• There is NO official Otland's Discord server and NO official Otland's server list. The Otland's Staff does not manage any Discord server or server list. Moderators or administrator of any Discord server or server lists have NO connection to the Otland's Staff. Do not get scammed!

Dedicated Server

I would recommend hetzner.de, very cheap and good servers (installation fee on some servers, but worth it)

I am paying 49 euro per month for i7 quad 950 and 8GB RAM DDR3

Operating system Linux
openSuSE 11.1,
Ubuntu 8.04 LTS,
Debian 4.0,
Debian 5.0 LAMP,
Fedora 11 LAMP,
CentOS

Operating system Windows
Windows Webserver 2008 (+US$20/mo),
Windows Standard Edition 2008 (+US$30/mo)

Options
32 bit (only Linux), 64 bit, with or without Plesk

This means that you can choose between Linux and Windows, but choosing Windows will cost you $20 - $30 more per month depending on what edition you choose.
In addition, if you choose Linux, you can choose between 32-bit and 64-bit operating system, but if you pick Windows, you can only choose 64-bit.

what would be your suggestion windows or linux, and btw i have never used linux so would it be hard for me to get my server online

Well I can help you. But yes of course the beginning is hard to save all commands.

Well i am thinkng of going with windows but i dont know what one to choose (going with windows cause i know that best.

Windows Webserver 2008 (+US$20/mo),
Windows Standard Edition 2008 (+US$30/mo)

If you do not have good knowledge in linux, do NOT take it! It will only result in unnecessary security risks because you will not know how to properly protect yourself.

I would strongly recommend Windows Standard Edition 2008 over the other, because the other one is like the name implies, mainly meant for web servers running IIS, and imposes unnecessary limitations.
Standard Edition can however be used for any purpose, IIS webserver, Regular webserver, server host and more. IMO a very well spent $10 a month.

Thanks for your feedback, i will go with what you said rexxar, thanks for the information

Does any know what RAID1 or Plesk 9.2 is or should i just go with the normal windows

Well i got my dedi server up and running, but when i try to goto localhost it comes up with this

Server Error in Application "DEFAULT WEB SITE"

HTTP Error 404.0 - Not Found
The resource you are looking for has been removed, had its name changed, or is temporarily unavailable.

Well i got my dedi server up and running, but when i try to goto localhost it comes up with this

Did you install apache or anything? And have you placed a proper index.html/index.php/index.asp?

When i try to install apache 2.2 it says "ports 80 or 443 (SSL) already in use! installing apache failed"

i think remote desktop is using the port 80 but im not too sure

Last edited:
Raid1 is a must if you don't want to lose everything on your harddrive if it crashes. It can take all from 1 month to 10 years, but it happends. Plesk is just some unneeded config control panel.

If you have a server edition of windows you ussaly have IIS running so you need to disable it first. Also I would suggest you to go for Lighttpd (like LightTPD or WLMPP) instead of Apache & WAMPP. Faster, lighter and more optimazed out of the box (good if you don't know how to do it yourself).

Back