• There is NO official Otland's Discord server and NO official Otland's server list. The Otland's Staff does not manage any Discord server or server list. Moderators or administrator of any Discord server or server lists have NO connection to the Otland's Staff. Do not get scammed!

Do you ever restart your computer?

Zisly

Intermediate OT User
Reaction score
Do you ever restart your computer when you host a server?
Just wondering if it's something that could be added to serv manager, I'm planning on updating it again :p

Yes, about once a week/month.
For performance purposes.

I close it every day, restart it every 10 hour or so
and somtimes i even turnit of for 2 days lol because my dad says your evul a 1week and this computer is still running
jajaja

Not really, my server have been up for months without any problem (lags/frezes/kicks), i just restart it when i launch an update or when my debi used SWAP (which is almost impossible since i have 8 gb ram so w/e)....

EDIT: 300 hours uptime right and the computer 14 days up :]

Last edited:
Not really, have been up for months without any problem (lags/frezes/kicks), i just restart it when i launch an update or when my debi used SWAP (which is almost impossible since i have 8 gb ram so w/e)....

EDIT: 300 hours uptime right now :]

technically thats bad for your computer. restarting every so often is good :)

technically thats bad for your computer. restarting every so often is good :)

Your talking about windows ;] *NIX is made for stability, So if we have stability no memory leak, No bugs inside the OS and a good manage of ram&cpu&swap why would i restart, i have seen servers (Not tibian servers) with *NIX in it which have been running YEARS so don't talk about a thing you don't know a shit ok?

Your talking about windows ;] *NIX is made for stability, So if we have stability no memory leak, No bugs inside the OS and a good manage of ram&cpu&swap why would i restart, i have seen servers (Not tibian servers) with *NIX in it which have been running YEARS so don't talk about a thing you don't know a shit ok?

wow dude chill out...why you get so defencive? bad day?

Yes, about once a week/month.
For performance purposes.

No wonder your damn server gets so laggy.

Up to a month with no restart? God damn bro unless you have a water cooling system, your only hurting your computer by doing that. The intense heat itself will make your computer work slower, and if it gets to hot you have no more computer. Not to mention, any memory leaks in your server, (Not sure if it has any) will cause such a waste of RAM.

Even cipsoft restarts their servers once a day, you should go for at least once per 2 days.

Are you tired of the customer neglect of TibiaBotNG? Do you think LoW needs to add more updates? Are you tired of using a crappy bot because its a cheap alternative to Elf? Well, dont be tired anymore! Check out my blog!

Last edited:

Up to a month with no restart? God damn bro unless you have a water cooling system, your only hurting your computer by doing that. The intense heat itself will make your computer work slower, and if it gets to hot you have no more computer. Not to mention, any memory leaks in your server, (Not sure if it has any) will cause such a waste of RAM.

Even cipsoft restarts their servers once a day, you should go for at least once per 2 days.

See what Cipsoft is and how many servers they have, in addition multiworld.

It also depends on the RAM and processor will result if the computer the number of hours. :thumbup:

wow dude chill out...why you get so defencive? bad day?

minding of having another fight? Sorry, Not possible. and i just get defensive with persons who is seeking a fight on every post with a person who OWNED THEM talking the TRUTH so please keep your mouth closed instead of talking crap....

Hello bro have you ever heard of Linux? and my server computer stay in the same temperature almost all the day, Ofc it incress a bit on peak times but not that much....

You said 'SERVERS' this thread is about computer restarts (Probb you was refering servers as hosting server, Sorry if i understood bad).... Still idk if cipsoft restart their comp but i really doubt it is not needed if your program is developed well and your os is not FULL of bugs and memory leaks like winblow.....

See what Cipsoft is and how many servers they have, in addition multiworld.

Doesnt matter how many they have, they aren't all hosted on one machine, so its and adequate comparison to an ot with hundreds of players and a huge map.

Hello bro have you ever heard of Linux?
Yes.

and your os is not FULL of bugs and memory leaks like winblow.....
It really has nothing to do with the OS being "winblow," it has to do with the application causing the leaks.

