server crashes leving me any warnong, error it just disappear..

Please buddy tell me what should I do, modify, change or add

I hope you can help me on this

I have a windows server 2003 server hoster 4gb ram dual processor 3ghz, my issue is that it sometimes tfs 2.5 stop working, reason the ram goes from 1.65 to mora than 2gb and the server crashes leving me any warnong, error it just disappear..

Please buddy tell me what should I do, modify, change or add
if you have 64 bit ( i think , beacue when not you can't even use 4gb ^_^), so you have to compile tfs because it is compiled for 32 bit

credits go for Zonet, because he said that:D

@topic: just wait, maybe they will change it, you don't know what come in the next years, or cipsoft stop all this, you just don't know ^_^

Last edited:
I got an Windows Xp, 1.61 GHz (numbers of impulses the computer sends durring 1 second), 1 GB ram , 80 GB of space for 900 euro's but it was 2 years ago thinking to buy a computer next year.. ;)

@Call Me Taffy, you did nothing to OT community, so who are you to blame Elf or Tala, in bad coding? Find a better way to hold map instead of .otbm, and then feel free to complain ;s

I got an Windows Xp, 1.61 GHz (numbers of impulses the computer sends durring 1 second), 1 GB ram , 80 GB of space for 900 euro's but it was 2 years ago thinking to buy a computer next year.. ;)

LOL you got ripped off, i bought my own parts 2 years ago and build my own pc..

for 1200 euro's i had quad core of 2.4 GHz, 4 gb ram, 1 TB space, nvidia geforce 8800GTS 512 mb graphics card..
and also a laser mouse+gaming keyboard, 5.1 surround sound system and a monitor.. i think the computer itself was around 950~1000 euro's..

Actuelly my dad bought it for christmas or sumtin :p
I was very thankfull and i will save this PC for the rest of my life :< (aint the dude what drops in the bin everything whats old) :D

Back