• There is NO official Otland's Discord server and NO official Otland's server list. The Otland's Staff does not manage any Discord server or server list. Moderators or administrator of any Discord server or server lists have NO connection to the Otland's Staff. Do not get scammed!

You guys do not understand why OTs are dying.

We need a webclient.
I have the motivation to add a quest/spawn to my project maybe once every 3-4 months, my shit ain't going live until its just a website.

Without it, this whole ecosystem is inaccessible and full of microtransactional cancer.

'just' use current CPP client in browser via webassembly :D!

Last edited:
You know why companies like Amazon and Apple are also successful? Because they have billions of dollars as a marketing budget. And a huge marketing team.

You know why companies like Amazon and Apple are also successful? Because they have billions of dollars as a marketing budget. And a huge marketing team.

Yes and No. Marketing plays a good role but is not crucial, look at BlackBerry, had billions, dominated the Smart phone market for many years, spent crazy amouts of money in Marketing, but, they didn’t adapt on time, and today they are almost forgotten, they sold they smartphone division to the Chinese and they survive selling security Software.

Apple since the beginning sold easy to use systems, their first computer was based on taking what was already on the market for businesses but repackaging and designing it in a way that normal people could understand.

Amazon concept is not revolutionary, there were many platforms that did the same before them. What they did differently was how easy is to purchase something, in a few steps you can buy a product, while other platforms required you to sign up, get confirmation, go over 20 options, etc etc and lastly purchase.

If your product is not good or its too complicated to use, no matter how much marketing you pour into it, the product will fail. This is like a bad Ot with a lot of marketing, it might attract a lot of players at first due to hype, but if the ot is bad, would they stay?

In stead, a great ot, who dont do much marketing, if the ot is good and its stable, the players will keep coming back and if they enjoy being there they will want their friends to check it out and come there, so eventually more people will come.

@ontopic: I have to say, I am very proud of this community, this topic is being taken seriously and a great discussion is being made with good ideas being presented. You guys are awesome and let’s see what can we achieve to make the OT scene evolve to the next level.

I don't think OTs are dying given that there are more people playing them now than ever. However, I haven't played any OT in years, and the reason for that is there's basically no creativity.

There are three types of OT servers:
The first is the usual "RL map" server that works exactly like the official Tibia, and is very up to date concerning all the new content that comes in the game. These servers are played pretty much only by people who don't want to spend money in the game, and those who think that regular Tibia is "too slow."

The second type is the nostalgia server. 7.4, 7.6, 8.0, you name it. It's for people who want to reminiscence of the "good old days" of Tibia. These servers are the most stale, because people want them exactly like the game was all of these years ago. Except people only think they want them like that. They get bored because there isn't a lot to do in the server, so it dies after 2 or 3 months.

The third type of server is the one with actual custom content put into it. These are good. It's exactly what OTs should be doing. However I'm yet to see one that actually does this well. Usually it's completely senseless content that disregards any attempt of balance or consistency with the rest of the game, or it's pretty pointless overall and adds nothing to the game.

I'd love a server that actually tries to fix Tibia's shortcomings and bad design ideas just for once.

You guys are missing the point. Ots in the beggining were easier to make, way easier, XML was limited but easy, mapping? Was easier, if you wanted to test a map in your computer you only had to put your on the server folder and run it, and you could test it locally. Try to do that today with a 10+ version map, its a real pain in the...

Everything got harder for new people, of course ots are not attracting new talent, they get overwhelmed with the amount of stuff that they have to learn.

Things get harder, because more is involed. New features, forks, etc.

If learning is something you don't want to do, then that's your problem.

You guys find all of this easy because most of us we have been playing and creating ots since the 7,6 era or below. And learning then was easier, and from there we have learnt new stuff among the way, and now we see compiling as something not so tedious, but imagine being told to do this in 8.0?

Not true. At all.

Why do you guys think companies like Apple, or Amazon are so succesfull? Because their products are Easy and Intuitive.

May be true, but you also can't customise a god damn thing, which is why their products are also shit.

That and Apple condones and still uses slave labor. Fuck Apple.

The next Open Tibia revolution should be focused on finding ways in making things easier and faster, so new talent arrives and we get new ots with new ideas.

Making custom ots has to become simpler.

It ultimately comes down to you learning a programming language and just understanding development. TFS and OTC is a whole game server and game client. It's not meant to be something a child can do, it requires you know what you're doing.

Like you said, maybe it's dying because people are just getting lazier. 🤷‍♂️

Yeah I know most ots just have cycle like this.
1. Have weekly updates and host events
2. Have monthly updates then rarely host events
3. Make an update like once a year then never host events
4. Reset and repeat the process but have like 1 update every month

I have only been lurking on this post and I liked the input a lot of people have had, but this is a very naive and ignorant statement. Sure the capital they have now definitely helps drive their success, but success itself isn't exclusively built on money and actually the two examples used were the exact opposite.

I have only been lurking on this post and I liked the input a lot of people have had, but this is a very naive and ignorant statement. Sure the capital they have now definitely helps drive their success, but success itself isn't exclusively built on money and actually the two examples used were the exact opposite.

Exactly, notice how nothing runs on a mac? lol

We already have grand line adventures,we already have pokemon tibia, we already have a medivia, we already have megatibia we already have 7.4, 8.6+ and even ats content OK.
What we want now or most of us want is a simple server like vanila style 7.1/7.4 servers not alot of bullshit with many content.
"mimimi 7.1/7.4" cant support hunts and spawns for 300+ players, soo what? when you were playing that on the time were you lvling 24/7? just because now you know where to lvl, where to farm, where to everything you think everyone needs to be able as well and be at your pace? NO, wanna be famous high lvl? lmao... no comments there. But dont come playing a 7.1/7.4 wanting to be lvl 300+ and wanting more content because demon hunt or warlock hunt cant handle your paced killing them. jesus... Thats why servers old cant have tasks, cant have mcs, cant have too many things that are for 8.0+, anyway if you desagree with me w/e, just keep failing and failing and failing.

just that its gonna happen nothing more.

sometimes you need to be the first one to be able to get something of it and medivia is an example. right now ppl won't bother with your server with content at same level or higher then medivia ok? they really wont because what medivia has to offer its already great.

