• There is NO official Otland's Discord server and NO official Otland's server list. The Otland's Staff does not manage any Discord server or server list. Moderators or administrator of any Discord server or server lists have NO connection to the Otland's Staff. Do not get scammed!

Do you like to play Incomplete(Beta) Servers? (That may reset)

Do you play Closed or Open Betas of Video Games?

• Total voters

Flatlander

Species Developer
Solutions
Reaction score
I'm still working on my server, it is a long process.

My main issue currently is trying to make the OTClient less demanding so people won't have FPS issues.
BUT it would help A SHIT LOAD if I actually had people using my client and telling me when their FPS drops.

I've been thinking about releasing my server into a "Beta" for a while now. It isn't complete but it is still fun and can be played forever basically.

There are a TON of issues with the server currently, and those are the things I know of.

Answer the poll, and if you want to leave more details please reply.

I recently put up my server in an early stage, content is up for maybe 1-80 in a decently low rate. Players were there at start, but knowing that the server will reset has put even my friends off from playing until I actually launch it.

I'd honestly wait until the server is ready for a proper launch.

I recently put up my server in an early stage, content is up for maybe 1-80 in a decently low rate. Players were there at start, but knowing that the server will reset has put even my friends off from playing until I actually launch it.

I'd honestly wait until the server is ready for a proper launch.

Well honestly I don't expect to have long-time players of the server when it is in Beta.

I would expect to have players play until they are bored, and maybe visit back with each update.
The real reason you put it up is for feedback and bug reports. I don't really care about having a healthy population in a Beta.

(I would probably also remove any end-game style content so when the game releases, there is MUCH more to explore, and maybe place a level-cap)

I usually just play a beta til I get bored, and come back with each update and check how things are progressing

if you want to do it to try and fix otclients fps issues, you should add some kind of automatic fps logger into it, maybe taking screenshots every few seconds when fps drops etc (optional ofc)

Early and continued public testing processes are important in product design, not only to find issues but more importantly to give you an opportunity to observe the testers and how they react to product elements. The objective of the observation is to tweak and pivot design choices as required to suit the target audience. The worst case scenario of not following this is that you spend a long time creating something that nobody wants.

methodology_innovation.jpg

Last edited:
Most projects that you have released are never finished, yet are always fun to play until a certain point.
Knowing your previous projects I can almost guarantee I will have some fun and login everyone once in a while to see the updates.
Can't say the same for others.

It's almost the thread I wanted to bring out, but with the different goal. (I will get to that in week or 2, then you see what I meant about it)

onTopic:
I answered "No, I will wait for the full release of any game".
The only game I played on closed beta was Path of Exile (several years ago), everything else I have been waiting out patiently.
Now as person who seeks beta testers I see the different side of coin, what if I would have played all the games I knew there was beta for it, maybe I could of be part of change?

Well my server has been online for a year now. Surprisingly lot of people have joined and tested server even though mainly I just make wall of text posts about updates.
Once every few months I get player who plays the shit out of game. Like seriously grinds 6+ hours, several days in row. These are the epic moments you can adjust the game flow quite well.

My suggestions:

Keep doing these videos where you explain what you added. These are really good :D, got me interested.
Have patience, you might get to state where nobody plays for week/month even if you keep putting out updates.
Plan a lot ahead, don't let *nobody playing* get away in your progress. Have something to add or improve at any times.

And something technical what you may or may not do already (I started with this few months ago xD) make the codes create log files or print results.
Code will look more uglier :/ but its worth it.

Good question and topic. I'll keep an eye on this thread. ;)

In my opinion, it's important that developers and server owners know whether or not they even require an Alpha or Beta. I'm sure there are many who just think a Beta is "cool" and don't actually need it, and end up hurting their launch because the fun and experience of the game is over. Firstly, they need to understand what an Alpha and Beta are for. There is a difference between the two. :p Secondly, they need to determine if they need one. (It seems 9/10 servers that have a "Beta" don't actually need one.) And lastly, they should be able to handle mass reports, complaints, suggestions, etc. in a timely manner. Alpha's and Beta's also shouldn't last too long. I've seen this destroy the hype of many servers in the past. My recommendation is that you limit the extent at which people can play and prepare yourself (as much as possible) for any outcome - good or bad.

The point is not to see if people "like" the game. The point is to prepare the game and adapt.

Regards,
J.Dre

Sent from my iPhone

Last edited:
It's almost the thread I wanted to bring out, but with the different goal. (I will get to that in week or 2, then you see what I meant about it)

onTopic:
I answered "No, I will wait for the full release of any game".
The only game I played on closed beta was Path of Exile (several years ago), everything else I have been waiting out patiently.
Now as person who seeks beta testers I see the different side of coin, what if I would have played all the games I knew there was beta for it, maybe I could of be part of change?

