• There is NO official Otland's Discord server and NO official Otland's server list. The Otland's Staff does not manage any Discord server or server list. Moderators or administrator of any Discord server or server lists have NO connection to the Otland's Staff. Do not get scammed!

You guys do not understand why OTs are dying.

Lol @ this thread and OP.

OTs are dying because theres no new players playing tibia and most of older tibia players have moved on with their lives. By definition, tibia is a dead game due to lack of new players.

People also enjoy server jumping and the rat's race at the beggining of any server and then they quit from a most random occurence you can imagine, or they just play for a few days to earn some pocket money by selling chars/runes/items.

Theres also way too many servers starting one after another which causes the server jumping. People just do not want to stick to one server because there is a new one waiting just around the corner and the entire cycle repeats.

8.60/Evolution servers needs something completely new and extraordinary for us to be able to enjoy nowadays. But in my opinion the one thing that
the "OT scene" really misses and need the most right now, is more long-term servers. I guess the majority of you guys remember the rise and fall of Shadowcores? Imagine getting something like Shadowcores/Lunarforce/Hexera etc. handed back to us again? EVERYONE might not share this idea with me, but the servers with most players now is Aurera-Global, Gunzodus.net and Utorion.org (Megatibia) and the one thing they have in common is - They are all global based and long term servers. Even tho they all suffer from some kind of bullshit (Bad administration, lags, content etc etc.) they attract the most players.

Aurera with 2k+ players, Gunzodus 1.5~k, Utorion 2k+ DAILY. We have three/four servers that are global and long-term. But on all those servers, people are talking about "Server needs reset" "Why aren't there more servers like this one." And so on, I honestly think that is due to the exp rate being too high and not something else. A fresh global long-term server with lower exp rates (maybe 1.5-2x?) COULD attract lots of people if it was made and developed by a skilled and serious team and 100% without any bugs and other stuff that makes people tilted and xlog.

This is probably just a dream scenario in my mind that'll never happen again, just wanted to share MY opinion! oao :)

No matter what age or universe you are in you will always come back to Tibia one way or another just accept it.

Hello everyone, OP here;

At the time this thread was posted, my intent was to create a healthy discussion, and I believe that was a success. Thats why I decided to leave.

As an "outsider", I have to say that the state of the "scene" has gotten worst, it's sad that we lost such a good opportunity. Covid + lockdowns + Online Game = Could have been an incredible success to reawaken the whole scene. But seems like all we did is make more RL OTs.

I've been messing around with OTservers since the beginning, and I've seen the evolution of the communities/scene, and this is probably the worst one, I remember in 8.54 when people used to complain because 20-30% of the OTservlist were Evolution servers, well, this time we got something like an 80% RL servers. And this is bad, if you scroll through the advertisement section here in OTLand you will see that almost every new server is RL based.

Worst thing is that most of those servers promise the same formulas as something never seen before: HURRR DURR "OLD SCHOOL CLIENT", "LOW RATES", "ANTI-BOT", or "BOT RIDDEN SERVERS", "2-3 NEW CITIES FROM NEW VERSIONS", "NO HOTKEYS", "THE LATEST CLIENT). And you see some slogans trying to sell the server as the next big thing: "The next long-term stable server", "Making Tibia Hard", blah blah blah. I'll rather play right now an x9999 broken Baiak which honestly I hate, but at least provides some novelty at the moment...

Worst thing I'm seeing is all those 8.6 servers that provides a download link for ELFBOT in their website, or those server with OTCLIENT Bot, you can find servers with 200 players where everyone is afk cavebotting except 5 players.
Some people forget that during CipSoft dark days (when they allowed botters to have full freedom and rule the game) many people came to play OTs because there were way less botters, now is the opposite, Tibia is growing, while OT's are sinking.

It's worrying, it's not anymore about "Making more custom map servers", it's about diversifying, we will reach a point were 90% of OTservlist will be RL servers, that's never good. It's always important to diversify to keep players engaged. Evos, Armonia, Custom, Yurots, even Baiaks are disappearing getting replaced by RLs, we will reach a point were players get tired, tired of wanting something new and the only novelty will be going from a 7.6 RL server to a 12.0 RL server, and soon enough they will either go back to RLTibia which provides a more stable experience also more novelty or looking for other games.

Hello everyone, OP here;

At the time this thread was posted, my intent was to create a healthy discussion, and I believe that was a success. Thats why I decided to leave.

As an "outsider", I have to say that the state of the "scene" has gotten worst, it's sad that we lost such a good opportunity. Covid + lockdowns + Online Game = Could have been an incredible success to reawaken the whole scene. But seems like all we did is make more RL OTs.

I've been messing around with OTservers since the beginning, and I've seen the evolution of the communities/scene, and this is probably the worst one, I remember in 8.54 when people used to complain because 20-30% of the OTservlist were Evolution servers, well, this time we got something like an 80% RL servers. And this is bad, if you scroll through the advertisement section here in OTLand you will see that almost every new server is RL based.