Are you tired of the customer neglect of TibiaBotNG? Do you think LoW needs to add more updates? Are you tired of using a crappy bot because its a cheap alternative to Elf? Well, dont be tired anymore! Check out my blog!

Last edited:
longest uptime my server comp has had was 34~ days. only reason why i restart is for package upgrades.

It really has nothing to do with the OS being "winblow," it has to do with the application causing the leaks.

It have been proven already that linux manage better the cpu&ram&network but ok if you don't belive me then test it yourself go mount 2 computers 1 with windows and 1 with linux, open tfs on both and wait around 2 weeks or a month then tell me which one have slow down... Also i tested it a lot with some open sources web pages even my CMS but the most dramatical was PHPSYSINFO, On winblows phpsysinfo always took 1 or more seconds to load on linux less than 0.0400 to load and it can be with 1 week 1 month 1 year without restart or even more in linux it will be always the same unless you have crappy codded softwares.... In other words and my opinion: Windows for serious hosting = Not Possible.

When i used to host my server on a windows computer it always had problems, Db crashed, slow downs, the CPU was always a problem, the stupid explorer.exe was ALWAYS CRASHING, even had BLUE SCREEN OF DEATH few times AND IT WAS A CLEAN INSTALL OF WINDOWS XP....

And when i switched to linux (Like 1~2 years ago) my database haven't crashed YET, my computer have not crashed YET the performance is always the same not like windows....

Also my players felt the change in-game, they told me that the server was running so smooth....

Last edited:
KK then test it yourself go mount 2 computers 1 with windows and 1 with linux, open tfs on both and wait around 2 weeks or a month then tell me which one have slow down... Also i tested it a lot with some open sources web pages even my CMS but the most dramatical was PHPSYSINFO, On winblows phpsysinfo always took 1 or more seconds to load on linux less than 0.0400 to load and it can be with 1 week 1 month 1 year without restart or even more in linux it will be always the same unless you have crappy codded softwares.... In other words and my opinion: Windows for serious hosting = Not Possible.

When i used to host my server on a windows computer it always had problems, Db crashed slow downs the CPU was always a problem, the stupid explorer.exe was ALWAYS CRASHING, even had BLUE SCREEN OF DEATH few times AND IT WAS A CLEAN INSTALL OF WINDOWS XP....

And when i switched to linux (Like 1~2 years ago) my database haven't crashed YET, my computer have not crashed YET the performance is always the same not like windows....

Also my players felt the change in-game, they told me that the server was running so smooth....

You getting way off subject. This thread isnt about windows or linux or which one hosts better.

And the only reason you got those windows problems is because you didnt restart enough, I used XP pro for 4 years and NEVER got a blue screen of death and I can only recall explorer crashing once or twice.

Last edited:
You getting way off subject. This thread isnt about windows or linux or which one hosts better.

And the only reason you got those windows problems is because you didnt restart enough, I used XP pro for 4 years and NEVER got a blue screen of death and I can only recall explorer crashing once or twice.

THANKS for pointing it, couldn't be better explained by a programmer which his base OS is windows, In other words (This is my personal opinion don't take it as insult) Linux for hosting == PERFECT FOR HOSTING, HIGH UPTIME AND STABILITY and on the other hand Windows for hosting == LOW UPTIME, SLOW-DOWNS AND LESS STABILITY.....

When we talk about hosting we all thinks about STABILITY, PERFORMANCE AND UPTIME So Zisly i guess here is well explained, you have 2 ways to follow Windows Or Linux...

EDIT:

TO prove you what i'm talking about just look at this picture, the home page (which display 5 news taken from the data base) of my CMS load time 0.0012 SECS with 310 hours UP-TIME, Also ignore the red thingy i was just hidding the news etc xD...
http://i26.tinypic.com/swd468.jpg

Also if someone mind this page is completely made by me except the mysqli/mysql classes which are made by Talaturen (Also i got permission from him to use them) and the layout AAA AND ALSO the header which is made by one of my CMS...

Last edited:

I don't host my server off a normal computer? <_<
Regardless, I restart it plenty.

Back