Don't agree with @up. I think the problem is developers don't get enough of their product done before opening to the community. That's the base of the problem. Then instead of creating core things in the game they are too busy with adding more content for people that are power gaming. Over time the better developers start adding in the core things they wanted in the first place but by that time its such a big change that people don't like it so they quit.

If a developer took the time to make their client more user-friendly but the game itself challenging it would go well. If people don't feel like they are gaining anything by doing things on the game it will die quickly. That's why I stopped playing Tibia. Back in the day skills meant something. I could be level 8 with a double axe and kill a level 30. I had never played a game like that before tibia.

I've been saying this for the past years, the easier it is for people join our community more talents we would have.
The more complete and bug free is the base, more people could focus in doing custom things instead of recreating the same tibia actions.

We still have not reached cipsoft even though we have way more talented people... it's hard to expect professional game devs using our engine for anything else.

Reason why Open Tibia community is so dead is because when you join a server you expect some challanges something that changes your point of view and something else that most the games lack off (economy).

Trading is a huge thing in-game and a lot of people just don't understand how to manage such thing, it's actually really complex to create a system that makes people trade for real in a game, it's not like we all want to go back to the (rune economy) in those 7.X servers and we also hate that money just stacks up in our bank/depot whatever because money is just used to buy runes/blessings/travels.

MONEY! So they say... Is the root of all evil TODAY! Yes guys, pink floyd said that!

If the server has no root, there's no evil inside it, if the server is not evil, people won't be addicted to it. S I M P L E

NoPay2Win server is something people must think of, nobody wants to join a server where some guy payed 100USD when it started and it's already killing all the players online because he's kind of like a god. nononono, and people think opentibia servers are some kind of moneymaking machines, I mean for real, what the actual hell guys get a freaking real job it's not that hard! You can even make more money gathering foil on the streets and selling them by kilos.

Innovation is something we need, mobile client someone posted on the forum and maybe invest on a damn webclient. That's game changing.

The point is that when you do invest a lot of time in a project and you actually know what's the right path for the project, like avoiding those download and play distros, making it unique and attractive, addiction is something you must work on.

Making a server is like making a business, a homework, anything to be honest, if you expect to be something outstanding you have to put tons of effort on your ideas, people most of the time download stuff and expect that their server will be full of people in no time because whatever reasons.

You have to push it to the limit really go nutz and lose your mind when you're up to something, else, you're not really up to it.

Listen up everybody, the key of success in opentibia is making your game the most addictive game over all the other ones available.

I mean I just cant understand why people dont make some research of the open tibia community, there's data avaialable to be scrapped from serveral websites, like what's the most played version on 2020? what are the main features of the most played servers? what's the most common errors of the lowest populated servers? what feature is not available in any server? what do you have in your mind to grab all of those questions and make out something?

We all know guys that those servers available that have like 1 or 4 players are only webshells/scanners/botnets freely available for any infosec script kid and I guess nobody has an issue with that because I saw a few days ago someone in this forum advicing someone else to open ports 443/80/3306.

That's disturbing.

And it's more disturbing to see that ALMOST ALL THE FREAKING SERVERS AVAILABLE HAVE THE https://domain/system FOLDER AVAILABLE ON THEIR WEBSITE THAT'S JUST UNACCEPTABLE I MEAN WHY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!??!?!?!!?!?!??!

we will never reach cipsoft because they are the main creator, unless a leak happens 😁
we will never reach cipsoft because we are working in parallel but doing the same things... we lack coordination and most importantly - organization on next step actions.

There's no representative figure of a leadership, so we have small teams (3~4) people or even single workers making more progress than a community of 200...

Things change. Tibia had it's glory days. Same with Open Tibia. People get bored, tired, and move on to other games or do something different outside of the computer world. It's not rocket science.

Tibia/OT will never be the same as it was back in the days. And frankly, I don't even care. Tibia is a shit tier game anyways. kek

CipSoft needs to let Tibia die, and rebuild themselves.

CipSoft needs to let Tibia die, and rebuild themselves.
Well, it's not that simple, especially when you don't have much else and it's become more of a company just trying to keep one of the first MMOs alive. I can certainly understand that. The day will come sooner or later though, that's true.

Imagine coming to a forum centered around Tibia and calling it a shit tier game lol
Imagine being on a forum that hasn't really evolved in a decade while the whole community changed.
Shit tier forum fits a shit tier game I guess 😂

And it's more disturbing to see that ALMOST ALL THE FREAKING SERVERS AVAILABLE HAVE THE https://domain/system FOLDER AVAILABLE ON THEIR WEBSITE THAT'S JUST UNACCEPTABLE I MEAN WHY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!??!?!?!!?!?!??!
Because in the security department this community really hasn't evolved and is still in 2005 😭
At least it's getting better slowly with more servers using SSL.

A key problem is people's mindset. Wanting everything for free but wanting to earn money with everything on the internet.
That's not how this works guys.
Especially not in an open-source community, which this used to be. Things just changed and they won't change back.
But yeah people moving on is a big part of it too. Many here grew up with the game, but that's the point, they are grown up now.

Since I am lazy as fuck, I didn't read all the comments in detail and have no idea if I might just be repeating you guys :(

Back