Worst thing is that most of those servers promise the same formulas as something never seen before: HURRR DURR "OLD SCHOOL CLIENT", "LOW RATES", "ANTI-BOT", or "BOT RIDDEN SERVERS", "2-3 NEW CITIES FROM NEW VERSIONS", "NO HOTKEYS", "THE LATEST CLIENT). And you see some slogans trying to sell the server as the next big thing: "The next long-term stable server", "Making Tibia Hard", blah blah blah. I'll rather play right now an x9999 broken Baiak which honestly I hate, but at least provides some novelty at the moment...

Worst thing I'm seeing is all those 8.6 servers that provides a download link for ELFBOT in their website, or those server with OTCLIENT Bot, you can find servers with 200 players where everyone is afk cavebotting except 5 players.
Some people forget that during CipSoft dark days (when they allowed botters to have full freedom and rule the game) many people came to play OTs because there were way less botters, now is the opposite, Tibia is growing, while OT's are sinking.

It's worrying, it's not anymore about "Making more custom map servers", it's about diversifying, we will reach a point were 90% of OTservlist will be RL servers, that's never good. It's always important to diversify to keep players engaged. Evos, Armonia, Custom, Yurots, even Baiaks are disappearing getting replaced by RLs, we will reach a point were players get tired, tired of wanting something new and the only novelty will be going from a 7.6 RL server to a 12.0 RL server, and soon enough they will either go back to RLTibia which provides a more stable experience also more novelty or looking for other games.
Truth is, the teams that do make a genuine effort to be something different, get shit on by the remaining trolls on Otland for whatever reason they can come up with, so we just stop hanging out here and have our own personal groups :S It sucks but it's the reality for quite a few.

Truth is, the teams that do make a genuine effort to be something different, get shit on by the remaining trolls on Otland for whatever reason they can come up with, so we just stop hanging out here and have our own personal groups :S It sucks but it's the reality for quite a few.
You’re right, I’ve seen that many good devs stay away from discussions here. At the end of the day most of those trolls are just envious people who can’t do anything and have too much time.

I just wish the Otland comunity will get back to that “openess”, “support each other” mentality.

I got some friends playing Open Tibia still. They ask me if I know any server that is good. And the only option I tell them is Archlight @Sir Knighter
The only server that deserves more recognition. All the other servers are just total ass. Open Tibia is used to make money nowdays, nobody cares about the feeling of the game anymore. That's why it's dying.

And the lack of new players, Tibia is a dead game, just face the truth...

I got some friends playing Open Tibia still. They ask me if I know any server that is good. And the only option I tell them is Archlight @Sir Knighter
The only server that deserves more recognition. All the other servers are just total ass. Open Tibia is used to make money nowdays, nobody cares about the feeling of the game anymore. That's why it's dying.

Actually, Tibia is very much "alive" for a MMORG from 1997. There are several other MMORPGs that would dream of having 19k+ concurrent players online and have been released more recently than Tibia has, yet have fallen short faster than Tibia did. Just have a look at TERA, AION, Blade & Soul, Vindictus, SWTOR, LOTR, ArcheAge, Revelation Online, Rift, Allods Online, Runes of Magic, Metin2 and others. All of these have online player counts from a couple hundreds to maybe spikes of 1-3k. Now, let's not focus on steam numbers only since many of those have also non-steam clients but that still is most likely way fewer concurrent players than Tibia has. So if Tibia is a dead game, what are these Games (some of which were even called Triple AAA MMOs)? Sure, Tibia has seen a decrease in player count given its' age but it still gets regular content (not only maintenance) patches and imho it's not half as bad off as some other well-known MMORGs out there. Add to that the OTS players from Otservlist (some 20k) and you have a solid 30-40k concurrent players of Tibia out there.

Those are also dead games, what's your point? And you are basically comparing a mobile 2D game with a bunch of high graphics 3D mmo's.

@Damon
It's a game that's very much alive in many people's hearts, while the industry is busy making only as much money out of it as possible and ruining competition.

Very flattering coming from you, thank you Neon. Wait till you see what our team has in store for 2021 :)

Actually, Tibia is very much "alive" for a MMORG from 1997. There are several other MMORPGs that would dream of having 19k+ concurrent players online and have been released more recently than Tibia has, yet have fallen short faster than Tibia did. Just have a look at TERA, AION, Blade & Soul, Vindictus, SWTOR, LOTR, ArcheAge, Revelation Online, Rift, Allods Online, Runes of Magic, Metin2 and others. All of these have online player counts from a couple hundreds to maybe spikes of 1-3k. Now, let's not focus on steam numbers only since many of those have also non-steam clients but that still is most likely way fewer concurrent players than Tibia has. So if Tibia is a dead game, what are these Games (some of which were even called Triple AAA MMOs)? Sure, Tibia has seen a decrease in player count given its' age but it still gets regular content (not only maintenance) patches and imho it's not half as bad off as some other well-known MMORGs out there. Add to that the OTS players from Otservlist (some 20k) and you have a solid 30-40k concurrent players of Tibia out there.
I agree, Tibia is not dead, at least RL tibia, they have mantained a similar amount of players for the past years while increasing profits (by prostituting the game, a.k.a TibiaCoins, Char Sales, Etc.), I wouldn't count OT players honestly, from those 20k im sure that at least a 60% or more are bots, OTs are filled with bots nowadays, just see the amount of 8.6 servers we have, enter any of them and go to trainers or any hunt zone.