Well my server has been online for a year now. Surprisingly lot of people have joined and tested server even though mainly I just make wall of text posts about updates.
Once every few months I get player who plays the shit out of game. Like seriously grinds 6+ hours, several days in row. These are the epic moments you can adjust the game flow quite well.

My suggestions:

Keep doing these videos where you explain what you added. These are really good :D, got me interested.
Have patience, you might get to state where nobody plays for week/month even if you keep putting out updates.
Plan a lot ahead, don't let *nobody playing* get away in your progress. Have something to add or improve at any times.

And something technical what you may or may not do already (I started with this few months ago xD) make the codes create log files or print results.
Code will look more uglier :/ but its worth it.

I've also been thinking about just doing 3 day tests.

• Advertise a Beta a week in advance.
  • Start it on Friday Morning.
  • Close it down on Sunday Night.
If I get get a lot of information in a short amount of time, then work on the server using that information, it would probably be more beneficial.

Plus players have more fun when there are more people online anyway I think. The only issue would be people that think "3 days isn't enough time to do anything of value" so they don't even play.

If I get get a lot of information in a short amount of time, then work on the server using that information, it would probably be more beneficial.

Plus players have more fun when there are more people online anyway I think. The only issue would be people that think "3 days isn't enough time to do anything of value" so they don't even play.
I'm still testing this, but maybe its good to give common goal or activity to play trough, other than, lets play and see who gets further.

I used to have goals before, like (this date, that time, we go test this boss or this quest, etc)
And now with recent update with new tutorial. Few people who had character, made new one and played trough it.
But when I made updates like: Improved this or added that and where you don't have direct access to these areas, then I didn't get any activity at all.

3 day spurts with more players is more fun than less players and longer time for sure, if you think 3 days isnt enough to experience enough, you could just speed up progress in some way

I wouldn't want to give players a "Goal" because the point would be to make sure players "knew what to do" when playing.

When someone enters your server, they should feel clear direction and feel like they are going somewhere and getting stuff done. Otherwise players will feel lost and log out.

If players feel lost or bored and log out within a couple of hours. I clearly haven't created an enjoyable experience.

Speaking from personal experience, Necronia has been in closed beta (select few got free entry, others had to pay for it) for over a year, and now in open beta for a while, and from a developer's point of view, keeping it available to players one way or another has helped a great lot with gathering ideas and opinions, useful feedback and even spreading the word about the server in general. If you are looking to test stuff, just make sure to give people a set amount of content they can play through in order to test stuff, or if you are targeting to test a specific function of your client/game, even make some content that is centered around that function, and release the test server.

It doesn't have to have millions of players, as long as you are getting the valuable info that you need to keep your progress going, it's gonna be good.
Accounts/characters created on Necronia so far | 10-30 people online daily at the moment <-- The comparison is huge, but across this time span it has yielded a ton of bug reports, suggestions for improving the game, and other positive results, so yeah, I'd advise you to go just keep it up online and keep people updated on what you're doing (i.e. detailed changelog and frequent posts on otland or other media of your choosing).

I haven't ever played any of your servers, but I see you posting frequently on otland with custom stuff and I've heard some from Sportacus' stories, so it'll be good to have another custom server around here, even if it's in beta.
Good luck.

Good to see the majority of players would try a Beta.

I'll try to get my server to a point where it feels ready to test.
I'm mostly interested in how my client is going to work for everyone.

had you already fixed client's fps drop?
since I'm probably the main target for this (i've got the cheapest notebook of 2012 and I think my PC specifications would be a good minimum requirement for OTC) i would for sure give a try

had you already fixed client's fps drop?
since I'm probably the main target for this (i've got the cheapest notebook of 2012 and I think my PC specifications would be a good minimum requirement for OTC) i would for sure give a try

Trust me I have friends with worse computers. And I don't support the dream that I will get everyone playing at 60 FPS.
But if I could get most people above 30 FPS that would be a goal.

I have done a LOT of changes to help the FPS rates, but I still have ONE friend with a REALLY shit PC that goes down to 10 or less FPS when more than 20 creatures are fighting on his screen.

Ok
Are you contributor of OTC or these changes are related to your project?

If I find a systemic change that will fix the OTClient I will contribute.

Most of my changes are specific to the way I run my server currently.

I plan to re-write how characters are drawn and how the textures are saved, and THAT once working I will contribute for sure. Since I have been told it should improve the FPS on slower graphics cards greatly.

Back