• There is NO official Otland's Discord server and NO official Otland's server list. The Otland's Staff does not manage any Discord server or server list. Moderators or administrator of any Discord server or server lists have NO connection to the Otland's Staff. Do not get scammed!

dedicated or VPS or wtf?

melroth

Scripter / GFX
Reaction score
Hi all,

hope someone can share some light on this.

currently i am hosting my server of my home computer and then once the server gets more populated i planed on buying a dedicated server (good idea huh :thumbup:)

but the thing is after speaking with this guy about a server he mentioned about buying a VPS but i took into account that he has no idea about tibia and has never played it so his advice might of been useless,

so i have decided to ask you guys if anyone can explain abit more to me about which i should go for..

after searching around ive found most cheap VPS servers are like "512 ram Guarantee" which is -cough- crap -cough- so have i just been searching the wrong place or what?

server specs i would like

dual core +
3gb ram +
good HDD+
ATLEAST 40mb up+
any OS dosent matter much to me

any help would be great

Melroth

Last edited:
VPS = Virtual Private Machine

A VPS is basically a computer that has multiple instances of operating systems installed and running. Each of these operating systems is an independant "Virtual Computer" running inside of another computer.

Thus if you're paying for a VPS, you're actually hosting your server on a computer that is running a multitude of other operating systems, as well as other server applications, thus you aren't getting 100% out of the server specs.

I'd suggest a dedicated machine, because then you have more control over what happens to it, you can order more ram, better CPU's and whatnot.

ya thx rex helps me decide that its better to pay the extra ... but just to make sure i understand about the partitions does that mean that the internet is also cut into parts,

like if they say 100/100 would it be like the same principal as a router.. split connections to and would that also mean that if another client on the system is downloading that would effect my part ?

hope that makes sense

thank you again
Melroth

but just to make sure i understand about the partitions does that mean that the internet is also cut into parts,

like if they say 100/100 would it be like the same principal as a router.. split connections to and would that also mean that if another client on the system is downloading that would effect my part?

Yes, It means that the incoming/outgoing internet is also split up between the virtual computers.

HOWEVER!

It's nothing you should be worrying about, because that's just the LAN between the computer and the router, the router handling the internet of course.
And most, if not all, business network cards supports 1GBIT/s, not to mention that most of these VPS-machines has 2 or more network cards, that means that the server computer has 2GBIT/s LAN running in and out of the machine to the router.
Thus even if the machine hosted 20 virtual servers (which is rather unlikely), you would still get access to 100Mbit/s, and saturating that much with only a tibia server is something you will not do even if hosting 5000 users.

Back