Tibia will alwayshave this niche market, the retro style graphics and the continual progression makes it addictive as crack.

Agree with you, however I comment on my case: I have designed a completely custom server based on the Karmia map, it is totally rpg and is designed to be longterm, however when it comes to bringing players I have not succeeded, because Apparently they want easy and fast exp to up level, I personally took care not to leave a single bug and even import new functions to the 8.60 platform with the target dummy to train, however, neither doing an excellent job ingame and on the website with automated systems I have managed to bring public. Here are some screenshots of my project.

I think one of the biggest problems is the advertising of the servers and the monopoly of otserverlist. For a person like me or a person who has a serious project and lives in the USA or an American country, it is very expensive to pay a publication of 90 dollars a week or a yellow bar for 20 dollars in otserverlist. When on facebook or google ads you can get many more views for a lower price.

There are many reasons why your server might not be successing, spending 90 dollas a week in advertising doesn't mean your server will be succesfull, I've seen many servers spending money in OTservlist and having a horrible experience when it comes to atracting players. At the end of the day if your server is great and fun you'll eventually attract long term players if you do a bit of advertisment, in the other hand if your server is complete trash no matter how much you spend people will leave after a few hours.

We are in 2020, advertising can be made cost effective or for free, you just have to know how to do it and where to dedicate the proper amount of time. You have free platforms like YouTube, were you can upload regular videos of your Updates, as well as some gameplays / trailers, you also have communities like OTland, with the advertising sections, were if im honest, most advertisment Threads are complete trash, they put the minimum information, 2-3 pictures and the website.

Also, in Otservlist the best advertisment section for me, is free, is your server description, it's incredible how most server descriptions are boring or too short like: Join us today!. Rpg Map NOP2W. etc.

People don't dedicate the proper amount of time, nor the effort to work with what they have, which is enough.

Also, it can also mean that you haven't thought about your server well, for example I'd love to play your server, is actually something im looking for, but you just said that it's a 8.6 server therefore, for me, its a hard pass, i won't even try it because I know that by being 8.6 the few players that are playing will be botting, so I'll rather play a server with 5-10 active players than 40 bots.
Or maybe is the Exp rate, if you have something like 2x, or 3x, I won't bother, because in my opinion, that's too grindy and ill rather be grinding in RL TIBIA since I know it will be there for a long time.

Those are also dead games, what's your point? And you are basically comparing a mobile 2D game with a bunch of high graphics 3D mmo's.
2D or 3D doesn't matter at this point imho. I was referring to "popular" MMORPGs in general. These MMORPGs are way more known than Tibia, get regular articles in game magazines etc while Tibia gets almost no pr attention yet keeps adding new content and has a solid player base. I wouldn't consider it dead. Then, there are people who wouldn't consider the MMORPGs I mentioned earlier dead either. Anyway, just my two cents. Not like my opinion is the holy grail or anything. It was just that these MMORPGs crossed my mind when I thought of more recently published MMOs with fewer player count than tibia.

I agree, Tibia is not dead, at least RL tibia, they have mantained a similar amount of players for the past years while increasing profits (by prostituting the game, a.k.a TibiaCoins, Char Sales, Etc.), I wouldn't count OT players honestly, from those 20k im sure that at least a 60% or more are bots, OTs are filled with bots nowadays, just see the amount of 8.6 servers we have, enter any of them and go to trainers or any hunt zone.

Tibia will alwayshave this niche market, the retro style graphics and the continual progression makes it addictive as crack.
Online counter from otservlist.org is not a valid point to compare. Many servers were banned from this list or owners decided to rely more on the forums/facebook/streamers and players' loyalty than otslist and they're just not present here.

Online counter from otservlist.org is not a valid point to compare. Many servers were banned from this list or owners decided to rely more on the forums/facebook/streamers and players' loyalty than otslist and they're just not present here.
plus the fact that people play multiple servers so numbers would be duplicated also.. Hell, people may play RL tibia and ots at the same time. But we get threads like these fairly regularly.

In the end, even when and if Tibia itself closes, where are the 10-20k players going to flood to? OTS... So there is life in this still and maybe more to come.

plus the fact that people play multiple servers so numbers would be duplicated also.. Hell, people may play RL tibia and ots at the same time. But we get threads like these fairly regularly.

In the end, even when and if Tibia itself closes, where are the 10-20k players going to flood to? OTS... So there is life in this still and maybe more to come.
10-20k players? We should remember that 20k active today may be different players than 20k playing week ago. For sure there is a high % of same players playing everyday but active player base is much bigger. Same for OTS.

Tibia literally has Servers with 50 players at peak hour playing... CipSoft needs to get their heads out of their asses and do something.

Back